cambelt ohhh! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 24-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

3.2 GT

cambelt ohhh!

hi, in the middle of changing cam belt , tensioner , idler, water pump etc. couldnt get the cam pulley loose next to no.1 cylinder after much thumping with iron bar but belt seems to tension ok. what do you think? also had to twist belt next to said pulley to get belt on, good or bad? jamie porter very helpfull but i wish he was on hand 24/7. oh and by the way i used to be mechanic, im glad im not anymore,, f****** cars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

Re: cambelt ohhh!

twinnie or V6?
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 24-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

3.2 GT

v6 2.5 manual, cheers for asking, niall.
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

did you get the holding nut off or could you not get the pulley off the cam? I guess the last one is more critical as it will transfer any slack to the tension from the other three. If its just the pulley stuck on with the bolt off a rubber mallet did it for me.

HTH
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 25-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

3.2 GT

i managed to get the bolt undone, but the pulley wont go slack on the taper joint, i even thumped it with crowbar and lump hammer! also when i look at crankshaft position, the marks are slightly out when the no. 1 piston is at tdc when read with dial gauge and adaptor tube. and cam lobes are both facing away from buckets/valves. i wonder should i reposition everything or stick with how it was originally?
AO Member

County: New South Wales

Have you got the workshop manual,if not ring a service center and ask them to fax the section on cambelt changing. I did mine 12 years ago on a 3.0 v6 but can't remember,but if I were you I wouldn't risk any mistakes!
AO Gold Member

have you got the cam locks?

If so I would be inclined to take of that cam lock and have that cam out a fraction and and tension correct rather than the cam correct and the tension not. That last one 'passes' the tension (or lack of) to the tensioner so if it does not do so the belt gets stretched and released on each revolution, which is not good for a long belt life.

How appropriate would it be to apply a little heat to centre of the cam pulley? I cannot remember how close the rubber seals are, but may be the way forward, with that lump hammer.

HTH
mudhut

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelito View Post
i managed to get the bolt undone, but the pulley wont go slack on the taper joint, i even thumped it with crowbar and lump hammer! also when i look at crankshaft position, the marks are slightly out when the no. 1 piston is at tdc when read with dial gauge and adaptor tube. and cam lobes are both facing away from buckets/valves. i wonder should i reposition everything or stick with how it was originally?
Hit it (from the gearbox end of course) with a hide or copper hammer or place a thick block of end grain oak or beech (mine was about 100mm thick and about 150mm long) and a club hammer (which is what did it for me). You have to cover the head to stop bits of wood and all that stuff. I really had to belt it quite hard and it felt like maybe too hard but there was no damage. Just thought I'd mention don't take the centre bolt right out but I expect you already knew that.

It's scary don't you think, as you obviously don't want to steel to steel contact anywhere, including the pulley?

I think having got this far, that you should continue to try to get the pulley off and set the timing as it should be. Don't see why the pulley would not be susceptible to some very localised judicious heating, but be prepared to replace the seal behind it.

Good luck - especially with torquing this one back up again. My 164 had zero room!

(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 25-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

3.2 GT

well, thanks for all the input. this morning i just went out and gave the pulley one last bash on the bottom and hey presto its loose! yippy. i'm still not happy with the crank position though, i see there is a bit of play before the belt is on and i just hope i've got it right.
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 25-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

3.2 GT

It's all back together now, just got to get fluids tomorrow and start her up, fingers and toes crossed.
In the mean time i'll be out on my big Z.
AO Gold Member

well done, very satisfying knowing you've just saved £400 in labour and VAT.
mudhut

Yes - good work and a pat on the back.

(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 26-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

3.2 GT

Thanks all, she's all done and up and running, been out in her this afternoon and no problems yet, theres a different note from the engine but i guess that could be the new water pump, idlers etc. I'm so chuffed i think i'll bleed the clutch and clean the brakes next

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cambelt , ohhh

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page