Engine starting problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 11-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Engine starting problems

Hi All

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with a problem. When I go to start the engine it doesnt always start - the various checks on the dash dont come on and if its as if its struggling for everything to start. A quick wiggle of the keys and the dash lights come an it goes through the checks and it then starts. I've also had the warning lights come on and sometimes get the immobilizer failure

Had a new battery fitted but the problem has still been intermittant. Getting a bit worried now! and am waiting for it to go wrong

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated!

Its a 2004 147 - having belts and variator changed in jan

Thanks in advance

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham
Re: Engine starting problems

if you get nothing at all on the dash on the occasions it does not start that suggests the ignition switch wiring and/or connector has a bad connection. wiggle the connector on the switch and fingers crossed it'll be fixed permanently.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Check the box of relays next to the battery. The contacts corrode, and this will prevent the car from starting, as they are for Variator, Fuel pump, ignition services, air con and other things.

The next on the list would be crank sensor, although when mine failed the injector light would be on if the car wasn't starting.

Member car:

147 2.0 TS Lusso

Hi there -

i have been having the same (or similar) problem. sometimes, particularly if the car has been standing for a day, it seems reluctant to start. i sometimes get an immobilizer failure, but taking the key out and starting it again usually does the trick.

Today was different though... it sounded like it was barely turning over when i tried to start it. a very slow "cough"... ... "cough" ... ... was all i got.

it was pretty cold here last night (probably below -5C). i will check the battery / antifreeze and the relays (thanks) and let you all know how it goes though i have a suspicion that it is not the battery...

B
jug
AO Silver Member

battery sounds most likely considering the slow starter motor speed and the fact that the cold makes it worse.

Member car:

147 2.0 TS Lusso

thanks jug -

how difficult is the battery to change? i am certain that i can do the physical swap of the part... but i am a little concerned about messing the immobiliser or something after changing it.

i have been digging about on here and a few other things might suggest a poor battery (like the fuel gauge being a bit weird) and now i think about it, these problems started after i left the lights on (i know... dumb me - but that was 3 months ago...)

it looks a little warmer out there now, so i will have a go at jump starting it and see if that helps...

I'll let you know.

Thanks,

B.
jug
AO Silver Member

dont worry about the immob, just make sure you keep the keys out of the ignition during the change. simply unbolt the securing bracket, loosen both the terminals off then remove the battery. stick the new one in, connect the securing clamp and terminals, job done.

Member car:

147 2.0 TS Lusso

Excellent - i hope it is as simple as that!

i just tried to start it again from cold and there was no joy. But a jump start seemed to sort it right out - started first time.

Off to Halfords for me i think...
jug
AO Silver Member

screw halfords, it will be half the price at your local motorfactor.

Member car:

147 2.0 TS Lusso

too late sadly. i need the car for work tomorrow... so gotta be sorted out really. got the new battery and managed to fit it before it got dark. seems to be ok now.

Thanks for your help, and good luck to jw_147... hope yours is as easy to fix as mine was...

B

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , problems , starting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page