Flashing people on the motorway - your views? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 101 Old 09-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Flashing people on the motorway - your views?

Very occasionally when driving on the motorway and coming upon people in front of me sitting in the wrong lane, I'll stay behind them and give them a flash of my lights, rather than just go around them. I often feel like a bit of a dick for doing this, because the drivers in front may feel intimidated, or that I'm being overly aggressive - which isn't the intention, sometimes these people just need a little wake-up call.

What are your views on the matter? Is it acceptable behaviour, or something only becoming of the pretentious rep-mobile driver who thinks he owns the road and is a law unto himself?

My Flickr Photos | Leave late, drive fast
2002 147 2.0 Twin Spark Lusso . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 156 2.5 V6 SP3 Q2 - Gone but not forgotten

For Sale - Pair of 156 headlights. PM if interested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Re: Flashing people on the motorway - your views?

use the right indicator myself, autobahn stylee - polite way of saying 'Move. Please.' :-)

g
Rayq81

I think its rude and agressive...........and i do it all the time

Graham P

I had to flash someone the other night on the motorway who didn't have their bleedin' lights on....unreal!

I don't flash people to move over though. They usually suss it after a bit

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

I think if you flash from a long way back it's OK. If you steam up to within a foot of their back bumper before giving it full beam and at the same time mouthing obscenities whilst all the veins in your head are bulging it's a bit much.
HSTDriver

If someone is sitting in the outside lane with empty lanes next to them, then I think it#s deserved and acceptable.

However when I'm overtaking someone and travelling at or slightly above the speed limit and somebody appears on my bootlip flashing their lights at me, then I'll take as long over the manouvre as I feel necessary.

As a wake up to a dozy driver - ok

As a 'get out of my way I'm super important' It's a no-no

Last edited by HSTDriver; 09-01-08 at 16:07.

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Gtv 2.0 ts

I sit back a bit and position myself to make my intention's clear without being intimedating.
9/10 time's they clear the way and i don't have a problem, but i only flash if they realy are taking the **** sitting in the overtaking lane at 40 mph, and then i feel bullish !
Dibby

If they're sat out there in the middle/ outside lane, flash away. It's not rude or agressive, they shouldn't be out there in the first place. The second and third lanes are for overtaking, not for cruising along in a dream oblivious to the rest of the world.

I purposely undertake them - if there's room to undertake, there's plenty of room for them to have pulled in before you got up the inside.

AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

147 1.6

I undertake
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
However when I'm overtaking someone and travelling at or slightly above the speed limit and somebody appears on my bootlip flashing their lights at me, then I'll slow down and take as long over the manouvre as I feel necessary.
Don't you think that makes you as bad as the flasher? I'm not condoning someone flashing you out of the way but I feel deliberately obstructing them is just as bad.
HSTDriver

Undertaking - If they're dozy enough to be in the outside lane with no other traffic around them, you honestly think they're alert enough to check mirror and blind spot before moving over and wiping you out?

And you'll be the one at fault, like it or not

HSTDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksAlfas View Post
Don't you think that makes you as bad as the flasher? I'm not condoning someone flashing you out of the way but I feel deliberately obstructing them is just as bad.
If I'm overtaking at (or above) the speed limit, then I'm not obstructing anyone

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Quote:
If I'm overtaking at (or above) the speed limit, then I'm not obstructing anyone
You are if they are wanting to go faster than you.
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

147 1.6

Wakes them up though

Undertaking is dangerous and I live by the rule that everyone except me on the road is the worst driver in the world. What's to say that as you zip up the inside they pull over into you. Flashing headlights is a perfectly acceptable way of getting muppets out of the way, it is not seen as aggressive in Germany. Although in germany if you are sat in the middle lane with the slow lane clear the police will fine you.
HSTDriver

Quote:
You are if they are wanting to go faster than you.
They're free to go faster than me, as fast as they like, in fact. Just as soon as I'm done overtaking

AO Member

County: Fife

Totally acceptable. If they were anything like a decent driver they would have noticed you gaining on them and moved over in the first place.

I'll usually sit on someones tail(not too close mind) for a short time before flashing just to give them the benefit of the doubt. After realising they're asleep/drunk/absurdly high/arguing/admiring the scenery/watching their speedo to ensure they don't do 71/whatever else it is they get up to instead of watching what the f***'s going on around them, I give them a flash.

If they don't move, I follow them home and set fire to them.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Quote:
They're free to go faster than me, as fast as they like, in fact. Just as soon as I'm done overtaking
Fair enough. I just got the impression from your first post you might choose to deliberately back off or slow down whilst overtaking which I reckon is a no-no and also very dangerous if someone is closing in on you.
HSTDriver

Quote:
Fair enough. I just got the impression from your first post you might choose to deliberately back off or slow down whilst overtaking which I reckon is a no-no and also very dangerous if someone is closing in on you.
No, slowing down is a total no-no, but nor will I floor it and speed up to get past the overtaken car and out of the way just because someone flashed me.

I'm far too stubborn for that

[edit] just realised that I did use the phrase 'slow down' in my original post - which was not what I meant, and so now I look like a liar. Off to edit now

(Post Link) post #20 of 101 Old 09-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
...when I'm overtaking someone and travelling at or slightly above the speed limit and somebody appears on my bootlip flashing their lights at me, then I'll slow down and take as long over the manouvre as I feel necessary....
Yeah, this is the kind of flashing that really gets my goat. I remember once upon a time absolutely flogging my poor little 1.1 Punto in the outside lane to overtake something at 90ish, and a Merc full of Asian rudeboyz appearing on my bumper and instantly flashing at me with all he'd got. Of course the 1.1 was revving so high at this point that if it had gone any faster the engine would have fallen out. There was nowhere I could go, and the merc couldn't have not realised this, so rather than flashing he should have just accepted that I was overtaking and waited his turn.

It's when people are dozing around wth nothing to the left of them that they deserve it.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Idea Re: Flashing people on the motorway - your views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglebowski View Post
Flashing headlights is a perfectly acceptable way of getting muppets out of the way, it is not seen as aggressive in Germany.
It probably is here though and that's the problem isn't it? Everyone is so keen to join the bumper to bumper queue of the outside lane and never move from it until 30yards from their chosen junction that if you flash some people they would probably rather brake test you and then stick their rear fogs on rather than unglue themselves from the outside lane!
I am convinced making undertaking legal would help enormously and although there would be a few "mishaps" to start with people would eventually get the hang of it.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Thumbs Up Re: Flashing people on the motorway - your views?

Quote:
No, slowing down is a total no-no, but nor will I floor it and speed up to get past the overtaken car and out of the way just because someone flashed me.

I'm far too stubborn for that
GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

There was an occasion where a bloke who was hogging the outside lane of an almost empty three lane motorway was flashed by the guy behind.... he didn't move over.... so the guy behind flashed and hooted him... the guy pulled into the middle lane and the 'flasher' started to overtake. I stayed in the slow lane and slowed to their speed (about 60) As the flasher drew alongside the other guy swerved toward him - they hit whether by accident or on purpose I don't know - one ended up facing the wrong way buried in the Armco and the other was on the hard shoulder with a very bent car. I didn't bother to stop.

Ever since then I have never flashed the car in front... I usually undertake with extreme caution

AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Rosso/Tan GTV V6

Bit rude and I know how you feel because I do it all the time. Its ok to wake these people up

If I'm in the 'slow' lane with cars streaming along in 'fast' lane and someone sitting in the middle lane I will sometimes undertake them..... I know some of you think this is the most dangerous thing in the world ever, but I always do it after checking around for the fuzz and more importantly having an escape plan should they move to the left (normally plan on hard shoulder). Not once have I had to take evasive action.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

6C 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
use the right indicator myself, autobahn stylee - polite way of saying 'Move. Please.' :-)

g
Agree

Flashing, in this country at least, tends to make the flasher look a berk and provoke the flashee into even more stupid and dangerous driving.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
flashing , motorway , people , views

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page