Lady in Red - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

Darren156

Lady in Red

Argh!

GTV, 156, GTV, 156, GTV, 156!!!!!

Why can't I make up my mind?!

There was me sitting happily trawling through the web for GTV V6's for sale intent on one of them being my next car, my LONG-TERM car, when I came across this beautiful mama!

1998 ALFA ROMEO 156 2.5 V6 RED on eBay, also, Alfa Romeo, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 18-Jan-08 20:09:45 GMT)

Me being me, I've asked the guy a bunch of questions and am currently awaiting his response. His feedback seems crazy but that looks as though it's from pin ball machines or something!

It has an apparent 59K on the clock with FSH and a 55K cambelt change under its belt.

I'm gonna be honest, I love it. Never liked red all that much, but being in the condition it appears to be in and combined with THAT interior, I am officially in love!

Here's a quickie, if the car is 100% stock, would the wheels be right in telling me that it is an SP variation??? As I thought non-SP models from 1998 came with those flat faced 15" alloys? I've asked him what colour speedo backing he has to verify,

Price wise what would be a decent offer? I'm thinking somewhere around the £2.5 marker, if of course everything works etc etc, and the history and cambelt all match up.

Tell me what you think, and please please please no one steal it from me and stick a bid down!

Cheers!
Darren

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0ts

Re: Lady in Red

I paid £2000 for my 2000 (W) 2ltr 156 you could prob get that for £2250
HSTDriver

There's something missing from the back of it

Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

Looks nice, I'm partial to the colour combo
Darren156

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk4230 View Post
I paid £2000 for my 2000 (W) 2ltr 156 you could prob get that for £2250
What mileage did yours have on it though mate? This has 59K apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
There's something missing from the back of it
I noticed that too, I don't mind though as I would get it de-badged anyway as the red lights and paintwork look a bit out of place with the silver badges..

No matter how many 156's I see, the badges and letters and numbers never seem to be put on straight. Almost like Alfa employed a Chimpanzee to do it in each factory.

One thing I am concerned about is he didn't bother closing the Alfa badge up after boot entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicgal93 View Post
Looks nice, I'm partial to the colour combo
You would be,

It's a really nice combo though yeah, and it doesn't look as though it needs anything added to make it look any better. Almost as though this is as good looking as a car could ever be.

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren156 View Post
His feedback seems crazy but that looks as though it's from pin ball machines or something!
This feedback has nothing to do with pinball machines;

Quote:
There were 4 wheels instead of 5, tyres were bald, not about 4 mm of tread.

Quote:
Here's a quickie, if the car is 100% stock, would the wheels be right in telling me that it is an SP variation??? As I thought non-SP models from 1998 came with those flat faced 15" alloys? I've asked him what colour speedo backing he has to verify.
It's an SP3.

Last edited by Roswell; 13-01-08 at 22:43.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0ts

Quote:
What mileage did yours have on it though mate? This has 59K apparently.

FSH and 67000 miles oh and 17" wheels
happy man

Darren I'd listen to Ros he know's his 156's

Darren156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
This feedback has nothing to do with pinball machines.

It looks to me like a SP3.
He sells dodgy wheels then I guess Do you reckon that indicates this being a dodgy car though? He has had it for 2 years apparently...

And the advert isn't arranged like a dodgy one, most people selling dodgy motors make better adverts,

Aaaah, SP3, nice!

What do you think Ros???

AO Member

I love the older seats with the alfa logo in
HSTDriver

Quote:
I noticed that too, I don't mind though as I would get it de-badged anyway as the red lights and paintwork look a bit out of place with the silver badges..

No matter how many 156's I see, the badges and letters and numbers never seem to be put on straight. Almost like Alfa employed a Chimpanzee to do it in each factory.

One thing I am concerned about is he didn't bother closing the Alfa badge up after boot entry.

I wasn't talking about the'1', I was thinking about something a bit....bigger

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Quote:
What do you think Ros?
I think it looks plain and unloved. It could be a bargain... or a money pit!
Darren156

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
I wasn't talking about the'1', I was thinking about something a bit....bigger
Aaaaahhhh!!!!! Ye Olde Enormous El Spoilero!???!

Yeah, but what can ya do?

Sometimes it looks better without it, and the car looks alright without it, so I don't mind.

Quote:
I think it looks plain and unloved. It could be a bargain... or a money pit!
You could be right mate, but it does have FSH apparently, so at least he's been taking care of it that way.

I've asked for more poictures, especially of the engine bay to see what the score is there.

AO Silver Member

its so nice to see a 156 unspoiled by skirts and silly spoilers, shows what a damn fine looking car the 156 is. that looks the biz. personally i prefer my four door saloons in a dark colour but combined with that interior it looks lovely.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Darren, are you Libran by any chance?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
its so nice to see a 156 unspoiled by skirts and silly spoilers, shows what a damn fine looking car the 156 is.
Its a Veloce, its got the side skirts, 16" wheels and has been lowered by 25mm over standard. Only thing its not got is the big rear wing
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GT 3.2

It's too old to be a veloce it is as ros said a sp3
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Ah the lesser spotted 'Alfa 56' Looks mint Dazza, if I was still looking for one then I'd put this down as the 4th car that meets my criteria go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Its a Veloce, its got the side skirts, 16" wheels and has been lowered by 25mm over standard. Only thing its not got is the big rear wing
They weren't called 'Veloce' in the olden days (98), so it's a Sport Pack 3 as Roswell said. The big rear wing wasn't standard on any spec, always an additional option, so that explains that.
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim

Quote:
It's an SP3.
I'm pretty sure 1998 cars came as either standard or sport, ie no SP1,2 or 3. Leather was optional across the range, standard car had wood steering wheel and gear knob and wood effect centre console, black on silver dials, steel wheels with wheel trims except V6 which had 15" alloys.

Sport had leather wheel and gear knob, red on black instruments and carbon effect centre console, side skirts, 16" alloys.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Sorry, you all misunderstood, I wasn't disagreeing with Ros about it being an SP3, just commenting on Jabberwocky's comment that its nice to see a 'standard' 156, which is why I pointed out that it isn't standard, it is lowered, has bigger wheels and side skirts. This one will be an SP3, later on they were called Veloce and were pretty much the same, just a different name
AO Silver Member

Garage

Bid up to £2000 on the strength that what he says is true then go and have a look/drive. If he's lied about anything don't buy it.
AO Silver Member

well compared to most 156 you see on the road that one looks good, no daft spoilers or skirts. ok yes it may have little side skirts but nothing to detract from the original design. as for it being lowered how the hell is anyone(other than 156 spotters) going to know that, as for the wheels, well wheels smeels who is to say they didnt come off ebay, they mean nothing when trying to tell what spec 156 it is. i have the 17's from the zender body kit on my 166, but not the bodykit, does that mean something is amiss? no it means i bought the wheels i like but not the bodykit i dont like.
Darren156

I asked him what colour speedo backing he has, and it's black, so it's an SP variation, and from the other bit's and bobs on the car I'd say SP3.

I've had a few e-mails off of him and he seems like a nice and genuine guy with an AOL account, now I know this won't be a big deal to anyone but me, but as I have AOL as well, it's nice to see someone with a genuine e-mail address for once,

To be perfectly honest, if all he has said is true then I'd pay up to £2500 for it. It's the car I want exactly, in a colour combo that I've grown to love, with FSH and recent cambelt change. (November!)

I really hope this is the one, it looks great! I've asked him if he had a buy it now in mind and will go from there.

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Black on red is pretty cool Dazza, I was looking for the same before my girlfriend talked me into liking them in black I fell in love with the black on black....

¬_¬
Darren156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Black on red is pretty cool Dazza, I was looking for the same before my girlfriend talked me into liking them in black I fell in love with the black on black....
¬_¬
I would have thought girls would prefer Red to be honest.

But then again who knows...

Black on black is great, I prefer it to red to be honest, but at least if I buy one I'll get Kudo's from all the purists out there,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
lady , red

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page