Re: Alfa 146 2.0 ti fuel economy
That is a very nice looking machine - unmolested and in nice condition, judging by the pictures.
Good clean well looked after examples are getting hard to come by now and I don't think £1999 is that savage an asking price. If you're seriously interesed, the lure of hard cash usually gets the calculator out of Arthur Daley's pocket.
As for economy, look towards the low 20's at best and yes, the 2.0 TS engine is the same as the 156's which latterly changed to the 165bhp JTS in the last run before the 159.
You know you want it but things to look out for;
1. Clattering variator at start up, not dire but sounds horrible
2. Cambelt change is a must every 3 yrs or 36k - if it hasn't been done, budget for £300 upwards.
3. There shold be 2x remote keys and 1 burgundy master key. The master is a must. If it's not there - negotiate.
4. Rear wash-wipe motors are very prone to failure and are about £80 to replace new. Hard to source from a breaker.
5. Tickover is notorious for being erratic and can be very time consuming and pricey to fix.
6. Of course FSH is preferable and check for a plug change at 60k - a set of 8 plugs is around £65.
7. Check the relays and wiring under the little black cover in front of the battery - if they look frayed and mildewed it will all need replacing - about £80 or DIY if you're confident.
I think that's the main points....
Oh, check very carefully in the passenger footwell for leaks, drainage holes and sunroof always leak.......
Hope this hasnt put you off and by the way; they're absolute flyers!