Spoiled by alfa - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

EddieGTA

Spoiled by alfa

There are times you curse your alfa, when it has a niggly problem etc. Or in my case this weekend when I was thinking, why didn't I get a sportwagon as I needed to get a bookcase from ikea and no way would it fit in the saloon.

My problem was easily answered, a quick trip to my folks and I borrowed my parents Hyundai matrix, a pininfarina badged Korean quasi hatch/people carrier type vehicle, that can easily fit a flat pack bookcase from ikea. I dropped my car off, and did the right thing offering both my Dad and Mum the opportunity to use the GTA should they need to get out, both declined saying the little hyundai getz they also have would be more than enough should the need arise.

Now make no mistakes my Dads car is fantastic value for money, just over 10k for a fully loaded car with a 5 year warranty. But it made me realise just how damn good my car is, my GTA has the smaller 305mm brembos and needs new discs but quite frankly the brakes on the matrix were scary. They work and stop the car fine, but not in the confident way that the alfas do. And then there was the steering, it was like piloting a barge. It did have a much better turning circle (not hard) but every corner I took was a fight to turn the wheel an insane amount.

At the end of the day I was left wondering if there was another reason my Dad didn't want to drive the GTA But it was good to get her back

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Re: Spoiled by alfa

Yep. My wife has a Corsa, and I really do have to force myself to drive it where it's more sensible to do so. It's a horrible experience in comparison.
So horrible is it compared to the GTA, that it currently has two broken springs at the front, and I hadn't even noticed a difference. Who can tell between different levels of hell?
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

I am with you man

Let's say I don't fight with my wife over who gets to drive the family car (a Nissan Murano)
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

Whilst the Cup has been out of action I've been pottering about in the missus' 1.0 Micra. It's amazing how unstable and wobbly it feels compared to the Alfa. I'll give it one thing though... visibility is excellent .

The Cup went to the garage this morning, so hopefully I'll have her back in a couple of days. Can't wait.
AO Platinum Member

County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Yep. My wife has a Corsa, and I really do have to force myself to drive it where it's more sensible to do so.

My also has a Corsa, James. Unfortunately I don't have a GTA.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Have to agree with JimmerUk about the Micra. Had one as a loan car and I s'pose other than the perceived reliabilty cannot find anything good to say about it, does not even make a good shopping trolley 'cos without the power steering it's an absolute pig at low speeds.
As this was a loan car from an Alfa independent maybe there's some pyschcology ( wish I could spell ) going on, i.e. You're so glad to be back in the Alfa that you are happy to pay the huge repair bill......
EddieGTA

My driving instructor had a micra and I hated it. I failed two tests in that car, and then took my third in my 1986 fiat panda and passed.

AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

My misses had a Alto before the Seat and god what an awful thing that was to drive.

It felt as if it was going to blow away in anything more than a light breeze and I dare not go around a corner at more than 20mph.

But then for £5k what can expect - cheap car which was cheap to run.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , spoiled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page