Any Bad Points on 156 New Model?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 08-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

'96 146 Boxer

Any Bad Points on 156 New Model??

as it says above. I've had a talk with my dad tonight and we've both decided il get the 2004 model 156. It'l set me back €14K so i want to know what to look for in buying it. The garage is giving me a years warranty on it so thats a help too.

Also if anyone interested i've new bushings and shocks for front 96 alfa146 up for grabs. All genuine parts. new t/belts and tensioners for the 146 1.6 boxer and soem other bits. May possibly offload the car privately too.

But for the min i want to know about the 156. Heres the one im looking at on sat and im approved on it and insurance is friendly too.

Ireland Autotrader*-*cars..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Any Bad Points on 156 New Model??

There are a number of dealers in the UK off-loading 156 selespeed 2.0 ts models for £10K - £K12. "Brand new" 2008 plated, fully loaded, with 3 year warranty, if you plan to keep it for a while could be worth a look.
Mines a Guinness
AO Member

County: Kent

For the money that 156's cost in Ireland, I'd look at importing one from the UK, and paying the VRT - you'd save a packet.

I've exported 4 cars from here now for family & friends, and every time it has saved them about €3000 all in - even with the Euro/Sterling exchange rate being the way it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaclover View Post
There are a number of dealers in the UK off-loading 156 selespeed 2.0 ts models for £10K - £K12. "Brand new" 2008 plated, fully loaded, with 3 year warranty, if you plan to keep it for a while could be worth a look.
Nice idea, but the Irish VRT would screw the price way up - so £10k for the car, another £5k in import duty (VRT)... not worth it.
You pay less duty for an older car / more mileage... so for a 2004 156, it wouldn't be much - you can find the car on Auto Trader UK - Buy & Sell New & Used Cars, Car Loans, Car Insurance, then get a VRT quote on www.ros.ie.
Road Tax is a rip-off in Ireland too, as is insurance, hence the probable need to stick to a 1.6. According to the VRT website, the car in your link above is only worth about €9500.

Paddy

Just Sold: 2001 156 2.4 JTD (140) Sportwagon Veloce
Replaced by: 2004 (54) Saab 9-5 2.2TiD Linear Sport
Also own: 2007 (07) Vauxhall Astra Twintop 1.6

Last edited by Paddy2bsure; 09-01-08 at 11:40.
AO Member

County: Cork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie 146Boxer View Post
as it says above. I've had a talk with my dad tonight and we've both decided il get the 2004 model 156. It'l set me back €14K so i want to know what to look for in buying it. The garage is giving me a years warranty on it so thats a help too.

Also if anyone interested i've new bushings and shocks for front 96 alfa146 up for grabs. All genuine parts. new t/belts and tensioners for the 146 1.6 boxer and soem other bits. May possibly offload the car privately too.

But for the min i want to know about the 156. Heres the one im looking at on sat and im approved on it and insurance is friendly too.

Ireland Autotrader*-*cars..
Richie, I imported a GTV to ireland last november and everything went great its on irish plates now. I am also looking to import a 156 2004 Lusso with under 30K for about Euro10-12K.
The selespeeds are interesting also, a brand new alfa for 24K(euro+including vrt), it would be worth about 33K in ireland.

Its quite doable and your bound to make a savings, in fact i'll go to uk and bring it back for ya and half the savings with you
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 10-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

'96 146 Boxer

Looks like i'l be holding the 146 for a while longer... Bank turned down my loan so will be holding off on the new car for now.... NOT FAIR... I wan a new alfa... anyone wanna swap???????? lol
AO Member

County: Kent

Quote:
Looks like i'l be holding the 146 for a while longer... Bank turned down my loan so will be holding off on the new car for now.... NOT FAIR...
Same stuff happening here now - last year the banks would lend to anyone, but it's all tightened up since the Sub-Prime / Northern Rock fiasco. Never mind, you'll appreciate it more when it happens. Go n'eirigh an bothar leat!
Quote:
I wan a new alfa... anyone wanna swap???????? lol
Selling mine soon, but I don't think you'd like the tax on a 2.4
AO Member

County: Cork

Quote:
Looks like i'l be holding the 146 for a while longer... Bank turned down my loan so will be holding off on the new car for now.... NOT FAIR... I wan a new alfa... anyone wanna swap???????? lol
Im selling my gtv, not sure youd like a 2.0l engine tho

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
156 , bad , model , points

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page