Xenon headlight system or xenon bulbs? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Xenon headlight system or xenon bulbs?

When I was ordering my 159 I had to option to have the xenon lights added for a additional £700, but then I remembered seeing some xenon bulbs on the net a while back.

So I check the xenon bulbs out on the net and they were about £25 a pair. Worked out that I can get the entire head lights done for about £80 or so.

So whatís the difference between these bulbs and the £700 option Alfa had? I presume the Bulbs are not truly 100% Xenon.

Could anyone suggest a good pair of bright xenon bulbs.

The ones I saw:

Osram Night Breaker +90% xenon bulbs at Care4car.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
Re: Xenon headlight system or xenon bulbs?

The £700 option are gas discharge lights. If you can afford them and you drive a lot at night they are the ones to go for. I had them on my last GTA and thought they were great. Couldnt find one when it came to replacing it so had to do without. I still miss them now.

I got a pair of Osram +50% and they are better than standard bulbs but still inferior to the gas discharge ones.
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Re: Xenon headlight system or xenon bulbs?

don't fall for marketing! eeek.

the advertised cheap 'xenon' globes are NOT genuine xenon (gas). instead, they are tinted halogen globes that give a 'xenon look' to the light (bluish tinge). they are chalk and cheese.

xenon-look, quality halogen globes can be an improvement on regular halogen globes which appear less bright and yellowy. globes like osram (as above) and philips Blue Vision or Vision Plus can be good.

but these are not a patch on proper xenon HID lights. these are expensive because it's not just a globe you a buying. it's an entire system:
*different light housing (though it may be similar on the 159 between halogen and xenon)
*automatic, self-levelling system: required to minimise glaring oncoming traffic; sensors are fitted to the front and rear suspension to determine the pitch of the car, then feed to electric motors in the light assemblies to adjust the angle
*headlight washers: in australia at least, this is a regulation/requirement for xenon lights, to also reduce glare by ensuring you can keep the front lens clean
*wiring/electricals: xenons are high voltage, so require 'ballast' which is a high voltage inverter to convert 12V to 1000s of volts to start up your xenons

so it is far from just a globe change. but the improvement in lighting - IMO - is great, and if you can afford it, you won't look back.

try a 'search' about xenons, there lots of info in the forums already, about the globes and differences. also, once you commit to normal halogens, you cannot feasibly upgrade to xenons! it is too late by then, unless you want to outlay the enormous cost of the above setup.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
bulbs , headlight , system , xenon

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page