2.4 20v (175hp)JTD vs. 2.4 20v (200hp)JTDM - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 01-07-16 Thread Starter

County: -
2.4 20v (175hp)JTD vs. 2.4 20v (200hp)JTDM

Moi!
I'm a new Alfa 159 owner (by accidently ) and I have run in a few problems. I've read and study everything concerning Alfa 5-cyl. diesel engines in this forum (thumbup) and similar forums in finnish language. I believe I have quite good basic knowledge of these engines, but I need more information before I start to do anything.
So, the problems is that I bought Alfa 159 2.4jtdm sportwagon from auction (great looking car). There was mentioned that it's engine is broken but that was all. Now I got the car in my garage and I found phone number of previous owner and he told me that the engine is damaged because of lack of motor oil. Motor is totally jammed so I think easiest way is to change whole engine. (What's the point to buy fully working car if you can buy it much cheaper with few problems) Here in Finland 2.4 jtdm engines are difficult to find and are very expensive. There is of course much better supply in Europe but freight cost are quite high. But 2.4 20v jtd's from alfa 156 are much common in scrapyards in Finland. And now we are getting to my question.

My plan is to buy 2.4 jtd engine and change all auxiliary components from jtdm engine to jtd engine. Main power increase are made with different turbo and mapped fuel system with upgraded injectors. I mean that all what I'm going to use from jtd engine is crankshaft, cylinder block, cylinder head, camshafts, pistons, con rods. Just bare engine block+cylinder head and inner components of them. I know that crankshaft, pistons, camshafts and con rods have same part numbers between these engines. Does anyone know if block and cylinder heads are similar? Is there some missing mounting holes between blocks for example? And how about head?

Does this sound stupid idea? Or should I just try to get original type engine at any costs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Original type would be easiest. But yes its the same and you can swap the ancillaries over to get it to work. As you say the power difference is made from bolt on parts.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter

County: -
I didn't managed to find new engine in reasonable price, so I opened the jammed engine. There was one connection rod twisted causing piston to hit crankshaft. Now I'm looking new conrod, what are all markings on it? There is a number; 68127 and FGP that are same in all conrods. And then there are number; L11 / O13 / P13, it's different in almost every con rod?? Could it be somekind of weight mark? There are also markings 1,2,3 etc. to sign a right cylinder/conrod combo. Engine hasn't been opened never before...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
175hpjtd , 200hpjtdm , 20v

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page