handbrake or in-gear? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 21-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.6TS

handbrake or in-gear?

I normally leave my car on the parking space for most of the week, which is pretty much on a leveled surface but with a slight fall for drainage. I've been wondering which is supposed to be better parking engagement?

1. Put handbrake on (and sometimes pads may stick or make a clunking noise after driving off)

2. Engage opposite gear (in my case would be reverse) and leave it without handbrake

3. Both

4. Neither (which isn't a sensible option really as the car will definitely roll!)

What are your opinions on the pros and cons of each?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

nivens

Re: handbrake or in-gear?

Both, then you can be absolutely sure your car won't roll off

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Both, gear depending on gradient as you describe.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

What SR said... Both. I always do..
AO Silver Member

County: Lake District
Garage

Definately both! Mine rolled down the drive last week when I forgot to leave it in gear - just waiting for the bodyshop to pick her up
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire

Both! May be something of an overkill on level(ish) ground, but get into the habit & you won't get caught out when you park on a slope.
AO Member

Definately use both hand brake and gear, but what do you mean by opposite gear?

If the nose of the car is pointing downhill, you should use first gear. If the of the car is pointing uphill you should use reverse. The consideration is which way is the car likely to roll. You want to make sure the engine will turn the right way. If the cars rolls forwards and the gearbox is in reverse it will turn the engine over the wrong way and increase the risk of valve train damage as the belt or chain will go the wrong way and the tensioner will go loose increase the likely hood of skipped teeth and piston interferance.

There are some people who say use the opposite gear to direction to be sure the engine won't start like it would in a push start, but that's not right as not even diesels will push start unless the ignition is on.

The other caveats are if the brakes are really hot, as at a trackday you might just use the gear, not the handbrake as clamping on will be bad for hot discs and pads and can promote warping. Or if the car is in long storage, esp in a humid environment, calipers can sieze, so better to chock the wheels.

Hope it helps.

Six/twelve devils screaming

Alfa History: '78 GTV 2.0, '83 GTV6 2.5, '98 156 Selespeed 2.0, '96 GTV 2.0, '96 GTV 2.0, '05 GT 3.2 V6, '96 146 2.0ti, '99 156 2.4JTD, '01 147 1.6 Lusso.
Current Others: TVR T350 Spider, AM V12 Vantage
AO Member

County: Scottish Borders

Gear in winter or if left standing for a while. Even though the car was only parked for 4 hours in Gala just before christmas when i came back to it the handbrake had frozen on!!! Took me 5 minutes to free it!!

Mine gets left in gear on the drive which is a slight downward slope, but as it is gravel it has some nice wheel dents in it - you can park the car handbrake off and not in gear and it won't move.

As it will be left for most of the week it is currently sitting in 3rd on the drive (nothing does my head more than slack centering springs!!!!)

We have no plan, therefore nothing can go wrong (much)

And i Have finally put piccies of the silver one on!!
(Post Link) post #9 of 26 Old 21-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.6TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
If the nose of the car is pointing downhill, you should use first gear. If the of the car is pointing uphill you should use reverse. The consideration is which way is the car likely to roll. You want to make sure the engine will turn the right way. If the cars rolls forwards and the gearbox is in reverse it will turn the engine over the wrong way and increase the risk of valve train damage as the belt or chain will go the wrong way and the tensioner will go loose increase the likely hood of skipped teeth and piston interferance.
oops...i think this is exactly where i've got it wrong... didn't realise...! thanks for that...
kevjtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by James76 View Post
Gear in winter or if left standing for a while. Even though the car was only parked for 4 hours in Gala just before christmas when i came back to it the handbrake had frozen on!!! Took me 5 minutes to free it!!

Mine gets left in gear on the drive which is a slight downward slope, but as it is gravel it has some nice wheel dents in it - you can park the car handbrake off and not in gear and it won't move.

As it will be left for most of the week it is currently sitting in 3rd on the drive (nothing does my head more than slack centering springs!!!!)
the clue here to your handbrake sticking on when parked in the cold is 100% due to it not being used enough if your cables are in good condition, pads free-moving and greased, calipers free-moving and seals ok then the handbrake will not stick on. the fact that it is left for probably weeks on end without moving and then when it's finally called into action it stands little chance of functioning properly, it just siezes the only time when you shouldn't apply it is when the brakes are unusually hot as has been already mentioned, not just for track days but say after a long downhill drive. then just leave it in gear and allow the brakes to cool down, or better still drive fro a mile or so at normal speeds without using the brakes, the air-flow over the pads and discs will soon cool them down

alfafamily

A few 145/146 owners might disagree with you on this Kev. The theory is correct but apparently its a common problem with some Alfa and Fiat models(I thought it was just mine!). Sad though it may seem I carry a brick now to chock the wheels in very cold weather, I've been stuck once too often

AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

Modus 1.4

Both
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

Both. Never trusted a handbrake since I saw my old VW Scirrocco roll off down the road when the handbrake slipped off. Luckily it was not too steep a hill and I managed to stop it with the help of a passer by!!!
kevjtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
A few 145/146 owners might disagree with you on this Kev. The theory is correct but apparently its a common problem with some Alfa and Fiat models(I thought it was just mine!). Sad though it may seem I carry a brick now to chock the wheels in very cold weather, I've been stuck once too often
again it comes down to making the job worse by not using it. i have had many cars with basically the same set up as the 145/6 namely 2 lancia dedra's , a lancia delta,fiat marea, plus 2 156's. i had to do work to all of the cars to get a satisfactory handbrake, once all parts are in full working order i have never ever had a problem, rain,ice,snow,heat, never a problem, lack of use is 100% the enemy of anything that is required to move.

AO Silver Member

Having the fiat roll into garage door,I now leave it in gear ,hand brake on, wheels pointing towards the garden,
We have an incline of nearly 30 degrees ,
Hate the frosty days ice
Gt, is snug.
John.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

A car

something always seizes up somewhere on a 155

but if you park it on a slope...it will rarely roll away easily
after about 2 days...the back brakes will sieze a bit...

...but after 3 years it will stick like a cork in bottle

...and if you put the battery warmers on for about 24 hours

...it'll purr like a cat

those Alfa boys made the best engines
AlfaLincs

Now in Lincolnshire the land is flat
So we don't bother with all that tat
So if your car do roll away
You'l likely hear the locals say
"He must be some kind of prat
who came this far yet,for all that
could not find a piece quite flat"

Both of course except in freezing conditions or in long term storage..use chocks instead of handbrake with car in gear.

AlfaLincs

AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLincs View Post
Now in Lincolnshire the land is flat
You need to get out more! Take that long straight road north out of Boston & you'll soon arrive at some very hilly bits!
AlfaLincs

That be beyond the horizon, and folk are strange there with three heads and webbed feet..so they say.

If you call those wobbly bits in the north of the county hills..there's no hope is there

AlfaLincs

AO Member

Member car:

BMW 520d

Both. But make sure that your wife shares the habit of leaving her car in gear, then she won't forget to put the clutch in and drive yours into the garage door when she starts up.
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Both.... and always start the engine with the clutch depressed... less stress on the starter motor.
AO Silver Member

County: Nicosia

both
AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

Nada at the mo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaGJ View Post
Both.... and always start the engine with the clutch depressed... less stress on the starter motor.
And saves wear on the clutch plate as well

And a car should always be left in gear (1st or R depending on situation) and the handbrake on everytime its parked up.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

As i park in the same place on the drive i can get away with using neither, the front wheels have sunk the tarmac silghtly so it always sits in that spot.I do use the handbrake but never pull it on hard.When parking elsewhere i only use the brake unless parked on a slope then both.My car is used daily and i keep everything lubbed up so never had a problem.If i was to leave it for a week or so i would keep in gear and apply H/brake but not hard
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

After years of driving SAABs where you had to put it in reverse to remove the ignition key I always do both.
Hadn't thought about the timing belt though (SAABs were chain drive).

Paul.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
handbrake , ingear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page