Where to next.... what's my next alfa going to be..? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 17-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Where to next.... what's my next alfa going to be..?

Ok, Now I'm going to change my car around May time... and I want to know what I should go for.

At the moment I have my heart set on a Jtd GT.

What do we all think. Other options are, another 156 only the V6 this time, or a GTV (which I'm not too keen on)

Limit of about £10/12K....

Unless I get a new GT from Ned... But that depends on how the job goes this year.

Next year will be the year of the GTA though. Without a doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Where to next.... what's my next alfa going to be..?

I'd go for a new Gt. the monthly outlay wouldn't be all that different if you spread it over a longer period and you would get all the benifits of owning new.

Just imagine the anticipation of waiting on your very own, built for you GT; fresh new car smell, unmarked leather, alloys all a gleaming..

The Gt was my first new car in over ten years of used and I loved the experience.
AO Member

County: Northumberland

Go for it. I know it sounds corny, but the GT is the first car I've owned for years that I can honestly say I can't wait to drive. I've had mine for just over a month now and there's no sign of the feeling wearing off!
(Post Link) post #4 of 24 Old 17-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Hmmmm.. I think I need to go with the GT then
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Get a spider - nearly new

(Post Link) post #6 of 24 Old 17-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

love to.. but couldnt afford one!!
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

you would be shocked

GT - out of warranty - and Red Dot - 190 - 200 HP

or Just ask to have my map downloaded.....

Chris
(Post Link) post #9 of 24 Old 17-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

oh don't worry.. A remap is definitely happening.
EddieGTA

GT is a very nice car, as per my poll if my circumstances change and I wanted one car that would still be a good car to drive but be better on fuel it would be a GT JTD.

Given the number of cars I have owned bit dumb coming from me, but if you want a GTA next year why change now? Keep the 156 and wait until the GTA is within reach.

AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

I am in the same situ. Really want a new car. Im after a 2.4JTDM 159 but at the minute if I am sensible its out of my price range as I havent got that big of a deposit. Maybe late summer if my 156 treats me well and I dont have to pay out of my deposit savings to get her fixed.
What does anyone think of Personal Contract Hire? My general feeling is that buying a car of any real value esp new is a money loser. Why not lose money and get a car you otherwise couldn't afford? I understand you wont own the car ever but if I went out and bought a new 159 by the time Id paid it off it would be worth less than half of the price and the maintenence costs to foot.
Whats anyone elses feeling bought this?
Maybe someone has had the same naivety as me and has been stung? Or otherwise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSound View Post
I am in the same situ. Really want a new car. Im after a 2.4JTDM 159 but at the minute if I am sensible its out of my price range as I havent got that big of a deposit. Maybe late summer if my 156 treats me well and I dont have to pay out of my deposit savings to get her fixed.
What does anyone think of Personal Contract Hire? My general feeling is that buying a car of any real value esp new is a money loser. Why not lose money and get a car you otherwise couldn't afford? I understand you wont own the car ever but if I went out and bought a new 159 by the time Id paid it off it would be worth less than half of the price and the maintenence costs to foot.
Whats anyone elses feeling bought this?
Maybe someone has had the same naivety as me and has been stung? Or otherwise?
It's all about not tying your capital up in a depreciating asset. if you think about why would anyone actually want to buy something like a car outright? PCH gives you the chance to "rent the use of a car" but to all intents and purposes it's "yours" anyway.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
It's all about not tying your capital up in a depreciating asset. if you think about why would anyone actually want to buy something like a car outright? PCH gives you the chance to "rent the use of a car" but to all intents and purposes it's "yours" anyway.
IMO renting a car is like renting your house. Expensive and pointless, with nothing to show at the end of the deal

(Post Link) post #14 of 24 Old 17-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
IMO renting a car is like renting your house. Expensive and pointless, with nothing to show at the end of the deal
Have to agree... Nothing to show for all that money spent.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Get the Jtd GT Joe... but not in Red

A GTA at the tender age of 23 eh

**** me I wish I was your insurance company

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
Have to agree... Nothing to show for all that money spent.
You're missing the point, a car is a depreciating asset and can be better described as a consumable - unless that is you are buying a classic for the long term.

Most people change their cars on a regular basis - say 3 or 5 years, so in actual fact you never get the benefit of full ownership because you trade it for another. All you are doing is tying up money which is continually shrinking through depreciation. Why do you think fleets lease? Heck, even airlines operate on this basis.

Your analogy with a house is completely bogus, because in most circumstances the house will be appreciating in value so it makes sense to buld up equity in it by buying.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Most people change their cars on a regular basis - say 3 or 5 years, so in actual fact you never get the benefit of full ownership because you trade it for another. All you are doing is tying up money which is continually shrinking through depreciation.

Most people buy a used car with cash (including bank loans etc) and keep it until they want a change, and then buy another one with cash, perhaps part exchanging their existing car, and therefor do get the benefit of full ownership.

Buying new or leasing do both give you the pleasure of having a new car, and it they do enable your neighbours to peek through the curtains and make snidey comments, but it doesn't make any sense outside of the warm feeling you get from the purchase or signing the lease deal.

Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Most people buy a used car with cash (including bank loans etc) and keep it until they want a change, and then buy another one with cash, perhaps part exchanging their existing car, and therefor do get the benefit of full ownership.

Buying new or leasing do both give you the pleasure of having a new car, and it they do enable your neighbours to peek through the curtains and make snidey comments, but it doesn't make any sense outside of the warm feeling you get from the purchase or signing the lease deal.
What’s wrong with getting a “warm feeling” when you buy a new car? If you can afford it and it’s what you want, why not?

Ned
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
What’s wrong with getting a “warm feeling” when you buy a new car? If you can afford it and it’s what you want, why not?

Ned
I never said anything was wrong with it. I've done it myself, and loved it, but lets not pretend that it, or leasing, makes more sense than buying used, when looking for a personal daily driver.

AO Member

Gt
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Gt
You missed the 'A' there Stiggy

Quote:

With respect HST, you contradict yourself. You say most people buy used with cash and a bankloan - people who buy new also mostly do so with cash and a bankloan. You therefore do not own the car outright until the car is fully paid for. You then change using the money tied up in equity to act as a deposit. But that cash is forever depreciating. So in theory, you are in fact partially renting anyway!!

The argument with lease is you do not tie money up and simply pay as you go.

I hear your argument when buying very cheaply though, using cash to buy outright (no loan) - no interest charges and deprecition becomes a minor factor. My lad bought has last A6 outright for £3k and received £3k for it 18 months later - IDEAL - but a very rare occurence. Most folk buy to the limit of affordability, whether new or used and PCP, Lease, Hp simply gives the consumer a range of choices as to how to obtain their dream machine - you pays your money, you takes your choice. But for business users the bean counters will always recommend lease because it's the smart financial decision. Domestic buyers are motivated quite differently, chiefly because they perceive the car "belongs" to them. truth is it only ever partly belongs to them. Still not convinced?............

Try defaulting on the repayments and see who the car belongs to then!
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
or a GTV (which I'm not too keen on)
Well bang goes my suggestion!
(Post Link) post #24 of 24 Old 18-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Well bang goes my suggestion!
Sorry.... Well to be honest I'm a bit lost at the moment. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be reviewing in a couple of months when I've some cashed saved up.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page