Engine temperature - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 22-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Engine temperature

1997 Spider. Temperature gauge has figures 50 / 90 / 130 with bars between. What temperatures do these bars represent? I had new radiator and thermostat fitted. Gauge gets to just over the first bar after 6 miles - what actual temp is that? It get no higher. After a long wait in traffic it gets towards - but never onto - the 90. Is that good or bad?
What should it run at? Is my new thermostat set wrong? (can you 'set' them?)
PS The engine runs like a dream never missing a beat so there's not an obvious problem. Just an uncertainty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Engine temperature

Hi mate

TO me it sounds like your thermo stat is perfect!, i dont know if you can set them or anything but from my knowledge the fan kicks in at about 93 and cools the engine down in traffic, it should sit on between 48 to 60 when cruising depending on the weather.

Cheers Josh
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

It sounds like your thermostat is dodgy to me, it should sit between 85-90ºC all of the time that the engine is hot. If it drops below when travelling along quickly then it is most likely faulty. Though the actual reading on the gauge can sometimes be wrong.
AO Platinum Member

Yeah - could be the thermostat is stuck open - hence the cold running temeratures - however, the GTV/Spider does take a long time to warm up, so on a short journey it may not get to its normal temperature. Take ot for a blast on the motorway (about 20 miles or so), and see what temperature it runs at then.

By the way, having the aircon on makes them run cooler too...
AO Silver Member

Mine sits at 60-70 constantly, heater gets real hot and car runs well, I recon the guages are far fromn accurate.

Dan
AO Member

The car should not be sitting on 85-90 degrees when traveling unless its hot weather, if it does then your thermo is not operating correctly.....
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
It sounds like your thermostat is dodgy to me, it should sit between 85-90C all of the time that the engine is hot. If it drops below when travelling along quickly then it is most likely faulty. Though the actual reading on the gauge can sometimes be wrong.
Yes, engine temp should sit just below the 90 mark when traveling and upto about 95-100 when stuck in traffic. If you have the AC on full then you will get lower temperatures as the fan will run to cool the AC radiator and thus cool the water radiator too but still shouldnt drop below 80-85degC

Using the AC during warm weather will give a more constant engine temperature. If your gauge shows 60-70deg then I'm certain its the thermostat and not the gauge - 70deg is still very hot if you put your hand on it

The engine is designed to run at 85degC where I assume you get best combustion, power and fuel efficiency

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
AO Member

I am with Dan on this one, crusing temp of 85-95 is too high, this is not an optimum temperature. The temperature range of 85- 100 should only be seen in hot weather or crawling in trafficn not when crusing
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

There's a lot of debate about this - our 156 TS runs 'cool' according to the temp guage (like yours), and my local indie swears there's nothing wrong with the thermostat.

HOWEVER, some on here are adamant that the needle should stick at 90 all the time and if not the 'stat is stuck open.

If you've recently had it replaced, then best to ask the garage that did the work.

Jon.
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

80-90deg is IMO the correct range for normal driving - both the Alfa's I have have been this temperature, even from new, and my Alfa's in the past have run at this temperature too

The thermostat should open at about 85deg so the engine shouldnt be running much lower than this temperature if the gauge is correct.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV novola

It might be just a broken gauge, which are quite common. You should check the temp readout on AlfaDiag or some other diagnostic tool. If it says 80-90 deg. then it's OK.
AO Member

Member car:

gtv 3.0 v6

hi i have replaced my thermostat recently and i reckon its running at 80 degrees it never gets to 90, some say i could have too much coolant ie too concentrated so i may try to syphon some out and replace with water only....i dont know
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

GTV V6

If it helps, I've just had a new thermostat fitted and the temp sits at around 70/75. Either thats normal, or the gauge is telling fibs
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

My GTV Cup runs at the 90 mark; clambers toward the ton when sat in traffic; driving into a cold headwind she's been down to mid 70's.

My old 2 litre ran at arounnd the 90 mark also, and had to be turned off in traffic.

hi all, in traffic round town my needle sits at around 85 90. however when on the motorway or constant not stop start it drops down to the 60 ish mark.. its a spider 2ltr jts with 89 on clock.. seems to run ok to me but alfa`s are a new breed for me, is my th/stat knackered? lookin through paprework that came with car the rad an therm were changed in 2006.

Last edited by mr impulsive; 08-07-08 at 22:55.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr impulsive View Post
hi all, in traffic round town my needle sits at around 85 90. however when on the motorway or constant not stop start it drops down to the 60 ish mark.. its a spider 2ltr jts with 89 on clock.. seems to run ok to me but alfa`s are a new breed for me, is my th/stat knackered? lookin through paprework that came with car the rad an therm were changed in 2006.
Your thermostat is knackered, No question about it, that is the classic symptom.

Alfa thermostats are not very reliable, to say the least.

ok cheers, theres a good start lol.
not gonna be able to sort it itll next week, will it cause any probs leaving it a few more days??
AO Member

Member car:

Kit cars

Whilst it doesn't cause problems, the engine is designed to run at around 80-90 degrees, so it won't be quite running at it's factory determined optimum. Cooler is better for power, worse for fuel as the hotter it runs (to a point) the more efficient it is. Also, if it runs too cool, the oil may not be getting up to temp which can shorten it's life a bit.

well thanks forr the replys all, took car back to garage i got it from, told em symptoms.. they said they would have a look- confirmed what we thought an said if i had half an hour they would change it.. when they looked they didnt have one in stock, ordered one an it turned up 40 mins later. fitted that an voilla its ok now, old one had stuck slightly open.. total time there 1hr 45 mins, and they apologised for the inconvenience to me hows that for service
Spacecadet

With a brand new thermostat, my GTV sits at an indicated 75-80 degrees. It then climbs to about 95 ish before the fans cut in. The rad is stuffed though!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , temperature

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page