147 vs GT Handling - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 33 Old 10-01-08 Thread Starter
W_J

147 vs GT Handling

I'm looking to buy either a used 147 or GT and I'm interested in opinions on their handling. I enjoy A & B road driving and so want something that can handle corners/undulations etc well.

The reviews I've read seem to be more positive about the 147's handling than the GT's but maybe thats because they expect more from a GT badged coupe.

I'd be interested in what people who've had some time driving these cars think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Re: 147 vs GT Handling

Don't know about the 147, but the GT handles great, plus how many GT's do you see about? Great car car mate
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

They're both similar cars so would handle similarly I'd guess. Won't be as much difference in the handling as there will between between, say, a GT and a Brera.
kgb
AO Silver Member

County: -

The GT handles better the the 147...due it is larger wheel base.

The GT should also perform better then the Brera...Brera is a real disaster in terms of handling...unlike the 159 which is one of the best handling cars on the market today...even compared to real sports cars.
ode
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

A Fiat

Handling is all subjective.... most cars on the market will handle perfectly well, it'll depend more on how you drive it.

I'd bet that a fast & sweet handling car being driven by a complete tool would get blitzed down a twisty road by someone who knows what they're doing in a complete pile of cack.

Having said that, I'm pretty confident you'd be chuffed with the handling of a GT or a 147, they're both loads of fun
AO Gold Member

I'm sure that any 147 owners given the choice would go for the GT
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

GT has stiffer rear ARBs than the 147, better damping, and lower centre of gravity , longer wheel base for more stability and comfort, and is more aerodynamic, plus more beautiful (147 still lovely of course).

I'd take a GT if space wasn't a critical concern.

[EDIT: for the 3.2 versions I find it harder to choose, 3.2v6 156, 147 and SW's are all lovely)

Last edited by Trailbraker; 10-01-08 at 22:21.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 GTA

KGB, did you have a bad experience with a Brera then?
I wouldnt have expected much difference between the 159 and Breras handling? The 159 does handle very well.
cul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickman View Post
You recon
cul

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb View Post

The GT should also perform better then the Brera...Brera is a real disaster in terms of handling...unlike the 159 which is one of the best handling cars on the market today...even compared to real sports cars.
Doesnt the brera and the 159 share the same chassis?
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul View Post
You recon
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by W_J View Post
I'm looking to buy either a used 147 or GT and I'm interested in opinions on their handling.
will you be considering like for like? for example, both 2L models or both JTD's or both V6? whilst they'll still be different, they'll be more similar than comparing different-engined cars, which may be chalk and cheese, not only for power-delivery reasons, but also front-end weight.

as mentioned, 147 is short wheel base derivative of GT/156. ( @ cul: brera is also short wheel base derivative of 159.) so the chassis designs are very similar between 147 and GT, including suspension design (ie: front double-A arm (wishbone) + rear multilink strut). yet the shorter wheelbase of the 147 theoretically makes it 'more chuckable' and nimble, at the expense of being 'choppy' over bumps. IF both cars shared exactly the same suspension setups, i don't think there'd be much difference. however, the suspension 'tune' is different.

my experiences with 147's have been quite limited, to loan cars when mine is being serviced. overall, the 147 is good, but i think the seating position was a bit higher, which loses some of the 'sporty' feel of the GT, which also has quite a high window sill line for a cocooned feel. i've driven only 2L TS versions, and they haven't absorbed small bumps too well, with a crashy sensation; yet this may have reflected worn dampers as much as anything. GT - albeit mine a V6 - feels more refined; but i will say, the turn-in of the heavy V6 is not as good as a lighter 4cyl TS.

i don't think there's a straight answer, and still depends on the engine choices. i suppose you need to testdrive to find out what you prefer. i personally love the GT.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey
kgb
AO Silver Member

Yep, BUT the brera is shorter...and the car is really heavy for that type of car.

Around the corners (mounting driving) the Brera 2.4JTDm is slower then a 159 1.9JTDm...."tested" on one of the AutoBild's test drives over here.

See the top gear power lap with the Brera...compared to the new TT.
cul

Quote:
Without trying to sound smug, the only GT i would go for is the 3.2
AO Member

Got both, hence profile pic an the Gt is much better, although i would never complain about the 147
cul

@ Shiny.... The seating position on the 147 GTA is a lot lower than the other models.
I agree though, its the engine comparisons that will make most of the difference.
AO Member

County: Queensland

Quote:
Longer wheelbase does not necessarily mean it's a better handler. Generally, it is indicative of improved stability at the expense of slower turn-in.

The characteristics TrailBraker outlined are more likely to affect handling.

Quote:
159 one of the best handling cars on the market?? How many 'real sports cars' have you driven?
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

The 147 is more chuckable. For me, the worst thing about the GT is the ride on the V6. Brace for impact. But the steering, turn in and front end grip is second to none. Can't wait to get the Q2 fitted so the loud pedal can be squashed earlier when damp!
kgb
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
Longer wheelbase does not necessarily mean it's a better handler. Generally, it is indicative of improved stability at the expense of slower turn-in.

The characteristics TrailBraker outlined are more likely to affect handling.

159 one of the best handling cars on the market?? How many 'real sports cars' have you driven?
I have driven a lot of cars, and have driven some of them on race tracks...BUT I am not the judge here...

Just look at AMS testing and compare the 159 1.9JTDm results with other cars.

Do you want me to go into even more details about the 147's handling...the JTDs are 1.5cm higher then the Petrol ones, the JTD front anti roll bar is larger then the petrol ones..same as the GTA...the JTD Q2 rear ARB is same as the GTA too...
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul View Post
@ Shiny.... The seating position on the 147 GTA is a lot lower than the other models.
ah, thought that might have been the case. cool.

AO Member

County: Queensland

Quote:
I have driven a lot of cars, and have driven some of them on race tracks...BUT I am not the judge here...

Just look at AMS testing and compare the 159 1.9JTDm results with other cars.

Do you want me to go into even more details about the 147's handling...the JTDs are 1.5cm higher then the Petrol ones, the JTD front anti roll bar is larger then the petrol ones..same as the GTA...the JTD Q2 rear ARB is same as the GTA too...
I only judge cars that I have driven; I don't form my opinions based on magazine articles.

The 159 is a nice handler for a big heavy sedan, but compared to a proper handling sports car it's a boat.

PS. The information you gave me is about suspension components, not handling.
kgb
AO Silver Member

I have my opinion, you have yours...

No point of replying anything more then that
(Post Link) post #23 of 33 Old 11-01-08 Thread Starter
W_J

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm looking at the same engine in both cars the jtd 150bhp.

All though the quicker turn in of the 147 is appealling I think I'm going to go for the GT as it sounds like the suspension is slightly stiffer and better damped and I like a lower driving poition.

Just need a test drive now to make sure.
Graham P

Quote:

Not particulary true. I'm not massively keen on the GT. I've tried to kid myself that I like it many times and I must say the Blackline certainly improves it but I think it looks too much like a saloon than a coupe. I would bite your hand off for a Brera though

I seriously think my 147 in black with 17" supersports looks more sporty than a GT....and the 147 GTA is arguably the best looking Alfa out there....bar the 8C of course

Just to add to the confusion the GTV is the best handling car I have driven

AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by W_J View Post
I'm looking at the same engine in both cars the jtd 150bhp.
will be interesting to hear what you think after driving each. i've never driven the JTD's (and GT JTD not available here in australia).

i wonder if you'll notice a difference in 'turn in' because of the wheelbase difference. possibly not for that reason. but i suspect there will be a difference, which might be due to an overall difference in suspension 'tune' rather than wheelbase.

and of course, the cars have other significant difference which will sway you one way or the other: looks, size, practicality, etc.

good luck, and keep us informed.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
147 , handling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page