Twin spark oil temperature - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 18-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Twin spark oil temperature

Hi, there's a guy in one forum that sells oil and is always stating that the twin spark engine runs the oil hotter then normal engines, then the vast majority of engines, is this true?

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
engine oil temperature goes hand in hand with RPM and oil viscosity. The higher either, the hotter the oil temperature. engine load has a small influence on oil temperature

10w60 runs about 20įC hotter than 10w40 for the same rpm (inside the main and big end bearings)

So if you would agree that most TS engines run a higher viscosity oil and are used with more revs on average, then he is correct.
AO Platinum Member

RPM affects the oil temperature... so if you run at normal revs your oil will be the same temperature as the same oil at the same rpm in a Toyota etc. T/S has an oil-water heat exchanger which helps.. and if you're doing a lot of high rpm work (in higher atmospheric temperatures - summer blasting about) then you might want to stick in a small oil cooler... but otherwise just keep using good quality oil and change it on schedule (or even twice as often). The beast will live forever.

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #4 of 24 Old 23-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
So the question that comes to mind is: what oil does a type r or vti uses?
They go beyond the revs from the twin spark...
Do they use only 10w60oil?
Regards
AO Member

County: Sofia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubinhu156 View Post
So the question that comes to mind is: what oil does a type r or vti uses?
They go beyond the revs from the twin spark...
Do they use only 10w60oil?
Regards
No, they run 5w30-40 and are tighter engines probably.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
I think the general consensus on the Twinnie is 10w40 semi although other variations won't make a huge difference. Most will use oil anyway, although some won't and it's all a bit of a mystery why.
AO Member

I've been thinking about the twin spark warming up and oil temp. I have a mk3 golf 1.6 100hp and it warms up twice as fast as my 146ti and it manages to keep oil temp around the 90C mark. Does that mean there is a lot more friction in the golf's engine than my 146 or is the warming up related to other things?
AO Gold Member

Oil warming up is related to the rpm you are doing foremost.

The bulk and material of the engine also plays a role. It takes more time (and calories) to heat up 100kg of iron than it does to heat up 80 kg of aluminium...

Then there's the coolant/oil interlinking and the coolant capacities... Also the TS has a ribbed oil sump for extra cooling, whereas the golf likely has a regular steel sump without ribs.

Does the golf have an oil temperature gauge, or are you looking at the coolant temperature?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
Oil warming up is related to the rpm you are doing foremost.

The bulk and material of the engine also plays a role. It takes more time (and calories) to heat up 100kg of iron than it does to heat up 80 kg of aluminium...

Then there's the coolant/oil interlinking and the coolant capacities... Also the TS has a ribbed oil sump for extra cooling, whereas the golf likely has a regular steel sump without ribs.

Does the golf have an oil temperature gauge, or are you looking at the coolant temperature?
The golf has a cast iron block it has a regular round sump and it has a digital gauge on the digifant onboard computer and it reaches 70C in 1-2 minutes. But come to think of it has a vavle from the air box to the exhaust manifold and that helps a lot probably. Didn't think the ribbed sump does so much for cooling.
AO Gold Member

There's nowhere in the engine the oil stays longer then in the sump (while driving obviously). A sump that sheds more heat is a significant improvement.
AO Member

County: Zagreb
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubinhu156 View Post
Hi, there's a guy in one forum that sells oil and is always stating that the twin spark engine runs the oil hotter then normal engines, then the vast majority of engines, is this true?

Regards
simple answer - yes

I installed a oil cooler on my 2.0 TS,

temperatures before instal:

I live in a hot climate

on the highway ona a sunny day(30+ *C) doing 4000 rpm, car goes 125 km/h - the oil temp was ~ 125 *C

after installing the cooler the temp reached max 100 *C

Most of the TS engines fail due to oil overheating.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoRR View Post
simple answer - yes

I live in a hot climate

on the highway ona a sunny day(30+ *C) doing 4000 rpm, car goes 125 km/h - the oil temp was ~ 125 *C

That can't be true, if you keep 125 degree for a few hours the oil would need changing...
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyle View Post
That can't be true, if you keep 125 degree for a few hours the oil would need changing...
I have gauges from Prosport for oil temp & pressure in the car and the readouts are incredible I agree.

That's why a lot of 2.0TS engines failed. Summer, air temperature above 30*C and highway...
AO Member

Quote:
I have gauges from Prosport for oil temp & pressure in the car and the readouts are incredible I agree.

That's why a lot of 2.0TS engines failed. Summer, air temperature above 30*C and highway...
Where is the sensor located?
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
I've been thinking about the twin spark warming up and oil temp. I have a mk3 golf 1.6 100hp and it warms up twice as fast as my 146ti and it manages to keep oil temp around the 90C mark. Does that mean there is a lot more friction in the golf's engine than my 146 or is the warming up related to other things?
Would that be down to the temp gauges working differently? The TS shows the actual temp where the Golf is taking an average ..

If you watch a TS gauge it will go up slowly, drop suddenly as the thermostat opens and then rise up and sit fairly steadily if everything is working as it should. It it doesn't you should be looking at the thermostat, the sender, the rad, the rad fan resistor, ....

My TS coolant will normally be up to temp within about 5 mins and about than 3 miles of driving.

I bet if you watch the Golf is just floats up and sits at the normal mark .. whatever that is ..

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
Would that be down to the temp gauges working differently? The TS shows the actual temp where the Golf is taking an average ..

If you watch a TS gauge it will go up slowly, drop suddenly as the thermostat opens and then rise up and sit fairly steadily if everything is working as it should. It it doesn't you should be looking at the thermostat, the sender, the rad, the rad fan resistor, ....

My TS coolant will normally be up to temp within about 5 mins and about than 3 miles of driving.

I bet if you watch the Golf is just floats up and sits at the normal mark .. whatever that is ..
The Alfa gauge does craw up slowly, the heater starts to blow hot air after 5-6 minutes and 30C (dash temp) the gauge moves around all the time. The golfs gauge shows 90C between 80-100C and i reaches 80C way faster.. 6-7 minutes.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
simple answer - yes

I live in a hot climate

what oil viscosity were you using? It's perfectly normal for a 10W60 to get that hot.
AO Member

My sensors is located between the oil filter and the engine block.

I am using selenia racing 10w60.
Other oils tjat I used would get as hot as this one (gradations 5w50 & 5w40).
AO Member

Quote:
simple answer - yes

I don't think that's true at all. Most twinny's fail due to cam belt failure or running on low oil. Head Gasket will usually go first with overheating and thats not too common on the twinny
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR68 View Post
I don't think that's true at all. Most twinny's fail due to cam belt failure or running on low oil. Head Gasket will usually go first with overheating and thats not too common on the twinny
I'd say the first thing that lets loose on a twinny is the big end bearings, I've overheated mine due to fan switch failure no gasket problems so far.
AO Gold Member

big end bearing is a very hot part of the oil. at least 30 degrees hotter than bulk oil temperature + it's reused oil from the crank main bearings so could be dirty. The big end is also the heaviest loaded.

That's where you'll get issues if the oil isn't up to the job, in a NA car.
AO Member

Nothing to do with oil temp if there is enough of it. Any engine can suffer from bottom end failure but with the twinny, it's usually due to the fact that most twin sparks use oil, and they fail because careless owners do not keep a watchfull eye on the oil level. There is a secondary issue which comes with cam belt failure. The pistons can hit the valves and result in a flat spot on a crank bearing. If its not regonised as a potential problem when the top end is rebuilt, then the bottom end may fail at a later date.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
The Alfa gauge does craw up slowly, the heater starts to blow hot air after 5-6 minutes and 30C (dash temp) the gauge moves around all the time. The golfs gauge shows 90C between 80-100C and i reaches 80C way faster.. 6-7 minutes.
Think you may have a thermostat issue ... although I don't know if the 146 reacts the same ways as the 156, 30C is too low after 5-6 mins of driving.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
Think you may have a thermostat issue ... although I don't know if the 146 reacts the same ways as the 156, 30C is too low after 5-6 mins of driving.
It's all brand new, that's is just the way the old gauges work.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
oil , spark , temperature , twin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page