What to do??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

Graham P

What to do???

As much as I love my 147 deep down I know it's not the car for me. I really only bought it because my wife has a coupe and we were struggling practicality wise with two coupes but my wife is likely to be getting a new hatchback on her work lease scheme soon.....so I've got a bit of a conundrum on what car to get

Do I borrow a bit extra and get a GT JTD? Never driven a diesel turbo before so wouldn't be sure what to expect but the reviews I've been reading on here and all over the net have rated the car very , very highly or do I spend what I get for the 147 and buy a GTV 3.0 V6 instead? It would save having to shell out monthly on a loan but I would have to probably spend that amount on extra fuel anyhow. I'd loved my GTV Twinnie loads but it was very problematic and not sure I could cope with that hassle again

Help. I am stuck!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Re: What to do???

The GT JTD. Get it mapped to 185bhp and then smile a lot.
Graham P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezste View Post
The GT JTD. Get it mapped to 185bhp and then smile a lot.

I was definitely considering the mapping option. Should be a no brainer really as I'd be getting a newer coupe with excellent fuel economy and an all round more sensible (for todays roads) driving experience if I opted for the GT but everytime I come on here I read about the amazing Alfa V6 engine that I have yet to experience I get all confused. I even dreamt about it last night. Boy did it feel good

Last edited by Graham P; 29-01-08 at 11:23.

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

Christ Graham, you change your car more often than women change their shoes. This would be your third car in nearly as many months

If you're struggling with two coupes then the V6 is not the way to go, as you're already probably aware with the twinnie. However, if the missus is getting a hatch then it won't be an issue.

Can you justify to yourself having the V6, do you drive a distance to work everyday? It is a glorious engine, but prone to so many niggles and faults you could start resenting it.

Go for the GT, which as a coupe seems to be reasonably practical, plus you've got the great (yet sensible) engine.

There'll always be V6s about, and you could always get one as a weekend car when you hit midlife

Graham P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmerUK View Post
Christ Graham, you change your car more often than women change their shoes. This would be your third car in nearly as many months

That's true. I'm always on the lookout to improve what I have car wise. I treat cars as a bit of a hobby. Drives the wife mad! My whole family are like it. My dad and brother never have the same car for longer than a few months....but I'm thinking if I'm gonna be spending 10k plus on a GT then this will be the one I finally keep hold off (until I can afford a Brera of course )

P.S My journey to work is about 3 miles but then I do about 15-20 miles or so each day in travelling between hospitals...this is why I'm apprehensive about a GTV V6

How's your cup been so far by the way?

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

It's at the menders which is annoying.

I've hardly driven her since buying her in mid-November. She sat in my garage until I got rid of the Merc the week before Christmas (I thought I may as well put the miles on the tank before it went). I then had a week of driving the Cup, then got an oil leak and she's been off the road since then until I managed to get a chance to take her in for fixing yesterday.

Hopefully will be picking her up somepoint this week and normal service will resume.
Graham P

I now see where you got the 'prone to so many niggles and faults' from. I must say I was a little relieved when I sold the GTV so to get one again would probably be a little crazy...why did they have to release one with a V6 engine to tease me so

Good luck when you get it back

AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

The GTV is IMO one of the best looking modern Alfa's on the road, so i can see why you are tempted.I have been lucky with my Twinny nearly three years with no problems (Touching large lump of wood), although i treat it as my hobby/project car as well as an every day car.The GT is a lovely looking car also and probably better made.Go for the GT as in a month or two you will probably sell it and then get the GTV V6
Graham P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie GTV View Post
Go for the GT as in a month or two you will probably sell it and then get the GTV V6
That's very likely

A good option would be to get the GTV first and then eventually the GT....but I can't imagine me wanted to get rid of a car with such a glorious engine

P.S Watch the splinters from the big lump of wood

AO Silver Member

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham P View Post
That's very likely

A good option would be to get the GTV first and then eventually the GT....but I can't imagine me wanted to get rid of a car with such a glorious engine

P.S Watch the splinters from the big lump of wood
Ouch!......Too Late
Graham P

Ah ****** it I'm going to get the V6. It's someting I've always wanted and whilst i'm in the situation where I'm lucky enough to be able to afford to run one I may as well

AO Silver Member

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham P View Post
Ah ****** it I'm going to get the V6. It's someting I've always wanted and whilst i'm in the situation where I'm lucky enough to be able to afford to run one I may as well
Yeh! do it
AO Silver Member

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

Graham P

I've been looking at that one Alfie. It's been up for sale for a couple of weeks now and was £4500 originally but he has just reduced it on PH to £3995. I'm guessing the colour has put most off and to be honest I was a bit unsure about it as first but the more I look the more it grows on me.

Problem being is I'll have to sell my 147 before I can buy. Rear suspension is being done on Monday so I can begin the selling process after that. I can afford to take my time to be honest....but I have no patience when it comes to cars

AO Member

Member car:

GT

looks nice mate, the wheels look good on that car. think the colour works on that car. let us know what you do and il keep an eye out whn im in nottingham.

Matt
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

get the gtv i drove a diesel back from the midlands today and it reminded me why i don't like them. god what a relief to get back in my car this afternoon. before anyone says anything it was a saab 93 with the same engine as the GT jtd

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page