Tyre Pressure Indicators. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 29-01-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Tyre Pressure Indicators.

Hi everyone,
Anyone have any thoughts on these little gadgets ? The things I mean are the screw on devices that replace the valve caps and indicate ‘ Green ‘ for correct pressure, ‘ Yellow ‘ for slightly under and ‘ Red ‘ for way under. Obviously you buy them in the appropriate pressure range for your car and enable you to have a good idea that your tyre pressures are OK with just a quick glance, very useful.
The only thing that worries me a bit is the fact that to work they obviously have to depress the valve so that the only thing keeping the air in is the cap itself, not too sure about this aspect of ‘em.
Anyone any thoughts ?
Nige.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Re: Tyre Pressure Indicators.

I read a review of them in Autoexpress IIRC. They said they were crap!
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

I had electronic ones on my Renault,every time the weather changed i had to get them re-set.Silly things IMO, just buy a little digital tyre pressure gauge there great
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

I check my pressures and adjust every week, this sounds like a more accurate way than using the gauges you talk of.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
The only thing that worries me a bit is the fact that to work they obviously have to depress the valve so that the only thing keeping the air in is the cap itself, not too sure about this aspect of ‘em.
That does concern me slightly - I've always regarded the valve as the primary seal, with the cap as a secondary seal to cover the, admittedly very small, possibility of the valve failing.

Tyres nowadays seldom lose pressure unless there's a fault; I suppose the indicator caps would give an early warning of any problems, but a weekly check should be adequate. I've got into the habit of doing a 'walk round' every day or so, checking thingslike tyres (remembering my motorcycle training!).

With my luck, if I did fit them, they'd be nicked within a week!
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
That does concern me slightly - I've always regarded the valve as the primary seal, with the cap as a secondary seal to cover the, admittedly very small, possibility of the valve failing.
the dust cap is only there to stop anything from contaminating the valve, they are not designed to take any pressure at all. these gauge caps must keep the valve open, which means they must also seal at the cap, which imo is a bad idea.
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
the dust cap is only there to stop anything from contaminating the valve, they are not designed to take any pressure at all. these gauge caps must keep the valve open, which means they must also seal at the cap, which imo is a bad idea.
Take a look inside a dust cap - there's a rubber seal which screws down onto the end of the valve stem!

I'm with you on the second point, though; just a little speck of dirt, or not screwed down tightly, & you haven't got an effective seal - but the caps would tell you about it...
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 01-02-08 Thread Starter
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Some intersesting replies here. I fitted these about 18 months ago and have found them useful. Illustrated recently when I had a slow puncture, went out one day and saw one tyre indicating ' Yellow '. topped up the pressure and then two days later I had the same again, obviously a problem that turned out to be a screw throgh the tyre. I think worthwhile as a quick daily check but obviouly not a substitute for a proper check using my trusty 40 year old gauge. ( Honest I do use this regulary, but, lets be honest, probably not as often as I should which I reckon is true for most people. )

There is a similar thread running about tyre pressure gauges and lots of people like the digital gauges but the cheapo I bought in Germany was so wildly inaccurate that it went into the bin, perhaps the saying that you only get what you pay for holds true for these.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
indicators , pressure , tyre

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page