159 v 159 Ti - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 46 Old 17-01-08 Thread Starter

159 v 159 Ti

Hi everyone - I am brand new to the Alfa Romeo world. Can anyone comment on whether there is a major difference between the 159 and the 159 Ti in terms of harshness of ride and road noise from the big wheels of the latter. I love the look and specs of the Ti, but am a little wary of purchasing a car that may be a little hard riding for day to day motoring. I know everything is a compromise, and my strong inclination is to go for the Ti, but would appreciate any comments from those who have experienced the Ti.

Cheers

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Berkshire
Re: 159 v 159 Ti

I took one for a test drive on Monday (2.4 JTDm). Having driven a 159 3.2 JTS in the past I didn't feel that the ride was hugely different. I fell in love with the Ti almost straight away, and took it for something like a 150 mile test drive on a large mixture of roads from country lanes to motorways. I found it less harsh than my 156 which has 17" wheels.
AO Silver Member

The ride is definitely much nicer on the 159 generation cars than the previous generation cars regardless of tyre size. One thing I have noticed is that my 18" rims make more noise than my 17" rims on the GTV (this is partly due to very little tyre wear on the new 18"s). I can only guess that the 17"s would be considerably quieter than the 19"s - and probably more comfortable but less grippy?
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

I haven't driven a Ti but have driven 159s Lussos with both 17 and 18" wheels. There is no doubt that the 17's offer a better and slightly less noisy ride than the 18's but the pay off in terms of handling is more than worth it for the 18" rims.

Not so sure about the 19's though, but bear in mind that the tyres are a lot more expensive. I recently replaced two P-zero Nero's for the cost of one 19" zero-nero.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
I haven't driven a Ti but have driven 159s Lussos with both 17 and 18" wheels. There is no doubt that the 17's offer a better and slightly less noisy ride than the 18's but the pay off in terms of handling is more than worth it for the 18" rims.

Not so sure about the 19's though, but bear in mind that the tyres are a lot more expensive. I recently replaced two P-zero Nero's for the cost of one 19" zero-nero.
Yes, definitely. The salesman reckoned they did the 19" tyres for £180, but I'm sure they come to more than that. As for handling, the Ti felt very assured through the twisty bits
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

hi Paul J, are you going to swap to 2.4 Ti then ?
Was it as good as the 3.2 Q$ ?
AO Member

I will be swapping to the 2.4 Ti, I would say it was almost as good as the 3.2 Q4 because the low down torque of the 2.5 Ti makes it feel a lot quicker than its 0-60 suggests, and the economy is far better. I averaged (according to the trip computer) about 33mpg on my test drive with the 2.4 Ti, which had less than 1000 miles on it. This was over a lot of A and B roads, and only about 25 miles of motorway.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Thanks for the info Paul
Did you get a good price on 3.2 ?
I've had some really low offers on mine
AO Member

I'm also deciding between the Lusso (with Bluetooth) and the Ti and am 99% convinced that the Ti is the one for me. It's a little bit "bling" with the chrome mirrors but they do blend in somewhat with the Stromboli Grey.

However the dealers seem unable to quote for a new build in April/May delivery with the factory shut down and impending price change it's all up in the air
AO Gold Member

Rank - what Ti are you looking for - there are some in stock, I am travelling to Yorkshire (from Glasgow!) to get my Stromboli 2.4Ti on the 31st.

If you want bluetooth - the Ti is only then an extra £450 list.....theough the discount wont be as generous.
AO Member

Strombili 2.4 diesel Ti but not due to change cars until first week in April. Was looking to Contract Hire it.
AO Member

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Ive had an offer of mine plus £7.4k for 2.4 ti or mine plus £3k for a 2.4 lusso with B&M.
is the ti worth another £4.4k over the lusso ?
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankrotten View Post
Strombili 2.4 diesel Ti but not due to change cars until first week in April. Was looking to Contract Hire it.

Nae luck them

Ive hired mine on Alfa Incluso.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny english View Post
Ive had an offer of mine plus £7.4k for 2.4 ti or mine plus £3k for a 2.4 lusso with B&M.
is the ti worth another £4.4k over the lusso ?
When it only costs £450.00 more! (B&M is £300)
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj romeo View Post
Nae luck them

Ive hired mine on Alfa Incluso.
Lucky beggar

They're trying to push me towards BMW or another Audi but I'm resisting.

I had a test drive in a lusso and Ti before choosing the Ti.

Ride quality overall on the Ti is excellent, yes of course it is firm at low speed around town but it smooths out as speed rises. On the motorway it is fantastic - smooth and well damped.

Road noise well controlled on all but the roughest surface but never a problem.

Overall either model rides and handles well, in the end it was the look of the Ti which won me over.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny english View Post
Thanks for the info Paul
Did you get a good price on 3.2 ?
I've had some really low offers on mine
Sorry, you misunderstood. I didn't own the 3.2 Q4, just borrowed it for the day. I do know that it was up for about £22K despite only being 6 months old.

Member car:

159 V6 Q4

3.2 Q4 value drops like a stone sadly, a reflection on the Alfa name amd the high MPG on this model. Great car I must admit but thirsty.

Oliver
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
3.2 Q4 value drops like a stone sadly, a reflection on the Alfa name amd the high MPG on this model. Great car I must admit but thirsty.

Oliver
Try here:

Depreciation Index - What Car?

The 3.2 really suffers, but the 2.4 Lusso profile is very similar to BMW 325d and Audi 2.7d.
AlfaLincs

I don't think its got anything to do with the Alfa name as such. If you look at production figures for any of petrol V6s of any make over the years it reflects the comparatively small market for this type of thirsty car with potentially crippling running/maintainance costs for the second and subsequent owners.

Alfa have taken longer than some to get in on the diesel act properly, as its only a comparatively recent thing for diesels to be accepted as 'sporty' but Alfa do diesels well and that is where the future seems to be for now, so thats where the values will hold best., rightly or wrongly.

I find our diesel 2.4JTD great to drive, and I do wonder at those who claim 'not lo like them'..Whats not to like I ask myself?...not a lot!..I answer to myself (note to discuss this with psychiatrist at next visit)

AlfaLincs

AlfaLincs

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLincs View Post
I do wonder at those who claim 'not lo like them'..Whats not to like I ask myself?...not a lot!..I answer to myself (note to discuss this with psychiatrist at next visit)

AlfaLincs

AlfaLincs

Quote:
It's a little bit "bling" with the chrome mirrors but they do blend in somewhat with the Stromboli Grey.
'
- Can't you get one without them? Over here it is an option, and very few seem to go for them... I think they look a bit daft. Keep that for the Audi owners.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by richnz View Post
Hi everyone - I am brand new to the Alfa Romeo world. Can anyone comment on whether there is a major difference between the 159 and the 159 Ti in terms of harshness of ride and road noise from the big wheels of the latter. I love the look and specs of the Ti, but am a little wary of purchasing a car that may be a little hard riding for day to day motoring. I know everything is a compromise, and my strong inclination is to go for the Ti, but would appreciate any comments from those who have experienced the Ti.

Cheers

Rich
Well Rich i'm lucky enough to have owned a 159 ant a 159Ti and in answer to your question. I have found the ride of the Ti harder and there is a bit more tyre noise than the 159 but it's not somthing you can't live with it is fine for day to day use.They are both great cars whichever you opt for Good luck with your purchase

Quote:
It's a little bit "bling" with the chrome mirrors but they do blend in somewhat with the Stromboli Grey.
My Rosso Ti, delivered December 2007, have rosso mirrors. I was told it would only be delivered with chrome mirrors, but when I got the car I was quite happy to see they where rosso too. Looks nice!
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

The Ti rides really well. Not really firm at all, even on the 19"'s with the lowered suspension. The seats are also the best I've ever sat in. I'm ride & seat sensitive too as I have a pretty serious spinal condition.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page