Alfa Romeo's 1000 days to recovery - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 37 Old 31-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Alfa Romeo's 1000 days to recovery

New Alfa Romeo boss Luca de Meo has been given 1000 days to turn around the company’s fortunes.

de Meo: “You have to rebuild all the old Alfa values of spirit, agility and responsiveness into today’s cars,”

Now that sounds quite a change in direction to me.

A much better direction IMHO too.

Source
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Re: Alfa Romeo's 1000 days to recovery

Absolutely!

The aspiration is spot on
As he also said, “It’s a lot of work, but it’s not rocket science”

Can't wait to see the reviews on the fitter/lighter Brera/159 models. Although, I'm sceptical a 50kg reduction in weight will make that much difference
AO Gold Member

County: -

The Italian's like to talk, but can they 'walk the walk....... '
Methinks that is almost too big an ask to turn the company totally around in 3 years.....
It means that the Junior has to be already almost there (to late to change ), and the 149 totally there ............
as the 159 is not in the 'ball park'
AO Silver Member

Garage

But in 3 years they could have a third generation/replacement 159 ready to go that was a bit more ALFA.

Don't forget they've already started on the journey. there have been huge steps taken with the UK dealer network and key quality advancements in new models and QC controls.
AO Silver Member

Well bear in mind that it's the very "Alfa-ness" of the cars that meant BMW/Audi brigade wiped the floor with Alfa on the sales front in the past. Most people want a car that has a high build quality, reliability, luxury and practicality - that's what we get from the new Alfas and that's why sales are up.

I am all for having a spirited light alfa with high build quality, luxury and reliability, but I do wonder whether the 2 are diametric opposites.

I mean, an F1 car is amazingly fast and spirited but can't even be started without 80C water and oil being pumped in by a team of engineers. That doesn't sell on the high street.

Brat Pack no.8

Well, as Alfa themselves say: "beauty is not enough"

Once you have beauty and quality, you need to distinguish yourself from the pack with other USPs and traditionall Alfas have been known for sophisticated engineering and spirit. It's these last tw ponits that they now need to work on to give us back what we had in the fifties and sixties.
i don't mention the period before that because then they were part of the exotica and well out of the reach of mainstream purchasers.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

Thing is i dont want a BMW or AUDI alternative,which is the benchmark most manufactures seem to be aiming for.I like Alfa Romeo to be a bit special without all the stuff and noncence.Yes build quality needs to improve as do the dealerships,but i dont want to be driving a rep-mobile.IMO Alfa should be building lighter more powerful cars with lots of Alfa sprit and noise and keep the 166 or 169 for chaseing Rep sales
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

lets not get excited by a few prepared statements, its just the same old sales pitch marketing crap that every company uses and rarely live up to. it tells you nothing about the company's plans, or how they aim to achieve their goals, all it really tells you is how good their marketing department are at coming up with sales pitches and how unrealsitic the board's expectations are. give me a good car, and back it up with a good dealer, i dont want to hear your crap about spirit.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie GTV View Post
Thing is i dont want a BMW or AUDI alternative,which is the benchmark most manufactures seem to be aiming for.I like Alfa Romeo to be a bit special without all the stuff and noncence.Yes build quality needs to improve as do the dealerships,but i dont want to be driving a rep-mobile.IMO Alfa should be building lighter more powerful cars with lots of Alfa sprit and noise and keep the 166 or 169 for chaseing Rep sales
I totally agree with this. People won't want Alfa's if they are too much like BMW's. People with BMW's would carry on buying them, where as Alfa fans would not want one as it is too much like a BMW.

Looked what happened to the Fiat Stilo, when they tried to make it like a VW. It didn't exactly sell well.

Alfa's need to be light, agile and sound great and be exclusive, not be just a good looking bit of ordinary porridge.

I love my 156, but I wish they were not as common.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

I bet if you rolled things back 10 years, you could repeat this debate with the 145/155 range vs the 147/156 range. The more things change the more they remain the same.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

and 10 years ago Alfa were about to banish the quality problems and sought out the dealers
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51

Blurb it may be, what is true though is that Mr DeMeo is extremely well thought of within Fiat. He has been credited with much of the turn around the brand has seen. For Fiat to put him in at Alfa is a good sign. However, if he were to fail then god knows what will happen!
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

50 kilos is sod all. That's a good dump for me after a tidy sized Sunday roast Better, more fuel efficient engines with more power yes though

Alfa have to compete with the German makes. They need to be mainstream but still Alfa to succeed and if they succeed, they can do some niche cars from the cash success will bring them.

Read the Autocar Brera report off that link. There are loads of positives in there and the negatives are nothing we've not all said ourselves.

Cheers,
AO Member

There does seem to be a huge effort by Fiat Group to capitalise on the Alfa Romeo brand which is good news. I know a huge number of BMW, Audi and Merc owners who would buy an ALFA in the morning "if they could trust them". I dont accept that the 159 is "not in the ball park" its an excellent Alfa that handles well, sounds, great albeit at the upper end of the rev range only, and looks simply stunning. Its about 5% off in terms of build quality and 5% off in terms of development but way ahead in terms of styling. Further development and better quality without diluting the styling will make the 159 the first Alfa imo that can be bought with the head and the heart. The 159 is a great car that could become an outstanding one......well within 1000 days
(Post Link) post #16 of 37 Old 31-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I think "agility and responsiveness" are the keywords.

Sakis posted an interesting article on how the Fiat group are going down the route of downsizing engines and turbocharging.

If they also shed weight of the rest of the cars at the design stage (a bit late now for the 1000 days), then they have that all important USP without having to take on BMW quite so directly.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Glad to see he seems to "get" what's needed and has a vision. Let's hope they don't replace him soon, as Fiat tends to do
(Post Link) post #18 of 37 Old 01-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

A slightly more researched article in the Telegraph:

Fiat guru to drive Alfa Romeo turnaround - Telegraph
AO Gold Member

Quality is not that hard if you design it in to the car in the first place. Then buy components to a 'valid' specification and then assemble it using people who actually care what they are doing..... Hmmmm "Italy' ....!!!!!!

I see from the Telegraph that the FIAT 500 is being in Poleland..... I thought the Poles were all in the UK

Are they also made in Italy?
AO Gold Member

"The UK customers are the most sophisticated in the world," says Mr de Meo, "and customer relationships and profitability have to be good in Britain. If we can do it there, it should work anywhere."

Presumably the reason we are being 'Screwed' in Australiaa with cars over 1 year old being sold as new cars and no choice...yes it keeps cost down but BMW for example offers a lot of choice ....... and sells 5 times or more as many cars

For example in the first 3 months of 2007
Alfa sold 463 (up from 373 in 2006)
BMW sold 3,726 (down from 3,856 in 2006)
VW sold 6,377 (up from 4,075 in 2006)
Audi sold 1,929 (up from 1,366 in 2006)

Not sure how this compares i.e. Alfa to BMW sales in places like the UK

From what I understand of the Australian market , it is one of the toughest and competative markets in the word. Probably the reason that Alfa sell the same numbers of cars in Australia these days as they did nearly 30 years ago when we had less than 2/3rds the current population and import quotas and high import tarrifs.

Last edited by Stori; 01-02-08 at 07:30.
Global Mod Team

Thanks for the link Padders
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stori View Post
Not sure how this compares i.e. Alfa to BMW sales in places like the UK
Stori, in the UK there are more BMW 3 series sold than Ford Mondeos....
Global Mod Team

That's because you brits are all rich posh gits ...

AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksAlfas View Post
Stori, in the UK there are more BMW 3 series sold than Ford Mondeos....
So BMWman is more common than Mondeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
That's because you brits are all rich posh gits ...

Ahh, now there's an example of perception over reality....(debt ridden economy?)

The main reason we see so many BMWs here in the Uk is because they are mostly fleet cars and the monthly contribution an individual has to make towards their car has residuals factored in. So what you find is that BMW 3 series costs the same or less in monthly contribution than a less expensive Mondeo/Vectra. It then becomes a no-brainer.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
1000 , alfa , days , recovery , romeo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page