Some Rational Thoughts Please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 39 Old 10-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Some Rational Thoughts Please

My mind is all over the place at the minute. Im looking to get a new Alfa. My current one is a 156 2.0 Selespeed Veloce with the spoiler (that recently made diamonds of my rear windscreen ) and at 110000 miles feel although it is a great car and have served me very well is coming to the end of its life i.e. ploughing more money into it just to keep it going is a bit pointless.

So i thought I would look for another used Alfa 156,
then thought id just look at the approved range on alfaromeo.co.uk, then saw Autolusso's deals on brand new Alfa 159's and GT's for around the 21k mark
then heard about the brand new 156 Selespeed's from Veloces for 12k

And although the 12k 156's are a blinding deal the 159's and GT's just look stunning and will look stunning.

My plea for help is basically at this time is it wise to blast an extra 10K on a 159 or a GT or is the 156 such a good deal it is stupid to over look it considering the 3year warrenty etc? What are parts going to be like to get?

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Re: Some Rational Thoughts Please

You could get a nice second hand GT for 12k. Onwards and upwards.
(Post Link) post #3 of 39 Old 10-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

This is true but my main concern (which I havent mentioned as there are many concerns) is that if i buy a new Alfa I will get a 3year warranty and no MOT's for 3 Years i.e. minimal amount of money spent on repairs of faults before its paid off
Where as buying a second hand one although saving money in the short term I feel I might regret it once the years warranty runs out and Im left to fend for myself when it come to paying for repairs.
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

if we're been rational here, both deals are bad news.
the malaysian imports are asking for trouble, and buying a new car is always financial suicide.

get yourself a 3 or 4 year old car bought privately. plenty of people sell them when the warranty runs out, thats the best time to buy. you get a bargain price, aviod the worse depreciation and you also get the car during the most reliable period of its life.

any saving you get from the warranty and no MOT's on a new car is tiny compared to the huge cost of depreciaiton and VAT you lose when buying new. its a very false economy. buying new is always the most expensive way to own a car.
AO Platinum Member

Those selespeeds have been sitting in a container somewhere. They will need to have the cam belt changed as its been over 3 years.

If I were you, I'd go for the GT. You will still loose 5 grand in the first year after you buy the "new" 156. Plus it is a sele so it's more likely to go wrong.

If you get the GT the depreciation isn't as bad by any means. They are holding their value reasonably well in comparison to the 156.

I agree with Jug.
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

6C 2500

Jug's right...
get a late model 156. Advantages are :
It's as good as a 156 will ever be;
It will have taken the biggest hit depreciation wise;
As long as it's been looked after, it will be reliable and will remain so;
Take it to a good Indie for servicing.

Good luck with the search
HSTDriver

Considering buying new?

Whats the matter, You don't like money?

Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

What OA and Jug said
(Post Link) post #9 of 39 Old 10-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

I dunno why I think buying new will be a better option, part of me feels that I will look after the car much better if ive owned it from new as I know the history of the car, again irrational thought haha

So if buying new is quite obviuosly a bad idea why does anyone do it?

I think Jug and others are right and I will start looking at used also but I feel that not being the most mechinically minded fellow I might make a wrond decision in the car I buy. That being the case is approved pre-owned cars from dealers a good way to go or is that equally as daft as buying new???
Rayq81

Buy new its just ... you know... so nice to have a brand new car to look after

Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Don't forget about buying from Alfa Independents. Do a search here. There's lot's of advice/recommendations!
(Post Link) post #12 of 39 Old 10-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Veloces and Autolusso were where I was looking. Veloces especially as there interest rates are just 4.5% comapred to 7.9% on Autolusso. Very Reasonable.
AO Platinum Member

I would used Autolusso over Veloces.

Veloces have marked up prices!!
Ferryman_1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSound View Post
I dunno why I think buying new will be a better option, part of me feels that I will look after the car much better if ive owned it from new as I know the history of the car, again irrational thought haha

So if buying new is quite obviuosly a bad idea why does anyone do it?

I think Jug and others are right and I will start looking at used also but I feel that not being the most mechinically minded fellow I might make a wrond decision in the car I buy. That being the case is approved pre-owned cars from dealers a good way to go or is that equally as daft as buying new???
Buying brand new is financial madness but it's fun. I did it with the 156 2.0 TS I bought in 98 because there weren't many second hand ones around. But I paid for it in depreciation. It's nice to have a new car at least once in your life. But boy, it costs you a lot of money and there is no guarantee the car will not have mechanical and other problems. Yes, you have a warranty, but the Alfa dealer network is not the best. So unless you have a really, really good dealer near you then there is risk there.

I was in the same position as you. Had an 8 year old 156 with 90K on the clock and wanted to replace. New car not an option for me, especially after the cost of the last one. I am not at all mechanically minded but what I can do is read the excellent info on this site, find out what needs doing/checking and then find an excellent independent to do it for me at a very reasonable price. So I bought a 156 GTA for £8.7 K and have spent £2K getting all the things done that needed doing and now have a car that I know, that is in good nick and is a beaut as well. And all I do is clean it!

Why does anyone buy new? Mainly because they are company cars. Sometimes folks are fortunate enough to have the cash and it is very nice to own a brand spanking new car. But I feel like my second hand car is now *my*car because of the attention I have paid it (and the things I have had done and plan to get done).

If you decide to go new, my advice would be to check out Autolusso (and buy from what they have in stock). If you go second hand (how about a nice facelift 156, a GT or even a GTA), then get an AA inspection. Better still, get one of the indies to do a preinspection for you - lots of them offer this service. That way you'll know what ytou are getting.

Cheers,

Nigel

Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
I would used Autolusso over Veloces.

Veloces have marked up prices!!
I wouldn’t go that far, I have always found Paul at Veloces very fair and reasonable to deal with. I think his cars are slightly more expensive than buying privately but I know he only buys good quality cars and you get a full warranty and good back up.

He and I agreed some time ago that we would sell him our good low mileage part exchanges and he would point people towards us for new cars.

Ned
Graham P

I've seen a few Brera's recently for around the 16-17k mark. Do it

AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire

Bought my GT, sept 06, second hand 6 months old fully spec'd 18" alloys,leather connect + sat nav, parking sensors etc.. saved about 4K list price, still warrantied now.
AO Silver Member

County: Gloucestershire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSound View Post
Veloces and Autolusso were where I was looking. Veloces especially as there interest rates are just 4.5% comapred to 7.9% on Autolusso. Very Reasonable.

Veloces quote the old fashioned flat rate, rather than APR or AER which refers to the annual equivalent rate. The flat rate of 4.5%actually is close to 9% cost for borrowing the money for the time you need it. Work it out. Don't know about Ned's but I suspect he would quote Annual Equivalent, which is how a bank overdraft is normally quoted.
AO Silver Member

I will try to explain the percentages. If you borrow 10000 over 12 months you can divide the year into 78 parts for payment, 12 in the first month, 11 in the second etc. If you pay 450 interest then the share of this in the first month is 69.24, which is 8.3%. Well something like that.
dnf
AO Member

Member car:

various

if you bought a brand new uk spec car and compared it to a brand new imported vehicle,would the depreciation be similar over the same period for the two vehicles.?
for example uk car 20k depreciation over 2 year period =5k
new import vehicle 17k depreciation over 2 year period ??
AO Silver Member

At 2 years old the import would have the same value as the UK car, given the same warranty, but some short sighted dealers would try to claim otherwise.
I know that the Fiat I sourced in Ireland full UK spec fetched the same when I sold it at 6 years old as a UK model, it saved me a genuine £3000, which is what I got for the previous Fiat. If I had P/Xed the old one I would effectively have given it away.
dnf
AO Member

Member car:

various

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithglos View Post
At 2 years old the import would have the same value as the UK car, given the same warranty, but some short sighted dealers would try to claim otherwise.
I know that the Fiat I sourced in Ireland full UK spec fetched the same when I sold it at 6 years old as a UK model, it saved me a genuine £3000, which is what I got for the previous Fiat. If I had P/Xed the old one I would effectively have given it away.
so if you sell it privately it makes little difference but if you part x you get penalised the same amount you save up front?

if the above is the case the only other observation i would make is that selling any car privately you are likely to receive more than a part x price import or not would that be a fair comment?
however i accept not to the values you have stated.
AO Silver Member

Most dealers seem to try it on, up to you, no real difference, if you are the original registered owner.
Its like telling you your car is a load of rubbish to get the price down, not modern thinking.
You should be able to save the discount. I don't work for Ned, nor have ever spoken to him. I was a trader 35 years ago.
I don't believe it is necessary to buy a car from a multi-million pound showroom, which the official dealers have to build.
AO Member

we went from a 156 selespeed to the Gt, got one 6 months old so it had already lost a big chunk off its new price but still had loads of dealer warrenty
(Post Link) post #25 of 39 Old 11-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Stig (if that is your real name!! hehe) Did get your 6month old GT from an Alfa Dealer or from a private individual, or indie?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
rational , thoughts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page