The bond between man and machine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 30-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

The bond between man and machine

Before moving to Cornwall I used to commute between Preston and Lake Ullswater once a week, probably doing about 200 miles including the motorway journey. I could cope with doing this sort of milage as at the start of this year I was moving and now have to Truro, and with moving I wanted to get the milage down on the car (the previous owner managed to put on 17,000 miles between Feb and Oct) as its now crept up to 63,000 on an 53 plate.

The dilemma I am now facing is that where I live my options for work are limited because of my trade as it now looks like I am going to have to travel to and from work, and could be doing anything upto 300 miles a week. I've worked this out and without social commuting I could be doing around 14,000 miles just going to work a year.

I'm faced with a few options, first is try to change trades and accept a lower paid job with far less resposibility. Another is buy a 2nd cheap car that it doesn't matter about putting on the milage, or selling the 147 and getting a gtv. Only thing is I love the car and really don't want to part with it, even all the problems I've had with it, and the money I've put in to get it sorted to how the car should be (was a bit neglected before I bought), none of it detters me from getting in the car. To be honest I would rather get a loan and get a gtv aswell, but the girlfriend has frowned on that idea a tad because of parking here.

I'd like to know what peoples opinion is about this, or has anyone else faced this dilemma. The move to start a new life hasn't exactly gone to plan just yet, but what always does!

Keep you posted, Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Re: The bond between man and machine

Hmm, bit of a dilemma there mate.. The car is good for miles though, as long as you keep on top of the oil and service it including belts when necessary. If you really love the car, as it seems you do, you may as well decide to keep it for the next three years or so, make it part of your long-term plans.

All the best
AO Platinum Member

Re: The bond between man and machine

Aye! 300 miles a week will take its toll on the oil and cooling systems, so check those are in good nick every week.

The radiator must be good (see how shot to bits it gets on the motorway) and the hoses all secure. Any leaks, or weaknesses will come to haunt you.

Check oil level at least weekly and top it up regularly. You'll learn how quickly the car uses oil in that new commute mode, but until you know for sure you won't run low, carry an oil can in the boot.

The good side is that oil lasts longer in that kind of use.

You will get some extra wear and tear everywhere else (mostly paintwork) but if you check the oil, water and air every weekend, the beast wil take it. My old bus was on a 500 mile week once and no bother at all (apart from the radiator got shot to bits).

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
bond , machine , man

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page