Alfa 159 Vs GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 57 Old 27-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
Alfa 159 Vs GT

Hi,

I have recently found out my company want me to take a company car. Not sure which model to go for, the 159 or GT? Either way it will be a diesel, probably the 1.9JTDm in both cases.

I love the shape of the GT but the 159 is obviously more practical. I also had a short test drive of both today, albeit in an '05 GT, it was all the dealer had at the time, but the 159 was brand new.

Both were 1.9JTDm but the GT felt so much quicker and torquier. Looking at the Afa website the 159 aoppears to have the marginally quicker 0-60 time, is this really the case as it didn't feel like it today, the '05 GT with 46k on the clock felt much quicker. I appreciate the 159 will 'loosen up' but I wouldn't expect it to loosen that much.

Can anyone comment on what they would be more inclined to go for? I have a 20 mile commute but often drive 200 - 300 miles in a day for work.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Alfa 159 Vs GT

I was going to get a GT but went for the 159 in the end and I'm so glad I did its an absolute joy
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

The GT is running on yesterday's chassis ie the 156/147 floor pan, so it's behind the times in respect of chassis dynamics and in all honesty you really can tell. But the 159 is good deal bigger and heavier so the GT will easily out perform it, in both pace and economy.
At the end of the day it will come down to want you want and need out of the car, you will probably get more for your (companies) money with a GT as the discounts will be higher, but as the list prices are still quite high you will still pay though the nose on tax.
Neither are a bad choice
AO Member

Member car:

159 ti

Hi

Just recently bought a 159, so take it from where it comes. I also tried both. I think that they are very different cars. The GT is great for short spurts or weekend drives. MOre of a sporty feel. The 159 is a more comfortable family car for longer distances. Having said that, I use my 159 on weekends mainly. And, this weekend scooted around with no feeeling of being in a big family car. It was very respsonsive. All in all, I preferred 159, teh GT, for me, does not have the same "fit to finish" for me. Good luck with the decision - it is very tough
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

The GT would feel quicker because; a) it's run-in, and b) it's noisier.

Two totally different cars, but the 159's on the newer chassis and is much better built.
(Post Link) post #6 of 57 Old 27-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the info, I really am torn. My heart is saying GT but my head is saying 159.

Lotgrace, your profile says you are runing 180bhp. Have you remapped your engine?
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Can't comment on the way the GT drives as i have never had the pleasure of driving one but think it's a great looking car. As for the 159 i am on my second one and have nothing but praise. It's a great car and always look forward to driving it. Done about 350 miles today and would be quite happy to do 350 more
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

We've got both so I feel well qualified to answer your question

With the exception of the style, the staggeringly good 3.2V6 engine and the ultra sharp steering (not common to the JTD or JTS models), the 159 has the GT comprehensively beaten.

That's not saying the GT is a dog though. Far from it

Cheers,
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid27 View Post
Thanks for the info, I really am torn. My heart is saying GT but my head is saying 159.
I thought about the GT before I got my 159. In the end I just found the GT too long in the tooth, noisy and less practical. I have absolutely no regrets about getting the 159. I'd still love a GT as a second car though.
(Post Link) post #10 of 57 Old 27-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

I appreciate all the input. Really struggling to choose though, I've had a 147 for 2 years and have always wanted a GT but now the new breed have come along its no longer black and white! I have to admit I do like the console layout and looks etc. of the 159 but I just felt it was a little less nimble than the GT.

That's one of the things bothering me, having had a 147 I feel like I may get bored stepping into another car with exactly the same layout inside. I will however only have it for 2 years as that is the duration of the lease term my company go for and according to the dealer I spoke to he said I may have a bit of a wait for the 159 due to an overhaul of the production line where the 159 is built. He reckoned that there was new machinery going in to conicide with a modification in the 159/Spider/Brera suspension set up. Apparently it is being vastly overhauled in an attempt to lower the weight of the car and the first of this design won't roll of the line until early summer. He seemed to think this was in an effort to make these models more fuel efficient and obviously a bit quicker. Don't know if there is any truth in this however.

Whatever the case I'm definitely going to go for another test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid27 View Post

Lotgrace, your profile says you are runing 180bhp. Have you remapped your engine?
Yes I'm a dealer for PSI Motorsport, mines running at 180bhp and over 300ft lb of torque. It makes a very nice car a very very nice car indeed
(Post Link) post #12 of 57 Old 28-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotgrace Tradin View Post
Yes I'm a dealer for PSI Motorsport, mines running at 180bhp and over 300ft lb of torque. It makes a very nice car a very very nice car indeed
Any way of doing that wthout the dealer or my company knowing?!

I was torn between the 159 and the GT until I dove the the 159 it was a 2.4 JTDm at Perrys in Amersham....

It felt great and alive it looked gorgeous - but it was just lacking something...

Could not put my finger on it - my then partner said the same...

So went for the GT and never regretted it....

Chris
AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire

GT :Love: every time
AO Silver Member

the GT is getting a bit long in the tooth, any chance of your company letting you have a Brera or is it a bit too expensive?

You won't regret any choice. You are however making things pretty difficult for yourself by trying to compare a coupe against a saloon. I mean it's a bar of galaxy versus a chicken sandwich isn't it?
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Brera S

If you're under 50 get the GT
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRN View Post
If you're under 50 get the GT
I'm only 37
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Brera S

But you have the V6!
(Post Link) post #20 of 57 Old 28-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
the GT is getting a bit long in the tooth, any chance of your company letting you have a Brera or is it a bit too expensive?
The Brera is a bit more expensive so it would also affect the company car tax I pay. It is also a little less practical as I need a decent boot for kit that I use for work. That is what impressed with the GT, the access you have to the boot space over the 159 is quite surprising.
AO Platinum Member

The GT certainly practical. It'll seat 4 adults and take their luggage
AO Member

Member car:

159 1.9JTDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
I'm only 37
I'm only 33 and I have the 159 1.9JTDM and I absolutely love it. I do like the GT don't get me wrong, its a beautiful car - but I still can't stop looking at my 159 either...

As many have said its down to what you use it for. I need the space for two kids in the back, but if you don't have that problem then its down to your feel and with Alfas its a lot of thinking with your heart, as you indicate - I feel a GT coming on for you...
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRN View Post
But you have the V6!
The V6GT is my wifes. I get to play sometimes (if I'm a good boy).

My daily driver is the 159Ti. As I said earlier, with the exception of the engine & steering, it is a far superior car to the GT
AO Member

159...159...159...get the 159...
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
I'm only 37
Only!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
159 , alfa

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page