best diy stone chip repairs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 16-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

gtv 3.0 v6

best diy stone chip repairs

hi i have seen a couple of diy stone chip repair packs on ebay.....one from mer and another which both come with dvds and various items. has anyone had a go at repairing thier own stone chips and if so what did they use and how do they rate the job in terms of difficulty and results achieved?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: best diy stone chip repairs

Time consuming, and quite a fiddly operation, but the results are good, if you have the patience as well. The weather is another factor, best done when it's warmer, unless you have the car under cover, in a centrally heated garage. I enjoy tinkering around with those chips, but only in the summer months.:
AO Member

Member car:

146ti

The best thing for stone chips is getting the genuine touch-up pens from alfa,
Then, when your car is clean use the paint stick to touch in the chips, leave to dry then go over them again, then use the clear pen to build it up untill the chips are filled and raised above the paints surface.
When the paint is hard use some 2000 grit wet & dry soaked in soapy solution to level them down, follow this with autoglym paint restorer to remove the sanding marks.
Follow this with autoglym super resin polish and a wax and they should be near enough invisible!

Sorry if that sounds complicated but its quite easy once you get into it fella

Hope that helps.
Darran.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

I use the American type chip repair scheme, which gives you full details of filling the crater, priming and then top coating, levelling, and finally burnishing. You need loads of patience, and you need to take time out, to make up varying sized abrasive discs, adhered to an eraser, the smallest about 1.5 mm in diameter, to keep the keying, to a small restricted area.

Find it best as the guys over the pond say, to fill the craters using a cocktail stick, although I have made even finer paint droppers. Great results on Alfa Red, but practised on the old white car first. Try it.:
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 17-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

gtv 3.0 v6

ok cheers, i love tinkering abd i have loads of patience so when its warmer im gonna go for it. interesting thought on using small diameter abrasive pads ie keeping the working area just slightly bigger than the chip, i will look into where i can get these from, maybe dremel type attachments are available. the kits i ahve seen seem to use rather large pads....so nice tip.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
chip , diy , repairs , stone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page