Hi, 156 engine replacement questions - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 08-12-07 Thread Starter

Hi, 156 engine replacement questions

Quick introduction.
I'm mainly into old VW's but I've been offered a 156 by a mate.

It's a 2001 2.0 T/S Lusso
The engine has gone (we think big end bearings)

I can get a 1.8 T/S engine locally for a good price.

I want to know what problems I could encounter changing them over.
Anything like ecu's, immobilisers,different exhaust manifolds/downpipes? different engine mounts or wiring looms?
That kinda thing.

Then either use it as a cheap track day car for learning a few tracks or stick it in my garage for 2 years and then sell it as the last working one left.

Cheers and hello

Gav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Re: Hi, 156 engine replacement questions

It was all going so well until your last sentence....

Assuming that the 1.8 is from a 156 you should be able to do a straight swap....if its out of an earlier model (ally topped engine) then you have to change a few bits - cam sensor, cam covers, thermostat housing...and of course use the manifolds off the 2.0...

I'm fairly certain that the 2.0 ECU will run a 1.8 - might get odd fueling issues but the ECU should sort itself out, really....

Someone else asked me about this swap recently - so I'd be interested in the feedback when you've done the job

Richard

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

159 Ti

the 164 twin spark was chain driven, may fit if you change ancilleries over (not sure) but has the benifit of not snapping belts.
(Post Link) post #4 of 18 Old 08-12-07 Thread Starter

Cheers for the advice.

So far so good.
Check list so far.
Non ally top engine
chain driven engine may/maynot fit

More questions.
Do the 1.8 and 2.0 use the same loom/connector on the ECU? (Thinking I could get the 1.8 ECU as well)
Is it only the engines from the 164 that are chain driven or those ally top ones too?
Is it the 1.8 that doesn't have balancer shafts and all that gumpf?

Any tips/tricks for removing the engine/box? (eg on the vw's one of the bolts for the starter motor also holds the front engine mount to the engine so unless you know this the engine drops forwards).

Exhausts, any difference in engine height which requires a different manifold?(there is on some 1.8 to 2.0 vw engine swaps)

Ooh last question, is there an alfa equivelant of the vw parts software, etka.
(big exploded diagrams of everything and part numbers)
AlfaLincs

I seriously don't think the 164 Twin Spark engine will fit at all. Its a totally different engine. It is however a much lighter engine in spite of its basic design being at least forty years older than the modern TS, and it generally does not break. Thats progress for you

All 156 engines have cam belts..bless them

Good luck with your 1.8 swap.....

By the way..what is a VW?...never heard of them

AlfaLincs

(Post Link) post #6 of 18 Old 09-12-07 Thread Starter

[QUOTE=AlfaLincs;1443195
Good luck with your 1.8 swap.....

By the way..what is a VW?...never heard of them

AlfaLincs[/QUOTE]

They're the one's that last more than 70,000 miles

Just kiddin, cheers for the help.

Update:
Just bought an engine, 2.0 T/S outta a 2001 156
It should arrive tuesday.

fingers crossed eh.

Last edited by Nordoff; 09-12-07 at 13:37. Reason: update

lol @ whats a vw - god i miss my golf!

the alfa is lovely to look at....but i'm swapping mine after 2 months of owning it. Its only 4 wi 56k but its been in for a lot of bits and now it needs more. Next its back to VAG or BMW and never ever will I buy another alfa, sorry lads.

I can see the attraction, it really is gorgeous looking, but unfortunately as reliable and well made as a £1.99 childs toy from the petrol station, that was made in china, by monkeys

(Post Link) post #8 of 18 Old 17-12-07 Thread Starter

Quick update.
Got the engine as I've said.
Got an engine crane off ebay.
Just got to get the car round to my house over xmas then the fun starts.
AO Member

You have to tackle this head on and don't let it beat ya

I don't rely on my alfa as a every day car so i aint too bothered when it goes wrong,BUT it has some weird ideas and can be VERY tempramental!

The engine and box(if your re-using) come out the bottom,unless like me if you hack off the front end with a stihl saw never did have much patience

Good luck,as Richard has already said,keep us posted good or bad !

Derek
AlfaLincs

Evil Scotsman says

"the alfa is lovely to look at....but i'm swapping mine after 2 months of owning it. Its only 4 wi 56k but its been in for a lot of bits and now it needs more. Next its back to VAG or BMW and never ever will I buy another alfa, sorry lads."

Sorry to hear that, but it really is the luck of the draw. I bought our 2.4JTD in March 07 completely blind off ebay with 42k on it. Its now done 67k and it hasn't missed a beat...so far. We are very impressed with it, but I agree that the quality of fixtures and fittings is not as good as it should be.

I would also say from the heart that 159 is far far better made than 156, so keep an open mind. Whilst 156 was a massive step forward in looks, it was regrettably a step backwards in quality and reliability from the 164, and Alfa have taken this on board with the 159, and hopefully the cars to come.

My brother had bucket load of trouble with his Golf and a Polo, and he won't go back to them, And my brand new Golf Gti needed a clutch after 5k, but otherwise I loved it.

AlfaLincs

AO Silver Member

Member car:

159sw 2.4 ti!

good luck Nordoff!
keep us updated please

my brother has had a 02 Bora from new and had no end of troubles! he will never buy VW again!
my cousin has an 01 and x passat and has had problems too, not as bad as ours though.
the alfa (while expensive servicing) has actually fared much, much better! next, 159!

my brother is going Japanese in the next few months, Civic IMA or Toyota Prius...
(Post Link) post #12 of 18 Old 06-01-08 Thread Starter

Bit of an update.

Got the car.
Got the engine crane.
Got the engine.

Here's a few pics.

and the track day is the 20th of this month
(Post Link) post #13 of 18 Old 11-01-08 Thread Starter

Started stripping it down, wondering if I can support the gearbox and leave it in place and just raise the engine out.
PS how do I get classifieds enabled?
I'm gonna have some good bits left over from the one I'm taking out.
AO Silver Member

County: Powys

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilscotsman View Post
lol @ whats a vw - god i miss my golf!

the alfa is lovely to look at....but i'm swapping mine after 2 months of owning it. Its only 4 wi 56k but its been in for a lot of bits and now it needs more. Next its back to VAG or BMW and never ever will I buy another alfa, sorry lads.

I can see the attraction, it really is gorgeous looking, but unfortunately as reliable and well made as a 1.99 childs toy from the petrol station, that was made in china, by monkeys

Oddly enough I ditched a low mileage VW Polo to buy my 156, I didn't need to change my car and the VW was reasonably reliable, but like all things in life you get out what you put in, and the VW was the most non engaging car I have ever owned, not the worst ( Vauxhall Astra diesel Estate ) but it had no soul or spark, and build quality was well down on my Fiat Punto I had before the Polo
The 156 is a fantastic car, build quality on mine seems excellent, shutting the doors or the boot giving that familar clunk you get off a BMW 5 series, it is let down only by the smallest of details, mainly the use of cheap nuts and bolts.

Would I buy another Fiat? yes
Would I buy another Alfa? yes
Would I buy another VW? never boring unimaganitive choice for someone with no interest in cars

Bright Yella Fiat Stilo 3dr 1.9 jasons tractor diesel Cruise, dz climate, n leather, so many toys now with 17" claws
Sadly the STILO is for sale, I've now got a Renault Master beavertail
I pop in here to have a look now and again-but don't know what to say
Written off in the prime of life...My Bella.
2.5 V6 SP3 156 Cosmos Blue, Black Momo leather, Carbon dash.Freeflow cat, pipercross filter,Smoked repeaters, Scuddetto centre grill, blacked out side grille bars.

good luck with your project hope ya upload some piccys when youve done it.

and leave alfa 156 alone there ok mine nackared but there good cars like owt else depends how you look after it.

mines suffered a gearbox failure and NO NOT THE SELESPEED lol strangly.
mine has done 130k engine is still sweet never had anything other than serviced when its ment too and the gearbox fail was a plastic thrust bearing kinda thingy not sure of its name but it was mashed up.

my doors dont clunk there still like new and me cars a 2000 plate and i dont have any other faults at all the engine ya still cant hear it when doors are closed and musics playin.

so best of luck and ignore the comments on alfa i support the useless company thank god fiats there to back them up lol

ill sell ya my beloved motor if ya want it cheap and the wife and doggy comes free with it usefull for the dishes and the dog hates the law so perfect deal.

drool
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droolingunited View Post
mines suffered a gearbox failure and NO NOT THE SELESPEED lol strangly.
mine has done 130k engine is still sweet never had anything other than serviced when its ment too and the gearbox fail was a plastic thrust bearing kinda thingy not sure of its name but it was mashed up.
drool
What where the signs that the box got knackered ? my 156 has done 120 k and lost 4th gear some weeks ago, but strangely it healed itself, but now I have a squealing sound from the box, (like a slipping belt) everything works perfectly. Could it be the pressure bearing ?
(Post Link) post #17 of 18 Old 12-01-08 Thread Starter

Now, to disconnect the gearbox and go up or leave the box on and lower it down?

Hi rarebear.

Mine wouldnt start and was stuck in second gear, the clutch arm wouldnt move it was stuck solid so we took the box off to find a plastic part was mashed i think there called the release bearing it sits on the splines of the gearbox and pushes onto the clutch, well that was eaten up badly..ive got a new prob though after all of that which is.

only got 1,2,n,r i reckon its in limp mode after its failure but need to get it on the alfadiag and sort it out. she runs now so defo fixed what was wrong unsure why it happened.

and the mine was making squeeling sounds before it went and i lost 4th sometimes and the clutch would slip but not often.

Drool

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , engine , questions , replacement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page