Wife wants a 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 14-01-08 Thread Starter

Wife wants a 147

Hi folks (I'm quite new around here, well not new but I haven't posted in ages!)

My missus is liking the idea of an Alfa 147. I like the idea of her getting one too because I really like Alfas. I would really like a 159ti myself

Anyway, my first thought was a diesel 147 but of course the petrol cars are much cheaper.

Is it true to say the diesels are more expensive because the cambelts can go for longer and the engines are more reliable all round? I've heard the story about the Alfa petrol engines, using oil and if not topped up they can fail. Does this affect the whole range of petrol engines? Also I know the cambelt needs doing every 36k on the petrols.

Is there much else to worry about on a 147 such as suspension/brakes etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

cul

Re: Wife wants a 147

Doesnt effect the V6 petrols Not so much anyway...

I think the diesel would be cheaper to service and run (less belt changes) so may counteract the price difference in the long run.

The suspension bits and peices need to be looked at fairly frequenty though, as the bushes tend to give up.
Dont think there are any problems with the brakes...
(Post Link) post #3 of 21 Old 14-01-08 Thread Starter

Thanks dude. I would not allow her to get a GTA as it would be quicker than my car

She drives a 1.25 Fiesta at the moment so the 1.6ts would be fine. Apart from power is there any reason to go for the bigger engines, are they more reliable in any way?
AO Member

I've got a 2.0 T Spark (02 reg), personally I wouldn't get a Selespeed as some (not all) do have lots of niggles on the semi automatic gearbox. Also the 1.6 is a bit underpowered for my liking but compared to a 1.2 Fiesta it will probably go like stink! I admit my 2.0 is a bit thirsty as a run around - unfortunately that's all it does during the week as the work run is stop start all the way. The diesels are supposed to be highly rated. We've got a 2.0 TDi engined Seat aswell as the 147 & that returns mid 30's mpg at worst but usually averages around 50mpg. I'd have thought the JDT would do about the same - never really looked into the diesel versions of the 147 but I think they do an 8 valve & a 16 valve of which the 8 valve performs similar to the 1.6 petrol. 147's do take a lot of TLC, as do all Alfas. Cambelts on all petrol & diesel engines are now on a 36K change I think. 147s are also prone to suspension squeaks - my upper wishbones need doing now. Personally I love the 147 & so does the missus & we usually argue over who takes it in the morning. In 2 years it has cost me a 2 sets of tyres, 1 rear catalytic convertor,1 60K service, 1 cambelt change & 72K service, 1 set brake pads all round, 1 battery, 1 new key, quite a lot of oil (must be checked weekly), 2 MOT's & now need the wishbones doing. We bought it on 51K now it's on 75K. Most of these costs you'd get on any other car of a similar age / mileage.

If you go for one treat it right & it should give you miles of pleasure. I'm now hooked to the point where i want a GT but want to keep the 147 aswell.
alfa_147_jtd_16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb5691 View Post
Also the 1.6 is a bit underpowered for my liking but compared to a 1.2 Fiesta it will probably go like stink!
No way! The 1.6 TS feels sooo slow in comparision to the 1.25 Zetec-SE. I had a 1.25 and drove a 1.6 TS at the same time (well not literally of course) and the Fiesta won hands down every time. In fact the Fiesta was such a good car, it really was. Only two downers:

- It was loud and thirsty (particularly on the motorway)
- It was a humble Fiesta!

Seriously though, DON'T get a 1.6 seeing as you had a 1.25 as it will feel inadequate, especially given the lardy weight of the 147 aswell. Go for a 2.0 or either 1.9 JTD's and you can't go wrong!

jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

the book figures for 0-60 on the fiesta are 13.6 or 14 secs. on the 147 0-60 is 10.3 secs, so clearly the alfa is significantly quicker.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

How we differ? My wife is totally relaxed driving the 147 Selespeed, City mode for town work, and she likes the choice of driving it gives her. Puts her foot down sometimes, the two litre goes well enough,("Slow down Dear": ) and it uses no oil, so she's happy, I'm happy?:
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa_147_jtd_16v View Post
No way! The 1.6 TS feels sooo slow in comparision to the 1.25 Zetec-SE. I had a 1.25 and drove a 1.6 TS at the same time (well not literally of course) and the Fiesta won hands down every time. In fact the Fiesta was such a good car, it really was. Only two downers:

- It was loud and thirsty (particularly on the motorway)
- It was a humble Fiesta!

Seriously though, DON'T get a 1.6 seeing as you had a 1.25 as it will feel inadequate, especially given the lardy weight of the 147 aswell. Go for a 2.0 or either 1.9 JTD's and you can't go wrong!
My wife went from a 1.2 Punto to a 1.6 5dr 147 and the latter is appreciably quicker although the Punto always felt nippy. It's not just about performance though. The 147 also offers a superior interior, and ride quality compared to a supermini.

Personally I'd recommend the 1.6 petrol to the original poster if this is the family's second car. There is enough power if you need it for motorway runs (we take ours from Manchester to London), and the fuel economy is OK for around town. Diesels are good if you do enough mileage to claw back the premium you pay, and the 2.0 petrol might be overkill if your mileage is mainly around town. If you pick up a petrol 147 with a recent belt change, then this gives you three years respite on a major expense. FYI, there's a recent AutoExpress buyer's guide (see link below) that is quite fair in its verdict. If you look carefully and buy a well-maintained 147, it should be no different than most cars.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...romeo_147.html
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

My missis has the 1.9 8 valve and loves it. Main reasons for going for that one over another Twin Spark were hopes of greater (engine) durability, cheaper servicing and running and the other thing which wasn't obvious until afterwards is that she finds it much easier to drive than her old 145 Cloverleaf mainly due to the low down torque and much smoother on/off throttle response which is important as much of her driving is urban. She also appreciates only going to the fuel station half as often and the cheaper road tax is nice too!

Well, I'd choose the diesel (especially the 1.9 JTDM 16 v) any day.

The 1.6 will drop it's value like a stone and you really have to wind it up to get the best out of it and you are not likely to be doing that around town.

I did the same comparison before settling on a diesel Ti and I'm sooooo glad I made the right decision. heck, it's faster than my GT!
alfa_147_jtd_16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
the book figures for 0-60 on the fiesta are 13.6 or 14 secs. on the 147 0-60 is 10.3 secs, so clearly the alfa is significantly quicker.
Thats where I differ in opinion though. I don't just bring 0-60 figures into the conversation. For a start how many times do you do 0-60? Its a bit like the JTD VS TS arguement. Both the 2.0 and 1.9 have almost identical figures, but which one feels more flexible for everyday driving? Trust me, engine flexibility is far better with a 1.25 than an Alfa 1.6 - just read the reviews on them too! The MK4 Fiesta onwards drove like Mondeos or cars in 2 leagues higher and Ford knew how to produce compliant/non crashy suspension too!
I take the point though that there is no direct comparison between a supermini and a compact executive as soundproofing etc is all vastly different, but this was not my point. It was mearly to highlight stepping from a lively 1.25 to a lacklustre 1.6 (imo) would not be the best choice, but hey thats just my opinion. The 2.0's after all go for only a fraction more than the 1.6's and the diesels a fraction more than the 2.0, but without having to keep feeding it with oil every mile you drive, or change the cambelt every 30k miles .

(Post Link) post #12 of 21 Old 15-01-08 Thread Starter

It's been really helpful reading everyone's advice - thanks folks!

I think the person who thought their 1.25 Fiesta was quick must have had the older shape which was a lot smaller and lighter. My missus has the new shape and it's heavier/slower. Even so, I get in it after driving my ZS180 (not a slow car) and it feels fine to drive. Not quick but it goes well enough.

I take the point about the petrol engine, if it's had a cambelt just done it should be good for 3yrs.

Can I ask about other problems with the petrol engine - like that one about lack of oil causing bottom end problems, is that rare?

I'm leaning towards looking at 1.9 JTD 8v's they should be cheaper and will still go well
alfa_147_jtd_16v

Yes, I had the Mk4 Fiesta and it was the pre emission controlled 1.25 which meant its 0-60 was 11.9 although as I say it felt quicker than that! The new one (MK6/7) is a good deal heavier (120kg +) so OK, fair point maybe the 1.6 might be OK for you. Anyway, what do I know, we are all different after all.
The 1.9 8V still went like stink...I remember driving it at launch at Milbrook prooving ground and it flew around the mountain course. Its not a bad engine at all. The good thing is that this 1.9 has been around for a fair time now, giving you a relatively good choice on the second hand market.

(Post Link) post #14 of 21 Old 15-01-08 Thread Starter

I've been reading a few more reviews online today. They seem inconsistent, some say the ride is too firm on the 147 and others say it's ok. What do people find? Is it purely down to wheel size or is there a difference in suspension between the (mainstream) models?
cul

Lets say they dont like pot holes
(Post Link) post #16 of 21 Old 15-01-08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul View Post
Lets say they dont like pot holes

Yours is a GTA though, does that not change things a bit?

I don't mind that kind of firm ride as long as there is the handling to match
cul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post

Yours is a GTA though, does that not change things a bit?

I don't mind that kind of firm ride as long as there is the handling to match
True, but all 156 and 147's do suffer from the pot hole crash, although they handle well and are great fun
AO Member

My 147 with 17" alloys is no arm chair on bumpy roads but get a decent surface & it's a dream. I guess 16 or 15" alloys will be a bit more forgiving. But in my humble opinion I think the 17" alloys look best on the 147
(Post Link) post #19 of 21 Old 18-01-08 Thread Starter

Has anyone seen this review of the facelift 147. Personally I prefer the looks of the earlier model, but this page seems to be saying that they improved the suspension a lot

Alfa Romeo 147 | evo Car Reviews | Car Reviews | evo
AO Member

My wifes 145 was in local Alfa dealer for timing belt replacement recently and she got an Alfa Red 147 Series 2 on 17" alloys as a replacement. I really really enjoyed driving this car over the weekend we had it, superb roadholding, revvy engine, plenty of room (despite what I had read) and most surprisingly a very comfortable ride. A fine car and one that desreves to comntinue to sell well. A real Golf beater!!!
NSJ
AO Member

Member car:

GT jts.147

My wife had a 54 plate 1.6TS, which was one of the last pre-facelift cars, and recently changed it for a 147 1.6 Sport. There were changes made to the suspension when the facelift was done, and the new car is much "pointier" in its steering, and although the last one had 15" wheels and the new one is on 17"s, the ride is only slightly harsher. I was in fact pleasantly surprised by this, as all the pre-facelift 147s I drove on loan on 17"s tramlined badly, but the new one has no trace of this.There is also an improvement in percieved build on the facelift, although only time will tell if it is any more than a perception. Having said that, the 54 plate car had no problems at all in 3 years of ownership.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
147 , wife

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page