veloces of london - scoop deal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 06-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cork
veloces of london - scoop deal

Hey, i was looking there for a 156/sportswagon. Can anyone recommend them or had any dealings with them?

Then i saw this...

Quote:
Scoop deal! We have a limited number of brand new Alfa 147 2.0 TS Selespeed Lusso (Semi-Automatic) hatchbacks available at an incredible saving of 6,000 off the list price! Available in Silver, Red, Grey, Blue or Black. Please call us for details on 0208 275 0630

Scoop deal! We have a limited number of brand new Alfa 156 2.0 16v Selespeed (Semi-Automatic) saloons available at an incredible saving of 50% off list price! Available in Blue, Grey or Metallic Black and a choice of either black or beige leather interior. Please call us for details on 0208 275 0630 as not all the cars we have are listed here.

Scoop deal! We have a limited number of brand new Alfa 166 3.0 V6 Sportronic Lusso (Automatic) saloons available at an incredible saving of 13,000 off the list price! Available in Silver, Grey, Blue or Black. Please call us for details on 0208 275 0630
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Clackmannanshire

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Re: veloces of london - scoop deal

Yeah - Good deals. All been discussed before Use search tools.

Veloces are not the only ones offering these cars and are dearer than the others.
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 06-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cork

really

sorry bout that, thought i spotted a bargin... bit over excited.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Veloces are a well respected outfit although usually a bit expensive.

If you want a 156 then try here - Alfa Romeo Car Dealer - Monza Sports Tuning Ltd £1004 cheaper than Veloces. They have 147's also but 166's sold out.

As I understand it this company brought these cars in - PARK LANE - Alton - Hampshire - UK :: Quality Used Cars by Park Lane (uk) Limited They were selling the 156's for £2000 less than Veloces, Yeah - New 156 with great spec for £10k!!!! They have 147's left

Last edited by Dougie166; 06-01-08 at 19:19.
AO Gold Member

Not only will you find Monza to be cheaper but they will also be very professional in their approach - which counts for a lot.
Turin Brakes

Cracking deals. However I see they're all Selespeeds. Jeremy Clarkson says in Top Gear magazine "Make sure you stay away from anything with Selespeed transmission, or you'll go mad". Is that fair comment?

Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider95 View Post
Not only will you find Monza to be cheaper but they will also be very professional in their approach - which counts for a lot.
I'd second that from a servicing persepctive too!!

I bought two of my V6's through Veloces and found them good but not necessarily the cheapest. They happened to have my right spec at the right time, and feel we both walked away from the deal pleased Nice guy as I remember - Paul??

Selespeeds aren't for me either - but whatever floats yer' boat
AO Member

County: West Midlands

The Selespeed are risky business.

Most of the people ive known with nightmare stories have always been the selespeeds, and most the time its the ECU and other problems. Maybe the early models were allocated to friday afternoon shifts?
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

From the stories I've heard, you are only safe with a sele, if you have a good warranty too.
AO Gold Member

Yes the Selespeed is best avoided. Main problem among others is the actuator in the Selespeed box, which seems to have a very short life. Also the response in the up/down changes is not exactly latest technology. Plus these cars have the TS engine, not the JTS one, so perhaps were originally destined for another market. If you want to go for it at least go for the cheapest deals, such as Monza.
AO Member

County: Kent

The 166's they have available are the pre-facelift model - the newer models were 3.2's.

There's been a lot of discussion about these cars, and speculation that they were part of a cancelled Malasian order (sorry about the spelling)... but also some speculation they the cars were on that car ferry that caught fire a few years back with Fiat's & Alfa's destined (I think) for New Zealand. Change the clocks for mph ones & spot the difference. The damage was only soot/smoke from memory, but because it happened at sea, it was a salvaged lot.

The other speculation is that (in theory) they're already due a cambelt change!!!

Paddy

Just Sold: 2001 156 2.4 JTD (140) Sportwagon Veloce
Replaced by: 2004 (54) Saab 9-5 2.2TiD Linear Sport
Also own: 2007 (07) Vauxhall Astra Twintop 1.6
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

i wouldnt buy a car that has been sat in a container in malaysia for years even if it does have a warranty. sitting in the heat without moving destroys rubber, and there is plenty of rubber on a car. the timing belt should be ready to snap so i would want a full timing belt job done prior to buying one. plus its a selespeed, say no more!

if you really do want one, other people have paid under £9k so haggle.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy2bsure View Post
The 166's they have available are the pre-facelift model - the newer models were 3.2's.

There's been a lot of discussion about these cars, and speculation that they were part of a cancelled Malasian order (sorry about the spelling)... but also some speculation they the cars were on that car ferry that caught fire a few years back with Fiat's & Alfa's destined (I think) for New Zealand. Change the clocks for mph ones & spot the difference. The damage was only soot/smoke from memory, but because it happened at sea, it was a salvaged lot.

The other speculation is that (in theory) they're already due a cambelt change!!!
Oh dear - Paddy you really need to be sure before posting! The 166's are facelift models, the 3.2 was only offered in manual form, sportronic (auto) was/is 3.0. From my investigation into these cars they were indeed destined for the Malaysian market but have ended up in the UK due to a change in Malaysian taxation of imported cars (Doubling the price!?).

The cars were built around 18 months to 2 years ago, therefore cambelt change not yet an issue (Any car sold as new was not built earlier that week, by the way, but cambelt change is calculated from date of first registration! Rush to check build date on Eper).

I dont think that there is any question of them being from the infamous ferry - They were all pre-facelift model 156's surely (any I have seen for sale quoting smoke/water damaged have been), I cannot remember any 166's involved!

The cars are all sold with a 3 year warranty.

Gone but not forgotten - 164 3.0 12v - 156 1.8 SP1 - 164 3.0 24v - 156 SW 1.8 SP3 - 166 Super - 166 3.2 Ti - Brera SV JTDM - 156GTA - 147GTA - 147GTA - 156GTA. Current Giulietta QV

Last edited by Dougie166; 08-01-08 at 17:34.
AO Gold Member

I would like to underline the point Jug made with regard to these cars. If they have indeed spent 18 months/two years holed up in Malaysia then I would avoid these cars. I have worked in SE Asia and we all got used to oil changes every 3,000km and frequent checks due to the extreme humid and temperature extremes. And I'm talking about Japanese cars here, so heaven knows what the conditions will do to an Alfa. Fair enough, if you can haggle down to £9k then good luck, but I would still insist on all the belts being changed!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Cars will receive a PDI and oil change before sale and get a 3 year warranty! why change belts at 2 years old and 0 miles? What is the Malaysia Alfa recommended schedule? - different from rest of us? Do you know where your car sat before dealers then you?

I think you are getting a bit pedantic here - Plenty of cars sit for a year or so before making it to first owner (Eper your cars build date). These cars are built in Italy for worldwide distribution - Climate/heat is not an issue. Are there any cars that are only built for certain climates?

These cars are a bargain, only issue is that they are not up to date models and therefore offered at knock down prices. I would not put anyone off a purchase - Depreciation will be much better than most new motors. Buy it drive for a year or two then sell on, you will not be dissapointed!
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie166 View Post
Cars will receive a PDI and oil change before sale and get a 3 year warranty! why change belts at 2 years old and 0 miles? What is the Malaysia Alfa recommended schedule? - different from rest of us? Do you know where your car sat before dealers then you?

I think you are getting a bit pedantic here - Plenty of cars sit for a year or so before making it to first owner (Eper your cars build date). These cars are built in Italy for worldwide distribution - Climate/heat is not an issue. Are there any cars that are only built for certain climates?

These cars are a bargain, only issue is that they are not up to date models and therefore offered at knock down prices. I would not put anyone off a purchase - Depreciation will be much better than most new motors. Buy it drive for a year or two then sell on, you will not be dissapointed!
I have to completely agree, these cars are a bargain. I was offer them to sell but decided not to as I did not want to get into a bidding war with Paul at Veloces and have customers playing us of one against the other for who was going to work for the least amount of money.

I have been dealing with Paul at Veloces for years and I find him completely fair and reasonable to deal with. I would buy a car from him in a hart beat.

As said before these cars are a bargain, take advantage of it why not? What have you got to worry about with cam belts etc if they are coming with a warranty?

Ned
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Even if these cars have been sat in a hot climate for a couple of years, this is not going to have caused any damage.

I would definitely change the oil, and probably for peace of mind rather than need, have a thorough once over carried out - the pre delivery inspection would probably be adequate.

New cars can often be quite old by they are first registered; for example:

1) the last 3 "brand new" MG Rovers were sold at auction last month - they were built in March/April 2005.

2) I bought a "brand new" Nissan Sunny a good few years ago; a Japanese built for the Cypriot market that, for whatever reason, never sold and ended up over here. The car was 3yrs 8months old when I had it registered new! It never missed a beat, ever.

Those 156's are seriously stylish motors for peanuts; just get a warranty to be on the safe side.
AO Member

County: Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie166 View Post
Oh dear - Paddy you really need to be sure before posting!
Point taken - apologies. I had seen previous ads for brand new pre-facelift 166's and had but 2 & 2 together. Take what I say with a pinch of salt in this instance

Wikipedia syndrome - If you read it online, it must be true

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
deal , london , scoop , veloces

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page