Selespeed Downgearing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 09-01-08 Thread Starter

Selespeed Downgearing

Hi all,
Been driving selespeed for a while still not very used to it (especially when going down a gear), just wondering if I just let the system goes down a gear itself instead of me changing it down a gear, would that do any damage to the car?
When I am shifting down gear manually, I have often shift down the gear at the same time the system trying to shift down a gear, end up shifting down 2 gears at the same time or have a warning message "operation not admissable". Also sometimes the down gear shift on the steering wheel doesn't register my click.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
Re: Selespeed Downgearing

On the older selespeeds when you made any manual change it knocked you out of city mode automatically.

If you are running in city mode just let it do its stuff, leave it to automatically sort itself unless you really need to be in manual. Otherwise you were constantly switching from City to manual.

I don't know if 159 differs in this respect.

A downshift won't be accepted if it is at high revs and would put the car over redline, but should work in other circumstances.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 10-01-08 Thread Starter

I don't know if I can change gear when I am in Drive (City) mode, but when I am in manual mode the gear will automatically shift downwards if I don't change it.
I just feel it is smoother to manually shift gear upwards that's why I want to drive manually even in the city. I won't down shift when it is at high rev but somehow the paddles at the steering occasionally will not register my down shift.
AO Gold Member

County: South Africa
Garage

Member car:

Mito QV

The down shift in manual is a lot slower than City. If I let it down shift in manual and don't come to a total standstill at a intersection I usually find myself pulling away in second. Not the case in City
So I manually gear down to first most of the time when at a stop and moving slowly
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I never use city mode as I just cant get used to the system changing up when it wants and its usually just when I'm about to accelerate. Manaul mode is so easy and fun to use that I doubt I have selected city more than a couple of times a year.

There is no need to change down gears if you dont want to. If you brake slow then it will stay in gear longer and make a change only when the revs drop to 1,000 but if you brake hard it will change down quicker with higher revs. Emergency braking will result in selecting the best gear to help you brake. From this you can see it is easy to fool the system if you change down as well. I normally either use manual down shifts with higher rev changes or leave it to automatic - mixing the 2 tends to lead to 2 down shifts.

When you come to a near stop in manual it will stay in second (good for reduced 1st gear crunches but not so good for quick take off). In city mode it will change to first earlier but I found this gave an occasional crunch into 1st.

If you dont get a registered down shift from the paddles then perhaps there is a loose or dirty connection.

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Hi there.
I have found that for me you have to shift gears with both the mindset of a manual driver and an automatic driver to get the smootest ride.
Accelerating and changing gears you have your Manual head on as you decide when you want to change depending on whether you are in a hurry or you have your grandmother in your car.
Slowing down however I will leave the system to do what it likes because if I get involved you do end up downshifting twice and being in the wrong gear. Too many cooks as it were.
I will only downshift myself when (as a couple of other people have said) when I am at a virtual standstill but the Selespeed just wont go into 1st as I am ever so slighty moving.
Hope this helps
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

hi i have found myself breaking less than i used to in other cars i have had , just change down and let the engine do most of the work with only a little breaking as i found that if i breaked to hard and changed down then i droped two gears at once .
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 10-01-08 Thread Starter

Double Downshifts.. that's exactly what I always do...just today I downshifted from 4th gear to 2nd gear...because me and the system down shift at the same time..
Will just let the system downshift from now on.
Strange thing is I never start the car at 2nd gear in manual or city mode and I always seems to get the 1st gear crunches (especially when it is in city mode) probably should try starting at 2nd gear...
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Takes some getting use to the selespeed but persevere and you will crack it, changing down definitly hardest to master ! i still change down manually and occasionally end up in wrong gear but suss it most of time

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
downgearing , selespeed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page