best time to buy used - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 08-01-08 Thread Starter
Status: -
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 34
best time to buy used

I have decided to wait until after the new registrations in March before looking for a used late model 156 or even an early GT. I have figured that there should be a lot of trade ins around so easier to find what I want. However, I am also mindful of the fact that there may be dealers offloading unsold used stock more cheaply before more cars come in. Are these fair assumptions and if so, when am I likely to get the best deal?
davecooper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Back to Alfa
AO Silver Member
 
Dougie166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Clackmannanshire
Posts: 4,150

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Re: best time to buy used

I think that the present time is a good time to buy - Dealers are desperate to shift motors, some cracking deals due to the season. Possibly more available in March but may not be as competitive - Go for it, why wait!
Dougie166 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Alfahorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Leicestershire
Posts: 949
Re: best time to buy used

I agree with Dougie.
Alfahorn is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
EcosseOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Australia
County: Victoria
Posts: 893

Member car:

Nada at the mo!!

Re: best time to buy used

The last couple of weeks in January are pretty flat in the motortrade, so plenty of deals to be had. Find a car you like now, negotiate hard then offer them a deal your happy with, but they won't quite commit to at that time

Then give them your number and tell them its a done deal at your price, they'll be on the blower if its not been shifted by the last few days of the month

Last edited by EcosseOz; 08-01-08 at 18:45. Reason: addition
EcosseOz is offline  
Status: One foot in, one foot out!
AO Platinum Member
 
zulu ferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: wgc
County: herts
Posts: 42,278
Re: best time to buy used

Now.:
zulu ferret is offline  
Status: Tentatively treading
AO Platinum Member
 
Hamster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Gloucestershire
Posts: 15,686
Re: best time to buy used

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcosseOz View Post
The last couple of weeks in January are pretty flat in the motortrade, so plenty of deals to be had. Find a car you like now, negotiate hard then offer them a deal your happy with, but they won't quite commit to at that time

Then give them your number and tell them its a done deal at your price, they'll be on the blower if its not been shifted by the last few days of the month
Great advice
Hamster is offline  
dnf
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 154

Member car:

various

Re: best time to buy used

[QUOTE=EcosseOz;1493797]The last couple of weeks in January are pretty flat in the motortrade.

just wondering what you based that assumption on?
dnf is offline  
Status: Sold the 147
AO Member
 
Warsash 147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Southampton
Posts: 443
Re: best time to buy used

I know a guy who is a trader. He says January is always flat as not many people have much spare money after Xmas
Warsash 147 is offline  
dnf
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 154

Member car:

various

Re: best time to buy used

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb5691 View Post
I know a guy who is a trader. He says January is always flat as not many people have much spare money after Xmas
never met a trader who does not say that 365 days a year whether he is selling or buying (by trader i mean it in the real term not as retailer/independant)
dnf is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
EcosseOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Australia
County: Victoria
Posts: 893

Member car:

Nada at the mo!!

Re: best time to buy used

[QUOTE=dnf;1494480]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcosseOz View Post
The last couple of weeks in January are pretty flat in the motortrade.

just wondering what you based that assumption on?
Are you in the motortrade??
EcosseOz is offline  
dnf
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 154

Member car:

various

Re: best time to buy used

[QUOTE=EcosseOz;1495126]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf View Post

Are you in the motortrade??
yes for about 25 years,why?
dnf is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
EcosseOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Australia
County: Victoria
Posts: 893

Member car:

Nada at the mo!!

Re: best time to buy used

[QUOTE=dnf;1495504]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcosseOz View Post

yes for about 25 years,why?
No real reason. Just thought it strange you think my post was an assumption!!
EcosseOz is offline  
dnf
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 154

Member car:

various

Re: best time to buy used

[QUOTE=EcosseOz;1495668]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf View Post

No real reason. Just thought it strange you think my post was an assumption!!
so are you in the trade?
and if so/or not why do you think the last weeks of January go flat?

why i thought it was an assumption
January is normally very buoyant and retail stock difficult to find and prices go up,not as much as years gone bye but that's down to larger companies not dumping stock in dec to protect their balance sheets when historically DEC was a good month to purchase cars below their true value but as i say that is historical and a another storey
finally as a rule of thumb new car sales budget for about a 10% of annual target in january by my maths that does not appear to make january a slow month

Last edited by dnf; 09-01-08 at 17:32.
dnf is offline  
Status: Back to Alfa
AO Silver Member
 
Dougie166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Clackmannanshire
Posts: 4,150

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Re: best time to buy used

Maybe January is not so much a slow month now as there are always plenty of good deals on motors! In other words the trade had to make the deals more attractive to encourage people to part with their cash in January - Hence the reason we say it is a good time to buy.

If the bargain deals were not there it would return to a slow month!
Dougie166 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
EcosseOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Australia
County: Victoria
Posts: 893

Member car:

Nada at the mo!!

Re: best time to buy used

[QUOTE=dnf;1496028]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcosseOz View Post

so are you in the trade?
and if so/or not why do you think the last weeks of January go flat?

why i thought it was an assumption
January is normally very buoyant and retail stock difficult to find and prices go up,not as much as years gone bye but that's down to larger companies not dumping stock in dec to protect their balance sheets when historically DEC was a good month to purchase cars below their true value but as i say that is historical and a another storey
finally as a rule of thumb new car sales budget for about a 10% of annual target in january by my maths that does not appear to make january a slow month
No I don't work in the motortrade, however, I have a very good understanding of it through a number of contacts.

In any event, a quick perusal of car sale statistics (new & used) in the UK (& some other countries), an understanding of stock control, cashflow and effective business models will clearly show January to be a good month to buy (as are June/November to a lesser extent). Lets see:

Sep - New Reg sales, plenty of used stock coming in
Oct - Continued good sales, often better than Sep
Nov - Significant slowdown, stock needs to be moved
Dec - Quiestest month, lots of stock laying about costing money
Jan - Shift as many cars as possible, anything not sold starts to cost big money sitting on lot
Feb - Deals being done for new reg next month, cars on lt from several months ago are costing the business
Mar - New reg again

So yes, January is a bouyant month for sales, but only because the deals are being done to shift what is often old (and expensive) stock. Simple really

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
True Alfisti never question why

We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? Lee Iacocca
EcosseOz is offline  
dnf
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 154

Member car:

various

Re: best time to buy used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie166 View Post
Maybe January is not so much a slow month now as there are always plenty of good deals on motors! In other words the trade had to make the deals more attractive to encourage people to part with their cash in January - Hence the reason we say it is a good time to buy.

If the bargain deals were not there it would return to a slow month!
As is the case in some of the other threads i partly agree with what you say.
But as most people are aware in most industries the word sale appears nearly every week post Christmas period IMO has always been a busy time for used cars for as long as i can remeber,and usually results in the highest sales of the year,which does not go hand in hand with low prices as stock runs scarce and it drives the trade price and therefore ups retail.

However as you rightly said in past years the new year sales were stronger and this has put many potential buyers into January as it matches their natural change cycle whether that be 2,3,4,or 5 years .

With most ncs campaigns and targets finishing at the end of the quarter and the usual manufacturers annual price increase at the beginning of the quarter the pressure on used car margin is also ease's the deferential between new and nearly used prices increase
(easier to retain more gp).

IMO and that's all it is ,whilst i agree certain times of the year potential buyers may have an advantage I think this is more down to what is happening in the new car market (who is doing what and who is following it)which dictates the amount of part exchanges and the value of nearly new vehicles on the market at any given time,which in turn drives used prices down or up as they case maybe.

Dealers will be stocked to the hilt for january (many not all) will be abiding to a used policy (60-90days) that with the anticipated part x for the 08 plate in march is more likley but not a certainty to reduce used prices late feb/early march rather than january which i have said IMO is a busy month.
good news is somewhere there is always the right car at the right price whatever time of year and IMO by doing your research/legwork
thats the one to buy rather than predict market trends,because thats all they are opnions the above just happens to be mine.

HTH
dnf is offline  
dnf
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 154

Member car:

various

Re: best time to buy used

[QUOTE=EcosseOz;1496513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf View Post

No I don't work in the motortrade, however, I have a very good understanding of it through a number of contacts.

In any event, a quick perusal of car sale statistics (new & used) in the UK (& some other countries), an understanding of stock control, cashflow and effective business models will clearly show January to be a good month to buy (as are June/November to a lesser extent). Lets see:

Sep - New Reg sales, plenty of used stock coming in
Oct - Continued good sales, often better than Sep
Nov - Significant slowdown, stock needs to be moved
Dec - Quiestest month, lots of stock laying about costing money
Jan - Shift as many cars as possible, anything not sold starts to cost big money sitting on lot
Feb - Deals being done for new reg next month, cars on lt from several months ago are costing the business
Mar - New reg again

So yes, January is a bouyant month for sales, but only because the deals are being done to shift what is often old (and expensive) stock. Simple really
i typed my previous replie before i saw yours,i bow to your mates superior knowledge, as i said its my opinion its the internet were all allowed it even you based on your mates knowledge,people who read the thread will make there own minds up thats why i assumed the thread started so they could have a balanced view of peoples opinions

dam lies and statistics and all that ect ect
dnf is offline  
dnf
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 154

Member car:

various

Re: best time to buy used

[QUOTE=EcosseOz;1496513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf View Post

No I don't work in the motortrade, however, I have a very good understanding of it through a number of contacts.

In any event, a quick perusal of car sale statistics (new & used) in the UK (& some other countries), an understanding of stock control, cashflow and effective business models will clearly show January to be a good month to buy (as are June/November to a lesser extent). Lets see:

Sep - New Reg sales, plenty of used stock coming in
Oct - Continued good sales, often better than Sep
Nov - Significant slowdown, stock needs to be moved
Dec - Quiestest month, lots of stock laying about costing money
Jan - Shift as many cars as possible, anything not sold starts to cost big money sitting on lot
Feb - Deals being done for new reg next month, cars on lt from several months ago are costing the business
Mar - New reg again

So yes, January is a bouyant month for sales, but only because the deals are being done to shift what is often old (and expensive) stock. Simple really
so simple that on a thread yesterday "wot u reckon its worth" you replied yesterday
THE 147 SEEM TO BE GOING FOR MAD MONEY JUST KNOW,ALTHOUGH CAP VALUES ARE NOT SHOWING THIS TO BE A TOTALLY ACCURATE PICTURE (according to my mate)
dnf is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
EcosseOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Australia
County: Victoria
Posts: 893

Member car:

Nada at the mo!!

Re: best time to buy used

[QUOTE=dnf;1496848]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcosseOz View Post

so simple that on a thread yesterday "wot u reckon its worth" you replied yesterday
THE 147 SEEM TO BE GOING FOR MAD MONEY JUST KNOW,ALTHOUGH CAP VALUES ARE NOT SHOWING THIS TO BE A TOTALLY ACCURATE PICTURE (according to my mate)
There is no need to 'YELL' at me, I'm well aware of what I wrote

If you looked at that thread, you would have also noticed I offered some other advice to the OP as well. It is a simple game, but unfortunately not everyone plays it all the time. If your not happy with the deal, walk away, something else always comes along.
EcosseOz is offline  
dnf
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 154

Member car:

various

Re: best time to buy used

[QUOTE=EcosseOz;1496950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf View Post

There is no need to 'YELL' at me, I'm well aware of what I wrote

If you looked at that thread, you would have also noticed I offered some other advice to the OP as well. It is a simple game, but unfortunately not everyone plays it all the time. If your not happy with the deal, walk away, something else always comes along.
sorry was not yelling just to thick to be able to cut and paste off another thread but you did seem to contridict yourself .

as i feel we have some common ground lets agree to leave it there
as your right its about supply and demand which can -but not always be seasonally affected.
in alfa case desire is quite often a major buying factor regardless of the season
dnf is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
buy , time

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome