156 engine cutting out totally while driving - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 21-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk
156 engine cutting out totally while driving

I'm driving along doing nothing daft when the engine cuts out altogether, everything else unaffected. As its an 'S' reg 156 2.0TS it only shows the three red warning lights. The difference compared to most of the posts on the forum is there was no warning and it started fine after a couple of minutes and hasn't been a problem until 6 weeks later when the same thing happened. Its been checked after the first time and no error codes were recorded. The lamda sensor was changed cos it was slightly out but given the new failure, it presumably wasn't that.

The battery thread is good advice but I can't see it being the cause of such and intermittent failure.

What I would be interested in is what of the many fixes proposed on the forum actually sorted the problem for you, in the long term.

"Alfasud 1200 Ti - the pink sieve."
"Alfasud 1.3, - Jaguar beater."
"Alfasud 1.5SC - on the roof."
"Alfa 156 2.0TS 1998 gone to Lithuania . . . "
"Alfa 156 1.8TS 2001 gone but not forgotten."
"Alfa 147 1.9JTDm Sport 2007 now sold"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Re: 156 engine cutting out totally while driving

Had a cutting out problem when i first got mine, it would drive fine with no missfire or anything and then dead, speed made no difference neither did engine temp. When it died i had to turn ignition of and back on to restart(would not even bump start without), very dodgy in outside lane at 80. No warning lights or fault codes, hours on alfa diagnostics then they took a best guess, throttlebody. As luck would have it they were right and its not been a problem since.
AO Member

Member car:

GT Q2 & 156 SP2

99% guarentee its the crank sensor. Easy DIY remove - refit. Its located just below the starter motor, with one bolt to remove.

When they are hot they give false readings hence the ECU shutdown (thinks the engine is not turning so does not power the injectors). Then when they cool down all is fine. More than likely its just starting to fail.

Get it replaced ASAP.

New one it under £20 from a dealer.
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 21-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well they looked at the throttle body and tried to get it to fail but reckoned it was fine - so I don't know.

Losing power steering and servo assist on the brakes while driving at speed is not a receipe for a long and happy life . . .you know what I mean!!

They also said if it was the crank sensor it would fail several times a week and also would be difficult/impossible to hot start? I'm not sure of the construction of the crank sensor - can they fail occasionally or do they just go?

BTW does the crank sensor require any electronic set up once you've fitted it?

why do we love alfas
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 21-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yeah its only the 4th one I've had and they get more German every time

This one's almost reliable . . . mind you when I said goodbye to number 3 it was on its roof (and nothing leaked out - amazing!!) but I guess that one was down to me
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I agree with crank sensor on this one. The heat cycling that it is subjected to gradually breaks down he windings.

They quite often cause problems when the engine is hot, but can instead cause problems with cold starting, as I found out.
kevjtd

my old jtd had the same problem, although it would take around 15 mins before it could be restarted, that was the crank position sensor also didn't get into any pattern of when it was going to happen, after the first time it took around 6 weeks to do again, then 2 more weeks, then after a few days, then another week or so, such a cheap/easy fit item its worth changing anyway. just bolt a new one in, no setting up required at all, just plug in and keep your fingers crossed oh, and stay out of the fast lane for a few weeks til your sure

AO Member

Member car:

GT Q2 & 156 SP2

Takes 15 mins to change like I said, and you don't need an examiner to hook it up or calibrate it. Plug and play, should solve all your worries
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I have a new one to go on mine, even though the one that is on there appears ok. As the original has done 90,000 miles I think it may be worth changing as a matter of course, for what it costs and the effort involved.

It looks like a car on the ramps job though and get at it from underneath. On my 145 QV I managed to change it from the top, but there is less room on the 156.
AO Member

Member car:

GT Q2 & 156 SP2

Yeah you have to get it from underneigh on the 1.8TS. As long as you have some ramps you'll be fine.

Its located just below the starter motor, around the flywheel area.
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 22-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok Andy/Kev, you've convinced me.

After 140K I suppose I could treat her to a new one and I haven't been underneath this week yet so I'm getting withdrawal symptoms . . .

Checked the battery last night and voltages seem fine (I know the draw down is more important but I'm not getting any other symptoms). Also looked at some of the connections suggested by my local Inde; some were fairly corroded and got cleaned up.

Trying to see if I can make it last to 200K

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , cutting , driving , engine , totally

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page