Is this alfa 156 worth it? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 17-01-08 Thread Starter

Is this alfa 156 worth it?

Hi all,

I've seen an Alfa 156 2.0 TS advertised, its got the following:

2000, V Reg. 'Rossi ' Red.
9 months mot, 5 months tax
119K (no service history, no record/knowledge of when the cambelt was last changed)

The owner says hes been running the car for the last 6 months and he doesn't know when it was last serviced/belt changed etc. He was originally asking for £1800... I said I'd probably offer £1200 (not really knowing about these cars)...The seller has said he'd accept £1200. What I'm basically wondering is how much would a good service/cambelt change cost? And knowing this what is this car really worth (in your opinions)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Re: Is this alfa 156 worth it?

It could be a complete dog. I would get someone else out to inspect it. That cambelt will need to be done asap. Therefore its going to cost £300 straight away.

OA
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 17-01-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
It could be a complete dog. I would get someone else out to inspect it. That cambelt will need to be done asap. Therefore its going to cost £300 straight away.

OA
Hi, is that £300 inc fitting I take it? guy says its is the thing that only needs done and the reason he didn't get it done is as he's not 'keeping it'. To be honest I'm a bit sceptical, only because if I pay 400/500 to get the belt done and a good service I'd be upto 1500/1600, and I've seen lower mileage 156's for that
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinktheship View Post
Hi, is that £300 inc fitting I take it? guy says its is the thing that only needs done and the reason he didn't get it done is as he's not 'keeping it'. To be honest I'm a bit sceptical, only because if I pay 400/500 to get the belt done and a good service I'd be upto 1500/1600, and I've seen lower mileage 156's for that
If youve seen cheaper ones, it may be worth investing in them. The spark plugs need to be changed every 60k miles, so these will need doing soon. In addition to the 1200 for the car, I would budget another grand for.... belt change(300-400) + variator(100) + plugs( I think about (100) + service + any other bits which need doing ie at that high mileage possibly some suspension parts.

Good luck!
EddieGTA

Personally I would want to see some record of service history and MOT's. 156 was alfas biggest seller so there are plenty out there rather than going for one you are not sure of.

(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 17-01-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar 145 View Post
If youve seen cheaper ones, it may be worth investing in them. The spark plugs need to be changed every 60k miles, so these will need doing soon. In addition to the 1200 for the car, I would budget another grand for.... belt change(300-400) + variator(100) + plugs( I think about (100) + service + any other bits which need doing ie at that high mileage possibly some suspension parts.

Good luck!
Hi, thanks for the break-down. The spark plugs need changed every 60k miles...what about the cambelt, is that every 40K? (supposed to be>?)
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

yes, every 3 years or 36k miles. TBH though, no service history and that high mileage.... the words bargepole come to mind!!! I would only buy it I had enough to budget for possible major repairs, as Eddie says 156's are very popular there are plenty more out there. If I was buying an older, rarer Alfa I'd be more prepared to take risks.
AO Member

I think you could do better for the money. You could get a car with lower milage and service history if you take your time and shop around. Haste makes waste!
AO Gold Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Well I paid £1300 for mine over 6 months ago (2000 X, Lusso), with some service history including proof of a cam belt change, full service and brake overhaul about 10k prior. It is fairly high mileage though at 136k miles.

Baring that in mind, I would say you could definitely find a better deal elsewhere.
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinktheship View Post
119K (no service history, no record/knowledge of when the cambelt was last changed)
This instantly screams "WALK AWAY!!!!!!!!!"
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Yeah I'd give that one a miss. That cars done a lot of miles not to have any service history..
AO Member

County: Devon

Member car:

'97 spider 2.0TS

I bought my silver V-Reg (2000) 2.0TS 156 just before Christmas.
It has the red leather interior, done 64000 miles with FSH, all old mots, original Alfa Owners manuals etc. Cambelt change at 52000.
I paid £1700 but had to travel to midlands to get it. (Prices down here in Devon/Cornwall are ridiculously expensive in comparison).
So, in short, provided you are prepared to put in the leg-work and are a little patient, I reckon you should be able to do a lot better for your money.

Andy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
156 , alfa , worth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page