156 Model Variations - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 36 Old 10-01-08 Thread Starter

156 Model Variations

Hi there,

I wondered whether anybody was able to advise me of the variation in specification between Veloce, Lusso etc. in respect of the pre-facelift 156.

I confess I'm a little confused. Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham
Re: 156 Model Variations

Veloce is sport, Lusso is luxury

remember 1998-2000 there was no veloce or turismo, just lusso.

2000-2002 is the pre-facelift turismo/veloce/lusso range (aka mk2)

see the spec differences here: Alfa Romeo 156 Saloon (97-06) Review - Parker's
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Veloce had sports suspensions, lowered 25mm from the standard car. It had sports side skirts too. Aircon and full electrics. And in my opinion The best one to go for.

Lusso had leather and the aircon etc...

Turismo was the base model. Some didn't even have alloy wheels.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

All correct of course! Just to add prior to 2000 it was a basic car to which you could add one of three sportpacks (SP1,2,3) or a lusso pack.

And don't forget the different wheel designs and sizes.

My 156 is supposed to be a sport model. Granted it's a bit weird though as mine is a 1.9 JTDM, but only says 'Sport' on the back of the car. Most others I've ever seen say 1.9 JTD or JTD M-Jet. I also queried the garage I bought it from as they had it advertised as the 140BHP model. As it didn't have the M-Jet badge on the back I couldn't tell if it were the 115 or the 140 version. I checked under the bonnet and saw it had the 16V on the engine cover so thought it must have been the 140 as the 115 is only 8V and not 16V. (hope I'm right on this... )
Mine also has two small badges on both wings right down near the bottom which say 'Veloce'... So I guessed it was a Veloce afterall. One thing I found out after I bought it was that it wasn't a 140BHP afterall, it was a 150BHP LOL, the V5 document has the engine power as 110kW, which would mean it's the 150 version...

Although, my car doesn't look as though it's been lowered...
Darren156

What Jug said.

The Mk1 Pre-facelift model was made up, I believe, of the SP1, SP2, SP3 and Lusso models. The Sport Pack ones came with side skirts, different sized and styled alloys, and better suspension. The SP range ALL came with uprated suspension but I think the numbers differentiated between what wheels came with the car, and possibly spoiler size/style etc.

Ideally I'm after an SP3 1998 V6 as it's pretty much the best (In my opinion) one you can get.

The later models had a Veloce badge which was the sport version of the old SP range, I believe this came with Recaro bucket seats made of grey cloth as opposed to the MOMO leather, they look GREAT though.

The Veloce could have bits and pieces added on to it though, different wheels, big spoiler etc.

But I'm not sure what the original Lusso and later modeled Lusso came with.

The 156 range still confuses the hell out of me though and I've probably got most of what I just said wrong,

Hopefully I havent though.

HSTDriver

Only thing you need to know. If it's got the side skirts, teledials and big wing, then it's uber-cool

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
Only thing you need to know. If it's got the side skirts, teledials and big wing, then it's uber-cool
Minus the wing! I have an ironing board at home thanks.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
Minus the wing! I have an ironing board at home thanks.
I've never been one for doing half a job

Darren156

Hmm, right, now I'm confused,

If I said to you I want the following on my 156, what options would I have:

*Big Wing
*Side Skirts
*16" / 17" Alloy Wheels
*Sports Suspension
*MOMO Leather interior

That is what I'm after from my next Alfa, ideally in Silver with Red leather again but that's beside the point,

Am I right in saying that if I want all of the above, I would have to buy an early model SP range? Or can I pick up a later model Veloce that comes with MOMO leather as opposed to the cloth sports seats?

jug
AO Silver Member

i keep using the "factory fitted" excuse to deflect spoiler abuse, but it doesnt work.

thankfully there is now an accord typeR in the carpark so i'm not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren156 View Post
What Jug said.

The Mk1 Pre-facelift model was made up, I believe, of the SP1, SP2, SP3 and Lusso models. The Sport Pack ones came with side skirts, different sized and styled alloys, and better suspension. The SP range ALL came with uprated suspension but I think the numbers differentiated between what wheels came with the car, and possibly spoiler size/style etc.

Ideally I'm after an SP3 1998 V6 as it's pretty much the best (In my opinion) one you can get.

The later models had a Veloce badge which was the sport version of the old SP range, I believe this came with Recaro bucket seats made of grey cloth as opposed to the MOMO leather, they look GREAT though.

The Veloce could have bits and pieces added on to it though, different wheels, big spoiler etc.

But I'm not sure what the original Lusso and later modeled Lusso came with.

The 156 range still confuses the hell out of me though and I've probably got most of what I just said wrong,

Hopefully I havent though.
I'm not completely sure, but i would guess mine's a Lusso. It has AC, Momo leather seats and two sets of alloys (we have to use different wheels at winter here in Norway).
jug
AO Silver Member

Quote:
If I said to you I want the following on my 156, what options would I have:

*Big Wing
*Side Skirts
*16" / 17" Alloy Wheels
*Sports Suspension
*MOMO Leather interior
mk1 lusso SP3

Quote:
That is what I'm after from my next Alfa, ideally in Silver with Red leather again but that's beside the point,
you want my car with a V6 engine, and so do I!

Quote:
Am I right in saying that if I want all of the above, I would have to buy an early model SP range? Or can I pick up a later model Veloce that comes with MOMO leather as opposed to the cloth sports seats?
you can get a 2000-2002 veloce with red MOMO leather, but it was an optional extra so good luck finding one.
it may be easier to buy a veloce then buy a red leather interior off ebay for £200 and fit it.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
You can get a 2000-2002 veloce with red MOMO leather, but it was an optional extra so good luck finding one.

I have one

AO Platinum Member

Best car to go for is A 2002 interior facelift veloce in rosso red.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...n/DSC00310.jpg

Like mine!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...n/DSCF0342.jpg
Darren156

Quote:
you can get a 2000-2002 veloce with red MOMO leather, but it was an optional extra so good luck finding one.
it may be easier to buy a veloce then buy a red leather interior off ebay for £200 and fit it.
Jug, did all of the Veloce range come with those cloth bucket seats then mate? Because if so I actually quite like them and could live with them if I had them.

If that IS the case, then I could get myself either a Mk1 SP3 or a Mk2 Veloce, right? Because did the Veloce come with EVERYTHING? Ie: Skirts, Spoiler, Suspension?

jug
AO Silver Member

afaik the 2000-2002 veloce only came with the cloth bucket seats as standard, anything else is an optional extra, however plenty of people opted for the leather (but usually not in red.)

i have the veloce cloth interior with bucket seats sat in my dad's garage, i was going to fit it to my 156 but the red leather won me over in the end so i stuck with it. i think i made the right decision, but i still like the veloce interior.

the spoiler wasnt standard on veloce models (or any model), it was also an optional extra. again very few cars had it fitted.

so if you want red leather and a spoiler on the same car you'll need a lot of luck.
AO Platinum Member

I have alfatex seats too. Were these an option?
jug
AO Silver Member

i dont know about alfatex, i've never seen it mentioned on a spec or option sheet on the 156, only on the GT.

i'm not very familiar with the 2002- specs so maybe it was an option after 2002? if the 156 had the perforated leather option after 2002 then it suggests you had the same options as the GT so alfatex would be an option.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
i dont know about alfatex, i've never seen it mentioned on a spec or option sheet on the 156, only on the GT.

i'm not very familiar with the 2002- specs so maybe it was an option after 2002? if the 156 had the perforated leather option after 2002 then it suggests you had the same options as the GT so alfatex would be an option.
In the words of Borat. "T'sis very niice."

Seriously though it wears so well. Not a mark on it. And it's very grippy and comfy.
Darren156

Cheers Jug, I might have to widen my search to any coloured 156 then, which isn't a bad idea as I had silver with red already and could go for a change.

Am I right in saying that ALL SP models and ALL Veloce models had sports suspension though? I think they did anyway.

jug
AO Silver Member

yep they all have the sport pack suspension.

but only SP3 had the momo leather (and veloce with it as an option after that).
Darren156

Cheers Jug, so on that basis, as long as it is either a Veloce or an SP model and I like the look of it, I can buy it,

jug
AO Silver Member

dont forget there are plenty of people who are very confused about the model lineup so they dont even know what they own. that means you will see cars listed as veloce or SP when they are only base models, and vice versa. sometimes you need to check pics, other times you will need to call up and ask about the spec to see what it has, never trust the seller's opinon. for example my car was advertised as a basic model instead of a lusso SP3!
HSTDriver

Quote:

so if you want red leather and a spoiler on the same car you'll need a lot of luck.
Why isn't there a 'smug' smiley available? Just for once, I'd have the opportunity to use it, and it doesn't exist!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
156 , model , variations

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page