GT and problems? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
GT and problems?

Now it seems like I found a GT that is worth considering! The car is from 2005 (37000 km) and the warranty has run out. The buy would be "private".

BUT... During the test drive a lamp flashed, warning for that the rear hatch was open, even though it wasn´t, The reverse sensor was out of order, warning for anything.

The owner is going to fix it before a deal.

Does this sound stupid? Am I about to buy me a problem?

What other problems is GT famous for, as a model?

Stefan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

GT Q2 & 156 SP2

Re: GT and problems?

My GT sometimes throws up the 'hatch open' if i drive over a big enough bump - i think this is pretty common and nothing to worry about.
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Re: GT and problems?

it could be a sign the car has been rear-ended, so check carefully for evidence of this: poor panel alignment, mismatching panel colours, overspray, and look under the bumper/underneath.

the electrical contact/switch for the rear hatch is built into the actual lock mechanism on the hatch. if the electrics are otherwise ok, then the switch mustn't be activating properly, possibly due to poor alignment. again, may be a result of an accident, but another possibility could relate to squeaks and rattles in the GT. this can be due to poor hatch alignment too, and an attempt may have been made to fix the squeaks, resulting in the 'lamp' problem.

check the reverse parking sensors carefully. as above, may be a result of an accident, damaging one/them. but they can also become unseated from being pushed, or even high pressure car wash jets of water. they are clipped into position, under spring tension. a clip may have broken, and a quick fix with silicone or similar may have been performed, upsetting the sensor. also check the wiring feeding to each sensor: quickly inspect if it's in place and not disconnected (probably too hard to see).

another cause can be a big rear number plate that overhangs across a sensor. check the 2 'middle' sensors near the number plate.

so long as the car hasn't been in a major accident, it's probably allright, and easy enough to have fixed.

there are other threads in the GTA/GT subforum about what to look out for on GT's. in general, a very solid car.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
problems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page