Electronic key popped out with engine running - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 02-12-07 Thread Starter

Electronic key popped out with engine running

Just had two gremlins crop up on my 159 one pretty minor one possibly hugely dodgy

1. display is showing that I have possibly got a number plate bulb out, when in fact its a headlamp bulb that has gone, not the end of the world and I can forgive it.

2. My digital key sprang out of the dashboard and the engine continued to run, now this happened outside my house so I simply pressed the start button to kill the engine put the key back in and off I went....but what would have happened on the motorway would the steering lock have engaged if I'd changed lanes???? without the key in its holder. I have noticed another thread about this, does anyone know what the situation is regarding safeguards on this system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Electronic key popped out with engine running

The engine stop does not work unless you have stopped the car with the correct procedures,it should flash on the dash that the steering lock is not on.

My car has been dropping out while ideling, (I have another thread about that). Its only done it a few times and always while stationary.
but I too wonder what happens if it does it while I am moving as I lose steering and whatever the hell it is that powers the brakes, they work but it feels like trying to stop a Mack truck with BMX brakes.

I find the concept of driving along and suddenly being without power, steering or braking to be quite scary.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

LT... Hunter had that happen to him too as he reversed off his driveway (I assume this is the thread you are referring to ) but I'm not sure if he had it checked out or not!!
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 03-12-07 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
LT... Hunter had that happen to him too as he reversed off his driveway (I assume this is the thread you are referring to ) but I'm not sure if he had it checked out or not!!
I'll check this morning and feedback Alfas comments
(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 03-12-07 Thread Starter

Just had Alfa on the phone they have really looked into this one with there technical guys.......Its trouble!!!!!!!! there is a chance the steering lock can come on if the key pops out which wouldn't be funny on the M5, so if you have experienced this get to a dealer!!!!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotgrace Tradin View Post
there is a chance the steering lock can come on if the key pops out which wouldn't be funny on the M5
I for one will not being travelling on the M5 from now on then

:coat:
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Just had Alfa on the phone they have really looked into this one with there technical guys.......Its trouble!!!!!!!! there is a chance the steering lock can come on if the key pops out which wouldn't be funny on the M5, so if you have experienced this get to a dealer!!!!
CRIPES!
(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 03-12-07 Thread Starter

Bugger the M5, I've got to go to Milton Keynes on Wednesday 500 roundabouts and I'll be waiting for that dead mans click on every bl**dy one of them
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Bugger the M5
I pretty sure you won't be travelling to MK if you do that LT as I'm pretty sure it's against the law !!

The only issue I've had with my key it it switching the electrics back on for a split second whilst taking the key out !!

You could always tape your key in before setting off !!
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 03-12-07 Thread Starter

Alfa have just called back, he knew I was miles from any dealerships, and that I needed to go on a business trip this week, so he looked at the route I was taking and gave me two alternative dealers that I would be passing, the names of the contacts at the dealerships and offered to phone through and explain the situation so I could drop of my car and pick up a loaner !!!!!!!!!!!

I am the biggest teddy throwing grumpy old man in the world but service like this needs a big pat on the back so .....if Alfa U.K are reading this, your guy Sam Brandon in technical deserves his salary being doubled and an 8C as his next company car bloody well done!!

Re buggering the M5 against the law or not it deserves it
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Alfa have just called back, he knew I was miles from any dealerships, and that I needed to go on a business trip this week, so he looked at the route I was taking and gave me two alternative dealers that I would be passing, the names of the contacts at the dealerships and offered to phone through and explain the situation so I could drop of my car and pick up a loaner !!!!!!!!!!!
I am the biggest teddy throwing grumpy old man in the world but service like this needs a big pat on the back so .....if Alfa U.K are reading this, your guy Sam Brandon in technical deserves his salary being doubled and an 8C as his next company car bloody well done!!
... well done Sam @ ARUK
Quote:
Re buggering the M5 against the law or not it deserves it
Yes indeed !!

AO Silver Member

Nice To See.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
electronic , engine , key , popped , running

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page