156 1.8 engine transplant - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 22-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8 engine transplant

hi, i'm hoping this wont sound like a stupid question.....

i'm putting a new 1.8 engine in my 156 ('98) as the previous one blew up i have found a replacement 1.8('02) but it does not have Air con fitted, mine does, is it possible to fit the air con pump onto an engine that did'nt originaly have one?

also how much difference is their between the 140bhp engine and the 144bhp one?

i would really appreciate any info or help i can get on this one.

thanks, Luke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

m0t
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GTV Lusso 3.0

Re: 156 1.8 engine transplant

From what I can gather from eper and the workshop manual the aircon pump on the 1.8 is fitted to a plate that bolts to the engine, you should be able to swap this plate assembly over to the new engine and bolt the compressor to it as the engine block will have the mounting holes for it (according to eper the same plate support is used for 98 and 02 engines).
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 237
County: Moray

Member car:

GT jtd 156Sw jtd

I second that , just clean out the threads that are on the block so that the bracket can be bolted on with ease. The second thing you might need is a different aux belt,probably your original?
(Post Link) post #4 of 24 Old 22-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Brilliant! that was exactly the answers i was praying for! haha. yeah your right, i'm sure i'll have to use the original belt for it.

thanks very much guys,

Luke.
AO Platinum Member

You may need to swap the crank pulley for the aux belt. There are two different types with different numbers of grooves. So you need all the grooved pulleys matching and obviously the corresponding belt.

I'd fit new belts too.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

As David C said, replace the belts, don't re-use the old ones

As for ancillaries, you may do well swapping all the auxilliary components from your old engine - including the mounting bracket on the left hand side (looking from the front of the car).

There is no difference between the 14 and 140bhp engines as far as I know. The difference in rated power is due to engine management and exhaust factors - your original '98 engine was to EUro2 emission standards, but your '02 replacement will be Euro3.

If I was you I'd strip everything off the replacement one and replace it with the parts from your old one - only using the new block and cylinder head - to avoid any confusion with electrical components, intake and throttle, and any other minor changes between the two.

Remember you'd do well to change the clutch and the variator while you're at it. I've got some 1.8 parts going as I started but never finished the exact same project you're doing now. I have a variator, clutch, spark plugs, and some other bits. PM me in the new year if you're interested

My Flickr Photos | Leave late, drive fast
2002 147 2.0 Twin Spark Lusso . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 156 2.5 V6 SP3 Q2 - Gone but not forgotten

For Sale - Pair of 156 headlights. PM if interested
(Post Link) post #7 of 24 Old 13-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Right, thanks very much for the advice guys, changed all the electrics for my originals, no problem. got the air con on without issue! put new belts on, bit tricky but sorted now, got everthing together and wired up but.........

there is a problem with the clutch..... the pedal goes to the floor with out resistance, and clutch fluid has started to drip out of the bell housing..... now here's the stupid bit i may have depressed the the clutch pedal by accident before the engine was in...... would this have pushed the clutch "piston" out and therefore released the seal? leaving the clutch constantly engaged/on/seperated...

i appreciate my stupidity in this matter! but is there any way of solving this problem without splitting the engine and gearbox again?

thanks very much,
Luke.
AO Platinum Member

The clutch slave cylinder is built into he clutch release bearing, so you will need the gearbox out to get to it.
(Post Link) post #9 of 24 Old 14-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ok, thanks david, i assume that the slave cylinder will have to be replaced then?
thanks.
(Post Link) post #10 of 24 Old 20-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

right, i've changed the slave cylinder and the clutch now works fine, thanks david. but as the un-ending torture of trying to get this thing started the yellow CODE light has now come on, it never did before, i have read the other posts about this and have tried the following:

1.disconnecting and re-connecting the battery
2.removing the reciver ariel on the ignition barrel - wiggling it, holding it close to the key etc.
3.removing and cleaning all the relays in front of the battery
4.giving the battery all full charge (its quite new)
5.connecting the both terminals together for a half hour to "reset" the system (obviously with the battery removed)

i dont have the alfa emergency code i'm afraid, is there anything else i can try? apreciate any help on this its driving me crazy!

thanks, Luke.
AO Platinum Member

You should be able to get the code from any Alfa Main Dealer.
They will probably charge for it though, usually about £10.
While you are at it, get the alarm PIN code too.

With the emergency code it will at least allow you to start the engine to make sure it works.
(Post Link) post #12 of 24 Old 20-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ok thanks david, headin over there now, what is the alarm pin? and what do i need it for? is it likely that i'm gonna have to fork out for new keys? or do they just need re-programming?

cheers, Luke.
AO Platinum Member

You probably don't need the alarm PIN right now, but you may as well ask for it at the same time.
It is not shown on the same card as the immobiliser code & key codes.

Keys...?
Have you changed anything relating to keys or ECUs?
(Post Link) post #14 of 24 Old 20-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ok, i asked for it they took a photocopy of my V5 and are getting back to me tomorrow with the info.

no i've not changed anything to do with keys or ecu that i know of, i changed the engine and the induction manifold everything alse stayed original. the code light was'nt on before and even when the engine was out the code light still was'nt on, it only happened when i disconnected the battery to wire up the starting/charging system.

thanks very much for your help on this matter i'm at the final hurdle and completely stumped! feels like i've forgotten sommint but cant figure it out.

thanks again, Luke.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Ah Luke, what a nightmare! Seems like you've done everything right an then it just won't play..

Best of luck to you fella, you have my sympathy
(Post Link) post #16 of 24 Old 22-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

A nightmare indeed, although a thought has just srung into my head that it might be of my own making..... having read in-depth as many post related to this topic it has become clear that when the code light comes on the engine still turns over.....

mine does nothing when i turn the key other than the glow of the hazard light switch goes out for a second.

could i have got the alternator control wire mixed with the starter solenoid engage wire? or would sommint big have happened by now?

still waiting on code from alfa........

Luke.
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

the code isnt going to help you out if your starter motor isnt turning.
a fully charged battery would be top of my list of things to try.
Chris155

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeyw View Post
A nightmare indeed, although a thought has just srung into my head that it might be of my own making..... having read in-depth as many post related to this topic it has become clear that when the code light comes on the engine still turns over.....

mine does nothing when i turn the key other than the glow of the hazard light switch goes out for a second.

could i have got the alternator control wire mixed with the starter solenoid engage wire? or would sommint big have happened by now?

still waiting on code from alfa........

Luke.
If its a code issue the starter should be turning over. It sounds like a wiring fault. Have you connected all the earth cables?

(Post Link) post #19 of 24 Old 22-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

hmmmm, right i have connected all the earth cables and have just cleaned them all up to make sure i'm getting a good connection.

battery is fully charged and showing 12.81v

the starter has no earth cable it just has a thick red cable from the the main loom wich is then jumped onto the alternator.

then it has the small red wire the engage the solenoid. then there's a small black wire to the back of the alternator.

the only thing i can think of is that i've got the two small wires the wrong way round? i.e. small black wire to starter solenoid and small red to alternator?

or is it possibility that the starter has taken this opportunity to fail?

soo many questions i'm sorry.

thanks, Luke.
Chris155

Is the solenoid operating?

(Post Link) post #21 of 24 Old 22-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

thanks for the fast reply chris,
how would i find out if it is , does it make a noise or can you see sommint moving?

Luke.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Should make a noise as it pops in/out. You'll probably need another pair of ears under the bonnet though.

Good luck with it all, I never got this far with mine!
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire

Can't remember the colours of the wires off-hand - but I don't think that's your problem...IIRC the small wire to the alternator is a live feed to energise the alternator - so is live whenever the ignition is turned on - so if you'd swapped them over the starter solenoid would be getting a live feed as soon as the ignition key was turned....

You could check by testing for power on the starter solenoid wire - it should be live when the key is turned to MAR - if it is, but your starter doesn't operate, then your starter has failed......

Are you sure you've got the earth cable to the engine (well, gearbox, actually) properly connected? It's the only other thing I can think of which would cause the problem you've got....

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
(Post Link) post #24 of 24 Old 23-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

hi guys, i set at it with a volt meter today.......

turns out some fool (me) had'nt checked all the cables properly only the ones i had messed with and the short fixed cable from the solenoid to the starter was loose for some reason, tightend it up and away it turns!

the code light is still on and there for she wont fire up but i'm going over friday morning to get the code. i'm assuming that the code will allow me to start it once, then i will have to re enter it every time? or will it fix what ever caused it to come on in the first place?

also the starter doesnt engage every time, not like the flywheel teeth are nakered just spins freely, i'm guessing this is just a sticky sloenoid cause its been layed up outside for 6 months? is there a quick fix for this or a leave it and see.

many thanks for all your help everyone thats posted replys and to the people on other threads that i've reading, should have her running on friday! fingers crossed.
Luke.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , engine , transplant

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page