How to look after it, what to call it and what music to listen to? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 14-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

How to look after it, what to call it and what music to listen to?

How many of you can remember what music you first listened to in your first alfa, was it a choice you had made, or was it was it what was just in the radio?

So I did it.. I handed over some green to the Maidenhead SGT Dealership, and I pick her/him up on Saturday (all things being equal). Which brings me to my first question, is it a boy or a girl? When chosen said gender, what name shall I grace it? And am I taking this too far?!

'It' is a 53 black 3 door 2.0TS 147 with 17" super sport alloys, sports dark grey leather seats, the winter pack (i.e. heated seats) and the blaupunkt CD changer in the boot. It's an absolute beaut, and I cannot wait to pick it up on Saturday and go for a drive. I hasten to add, that this is the first alfa I have owned, and hopefully, one of many to come.

So back to my first question - a boy or a girl? Every time I go to write about the car, I write 'she'. Is this a bad sign, with a tendancy to personify my new alfa, will my girlfriend start getting mad with my love of the other woman in my life? Or should I stick with a solid male personification, and what with the 17" sport alloys and the leather seats, it might be the right thing to do.

Which leads me to naming cars. Is this something that we all do secretly and then get laughed at down the pub when it slips out that your new silver 156 is called chardonnay? Or do people attempt to stay away from this potential social faux pas by not naming their cars? I'm tempted by Gabriella, as a bit of an Italian sounding woman's name, but I have to admit that I'm worried that people will think that I've named it after one of the leads of High School Musical..

Finally.. I tested the Bose system when I tested the car, and fell in love with it. Since I paid the deposit and started thinking about picking it up on saturday, I started to wonder - what CD should I buy, or dig out, that would be the most suitable of driving CDs to play in such an awesome car on it's debut drive.. So here is the crux..

I don't know what to call it, I don't know what to play in it as I drive it away, and I sure as hell cannot wait to pick it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Re: How to look after it, what to call it and what music to listen to?

I remember the first track I heard when I drove an alfa. It was Justin Timberlake, What goes around / comes around.....

Funny that.

That was in a brand new 147 collezione that I test drove from Desira southgate.

2 months later I bought my 02 veloce privately.

OA
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Gtv 2.0 ts

Zola my Gtv is definately male, as for sound's whatever turn's you on at the time, I have noticed that on some journey's I play the same CD for example when driving to my sister's in Somerset i tend to play Nirvana's Nevermind on the A wotsit past Thruxton and Dexy's Midnight Runner's, Searching for the young Soul Rebel's over Sailsbury plain, it must be a sub conscous thing.
Good luck with the 147, and regard's to Julian @ SGT. ( i presume it,s him youv'e dealt with.)
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

First music I listened to was the Prodigy's album Always Outnumbered Nver Outgunned, as I blasted home in it along the M4, buzzing like anything

Men at Work: can't remember the song title - they were an Australian band if I remember correctly.

it was 1982 and I remember it clearly as I'd bought a smart little pioneer radio cassette for the Alfa Sud.

She was definitely female - a ***** of a car, but oh how I loved and lusted after her.

First track I played in my 159 was The Rolling Stones "You cant always get what you want"

Oh yes you can
AO Member

County: Fife

Picked up my first Alfa(33 1.7)in Newcastle, drove it all the way home to Fife listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd and got camera'd on the A68!!
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Can't remember the first song in the first Alfa (146), but I know when we had the stereo upgraded we were blasting out New Order.

I can remember the first song I heard on my first ever car radio..Vauxhall Viva, 1977, didn't have a radio fitted, so added radio, tuned in to hear Blue Oyster Cult's 'Don't Fear The Reaper' on Capital...

Best of all though...when I got my 156, the first song I played in it, by the Danish band Mew was called...'156' (it's on their 'Frengers' album and is not actually about a car as far as I can tell...)
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Essex

I may not have an alfa but my Punto is called Stewie and he's my baby

First thing i listened to was the radio on the way back from picking him up but me being me didnt actually have a clue how to turn the stereo on so a stop in the garage to fill up and mess with all the buttons i finally found radio 1

Now its got a new stereo in i can use
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 14-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Awesome, thanks all for the replies!

Whilst I was out on a run, I decided I'd name him (yes I decided to give him some balls) Mario after a slightly rotund red pixellated gaming character.

As to what I'll listen to, I'm not sure, but I'm going to make a classic CD with some cracking, wheel spinning tunes, and blast them out as I drive the longest possible route home.

On another note, what do you all do to look after your alfas, and washing/polishing?

Any special fuels and oils used?
AO Member

County: Northumberland

Mines a girl. She's got the Bose system fitted and I could only think of one thing to play in it when I picked it up. Took the CD along specially! Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

when i got 'Alfie', my 146 still had the original radio cassette fitted. Didn't sound too good so I didnt bother with it (threw all my tapes away ages ago anyway lol). As soon as I fitted the JVC in, I sat in Halfords car park and whacked on Comfortably Numb by Floyd. Nearly took the speakers out. I must upgrade those!!
Mines a boy btw (Alfie) - cars with female names tend to be unreliable (imho) lol

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
call , listen , music

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page