Which engine? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 22-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

'99 GTV 3.0

Which engine?

Hi folks,

thinking about buying an early 156 & wondered what considered opinion is on the 1.8, 2.0 or 2.5.

It won't be used as a daily driver, so day-to-day economy isn't an issue, & though the v6 would be sheer indulgence, I'd consider one.

Are the 4-cylinders similar or noticeably different, & are the gearbox's the same?

Thanks in anticipation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Which engine?

having driven the 1.8 and 2.0 there is a difference and if you can get a 2.0 then go for it... fuel consumption is not much different.

however if you can afford the thirst and maintenance of the 2.5 then of course, go and enjoy the V6.
m0t
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GTV Lusso 3.0

I have a csc backbox on my 2.5 and it sounds glorious, people comment on my lovely sounding car! If the extra cost of the v6 isn't an issue then that is the one to have.

2.5 all the way, if only for the sound through a s/s exhuast. t.s. are moer agile and easier to work on but not a much bang for your buck. 2.0 ts 150bhp and 2.5v6 192bhp. small adjustments to the front suspension can reduce alot of the v6 understeer. fitting a stiffer antiroll bar to the rear also helps. ive had both and dont think id go back to a four banger.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

For best handling/performance/economy compromise go for the 2 litre. For noise and straight line speed go for a V6 and if you want to sound like a tractor but get good fuel economy go for a diesel.

I actually find my 2 litre a bit underpowered though so I personally wouldn't go smaller.

I have had V6's and now the 2 litre twinny, in everyday use I prefer the Twinny.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

If it's not a daily driver, V6.
If it is, 2.4 JTD.
AO Member

Gotta be the V6

Sound and the sheer grunt,will have you going back for more,you have been warned

Do your homework before you buy so you dont get any nasty surprises,it will heighten the pleasure !

D
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

The 2.0 has quite a bit of go compaired to its rivals, the snag is it doesn't feel very quick! I would have sworn my 145 would have left it for dead, but in reality there isn't all that much in it.
I really like the 156, and I don't think you'll be dissapointed with a 2.0, but if it was me it would be a 2.5 all the way (3.2 if I could afford it!)
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 22-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

'99 GTV 3.0

You guys are a pain.......you like 'em both.

I live in a rural area, so most driving will be minor A roads & some 'B'.

I'm not gonna pussy-foot it, but not 'gun' it either......so what sorta consumption could I expect from a 2.0L or the V6?

The 2.0L will probably be plenty, as for the past 7 years I've been driving an Accord 1.8, which in my opinion had hopelessly-matched engine/box ratios.

But, as I said earlier I'm willing to consider both. Apart from fuel, does a V6 engined car cost more to run in other ways?
AO Member

There will be some out there that might disagree with this 1 but i think if you have a decent mileage with a V6 you have the following to consider...

1.Engine is capable of big mileage b4 rebuild
2.24 Valves and 6 pots are able to absorb stress across the rev range much easier than your traditional 4 pot(sorry all you twinny fans out there)this in itself is confirmed by looking at the official alfa service schedule,still 72k 4 the V6 timing belt!(that's another story )
3.No doubt that the timing belt and water pump change does cost more for the V6 generally,this greatly depends on who & where you get it done,eg:i got mine done incl parts & water pump for £400,beat that!

I await your responses

Derek
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Facelift 2.0 JTS Veloce. A looker with a belting engine!
AO Member

Member car:

V6 nothing beats it, end of, and talking of which i seem to have a spare 156 v6 sitting on my drive way
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksAlfas View Post
If it's not a daily driver, V6.
If it is, 2.4 JTD.
with 'im.

v6 - 192bhp, fantastic, high revving, great top end, sound.
1.6, 1.8, 2.0 - not for me.

2.4jtd, tunable for 'not a lot' to over 200bhp - my choice, LSD, 312lb/ft at the wheels and 36mpg driving like you just stole it! 5 pots sounds good as well.
(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 22-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

'99 GTV 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo156 View Post
V6 nothing beats it, end of, and talking of which i seem to have a spare 156 v6 sitting on my drive way
I have read, Enzo, of yours, but as an 'ignoramus newbie', buying a motor needing fixed wouldn't be a good starting point. And you're around 400 miles away.

Any update on it?
AO Member

Ex-105

You need to clear some of your inbox,your full!!!!!!!!!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

The 4 cylinders cars are cheaper to service than the 6 potters for example cam belt changes cost £400 as opposed to around £280 for a TS. The clutch is also big money to change on a V6 and still quite expensive on a TS.

Some argue that V6's are more reliable, but problems do occasionally occur such as blown head gaskets and bottom end problems (there are usually a few on ebay for spares/repairs), and if a V6 goes wrong it will be more expensive than the 4 cylinder cars to put right.

Fuel consumption will be between about 18-25mpg on a V6 and 25-33mpg on a TS depending on the way you drive.

They are both great though test drive them both to see which one suits you best.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page