New Engine needed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 27-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

New Engine needed

Hi All,
I have just been offered a 2002 (02) Alfa 166 Lusso for £950.00. The car looks almost immaculate internally and externally but the engine is totally knackered. All things being equal, would the cost of a new or replacement engine be worthwhile. Can anyone provide details of engine re-manufacturers,
Thaaanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

Re: New Engine needed

there's a chap on ebay that fits recon twinnies for about a grand...if the rest of the car is perfect then it's probably worth it expecially since the new engine will have belts etc already done. Only other thing that might be worth doing at the same time is the clutch....
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

meant to ask, what's up with the existing engine?
(Post Link) post #4 of 22 Old 27-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Hi,
The existing engine rattles like a nest of - well - rattlers..If I leave it on tickover the temp climbs to 130 quicktime. I suspect a catastrophic head gasket failure..
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

might still be cheaper repairing the existing lump...if it's top end rattle then it could be just the variator - although if it's that bad then it could indicate oil starvation which is bad news for big and small ends. Any knocking from lower down? Any steam or other signs of HGF?

Always best to fully investigate the problems rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water
(Post Link) post #6 of 22 Old 27-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Hi,
The exhaust is steamy and there does seem to be some bottom end knocking. The inside of the oil filler is a bit 'creamy'. It's a toughie really. No really easy clues. They're all marginal (?). I suppose a dealer would punt a new engine rather than repair the old one..The guy on E-Bay seems knowledgeable. I may give him a call..
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

it's a tricky one as if you get a garage to start stripping and engine you quickly get past the point of no return depending on what they find and they you'd be wishing you'd just put a new lump in. If the bottom end knocking isn't too bad then a new set of shells should solve that but combined with other work it's a tough call if it's worth it....
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

buy a 146 TI and rip the engine out, cheapest option.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Is it a 2.0 T.S. engined 166? Or a V6?

Ital Auto's do recon engines for £1150 fitted, advertise on eBay. Put in a new clutch, probably replace the radiator if it looks in poor condition and you'll have a good car for a good few years probably for less than £2,500.
(Post Link) post #10 of 22 Old 07-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Hi,
I decided to get a recon unit from Ital autos as advertised in E-bay. The collection charge from Leeds to Chesterfield is only £60. What does irk me a little is the 4% service charge if I use Paypal and that the recon doesn't include a new variator (it does include new belts though). he also thinks that the rings have burned out due to a faulty MAF. Has anyone any experience of this? Car gets collected tomorrow so should be cruising soon
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

haven't heard of rings being burned by a faulty MAF before....good news that you're getting a heart transplant though - let us know how you get on
AO Silver Member

County: -

I had a 156 2.0 Twin spark and the engine rattled too at high revs, it also overheated to 130+ after driving it for a short while in traffic. I did the following;

The rattling was actually valve bounce, cos the dealer that fixed the timing belts and the new variator set the valve timing wrongly, so got that sorted first. The belts were also whining, cos they were fixed too tight. I got the cylinder head taken off too and fitted a new head gasket. I replaced the timing belts, tensioners and balance shaft belts, I also changed the water pump, cos alfa waterpumps have plastic impellers, I dont know why??? I changed the thermostat, the lambda sensor and the air flow meter, oh and I did a full service, plugs, oil the other usual stuff. All this cost me about R14,000 which is about GBP 1100,00. After that I have not had any problems. She now has 256000km on the odo and my dad's having a ball shunting her around on the freeways in Johannesburg.

Good luck man

Stephen Manjai (Alfa 166 3.0 V6)

Stephen Manjai
BMW E36 M3 3.0 (1996), Subaru Outback 3.0R (2009), Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV (1968)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

Ive just had my TS engine rebuilt... it had a rattle at 4500 rpm and started to missfire a bit... as time went on the missfire got worse.

eventually i did a compresssion test and number 3 cylinder was down.

when stripped, they found that the piston in number 3 was melted and had no rings left in it, bore was scored of cause, also the exhaust cams were severely worn on 3 and 4

the engine was rebuilt using a scondhand block and pistons, head reground, new belts, replacement cat (partly blocked)and a new clutch

car is fantastic to drive now

the part that alwasy worries me about buying a replacment engine is that unless you take it to bits and check it all you have no idea what youve got, still i guess there should be a warentee on it
(Post Link) post #14 of 22 Old 10-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Hi,
Yes I feel the same. I'm going to ask for a new MAF, new t/stat, new waterpump, new variator plus probably new clutch plate too. It's fingers crossed after that.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

2nd engine is no more risky than buying a 2nd hand car...clutch is a good idea while the lump is out as the clutch kit is only about 130 quid and there's no extra labour involved. New stat and water pump are overkill IMO....variator is maybe worth doing since the belts will be done as well presumably.
(Post Link) post #16 of 22 Old 10-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Yes the belts are going to be new..I have heard some horror stories about stats and water pumps though..You reckon not a problem though. Thinking about it, the reason I asked for these things is because the current engine was overheating badly and I thought I may transfer a problem when they move all this stuff to the new lump..
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

water pumps are very reliable on the twinks - problem on some V6's due to the plastic impellor. The stats tend to just slowly degrade over time and the engine normally runs too cold or take an age to heat up (which i'e notice mine is doing these days...). Overheating was probably due to HGF or fecked rad.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

well a second hand car can be driven, you can listen to it, feel it

a second hand engine on the floor is an unknown, and how may TS cars are run low on oil and end up on ebay

so im not so sure its so safe

better to have a look inside, new shells, new head gasket, head check etc

but maybe thats what this company is doing
(Post Link) post #19 of 22 Old 14-12-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Hi,
I just got off the 'phone with Italautos. It seem that my engines problem was a piston ring failure on one cylinder. How and why a piston ring should fail I don't know but I've heard it's quite a common thing. Anyway, I'm getting a refurbished engine with new belts, variator, MAF and clutch kit for 1550.00 so 'm really pleased. All alfa parts too! I get the car back next week.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

my engine had no piston rings left on number 3 cylinder, piston had melted on the side... low oil level is to blame i think

seams like a good price if you love the car, mine is so much better with its new engine also
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

all this talk of lovely new engines is making me jelous! Seems like a good price from italautos to have everything done....would cost about 800 quid or so just for the clutch and belts.
AlfaLincs

You can also break piston rings by over revving..which is not entirely uknown on an Alfa.....I managed to break a piston ring on my mums Peugeot 204 by over revving it when I was 19..I was doing a hill start somewhere near Ambleside with six people in it..and overcooked the engine with the revs

(all the write ups said it would rev to 7000 revs..but it wouldn't)

AlfaLincs

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , needed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page