Which 156 engine is most reliable? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 18-11-07 Thread Starter

Which 156 engine is most reliable?

Hi there

I'm thinking of buying a 156 but have been a little put off by some messages on the Forum which talk about cars needing new engines.

Which is the best 156 petrol engine for overall reliability?

Are there any particular engines to avoid?

cheers
Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mikebrown

Re: Which 156 engine is most reliable?

if correctly looked after Phil they are all very reliable beasts....regular servicing and belt changes are a must....

mike

marlon

they generally will all be fine as long as the maintenance is done. Checking the oil, doing the belts at no more than 36K miles etc.

Saying that, my car is dead at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the sensors (maybe crank position sensor) which could go on any any engine, not just Alfa engines.

Darren156

Phil, in my opinion I would say the 2.5 V6 with manual transmission, apparently the TS engines are a bit temperamental, especially when you throw a Selespeed into the mix!

So yeah, I highly rate (Having owned one!) the 2.5 V6 petrol engine.

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

All of the engines are reliable is looked after correctly, but the V6 is slightly more tolerant of neglect than the TS.

As for the Selepeed, it seems more of a case of when and not if it goes wrong. (Others will kill me for saying this).

I personally would stick with a manual, I prefer the driving experience as well.

I like the 2.0 Twin Spark 16v in my 156. As Symonh2000 says, the manual is the one to have, it's a really nice gearbox and lets you work the power band to good effect.

The other plus is it's easier to work around than the V6 and less expensive to fix/replace if it does go bang.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

V6 manual.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159sw 2.4 ti!

how about the differences between the TS and the JTS engines? and the diesel variants?
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

JTS (Jet Thrust Stoichiometric) is just TwinSpark with 1 sparkplug per cylinder and direct injection. more power and torque than the TS equivalent. in 2002 TS was replaced by JTS. the 2.2JTS is a GM block but i think the others were all adapted form the TS versions.

the diesel JTD engines are great, virtually bullet proof and well respected in industry.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Either the diesels or the V6.

The twinny's are great, but you need to look after them
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

As for the Selepeed, it seems more of a case of when and not if it goes wrong. (Others will kill me for saying this).
unquote

check 6 if you step out of your house/car you're on the selehitlist
EddieGTA

Yep stick to manual, on the twinny check the oil regularly as they can use 1L/1000km which is normal, change the timing belt at 3 years (not 5) and you should have an engine as reliable as any other brand.

The V6 has much more character though and has a wonderful soundtrack, and less prone to belt failure.

On any 156 though suspension bushes seem to be made of dog poo or something similarly cr4p.

I am on my 3rd alfa and looked after them all, and as a result (touchwood) have had pretty trouble free motoring.

Just to reiterate from previous posts, maintenance is the key. My 2.0L TS is just short of 108k miles and hasn’t let me down at all. A pal has the 2.4 diesel and tows his caravan, that lump is also 100k + miles and has also been trouble free.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrix View Post
Just to reiterate from previous posts, maintenance is the key. My 2.0L TS is just short of 108k miles and hasnít let me down at all. A pal has the 2.4 diesel and tows his caravan, that lump is also 100k + miles and has also been trouble free.
Maintenence is the key but its difficult to know how well a car has been maintained before you buy it. How do you know its not just had a cheap rebuild from ca cambelt failure and is likely to suffer from 'bottom end knock' within a few thousand miles?

My advice to you would be to buy one from the forum if you can, that way at least you can check the history from the users posts.

Hi Pipster. I'm new on the forum but have owned Alfas for 18yrs including the 1.8Twin for 8yrs from first intro in UK and now the JTD in Wagon form.
My experience (and family) is all are reliable. Diesels as usual burn oil but big cost saving for average-long-journeymen and with plenty of punch.
Just a shame that the sound of the boxer engines have all but disappeared, my old 75 was a beaut!
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Maintenence is the key but its difficult to know how well a car has been maintained before you buy it. How do you know its not just had a cheap rebuild from ca cambelt failure and is likely to suffer from 'bottom end knock' within a few thousand miles?

My advice to you would be to buy one from the forum if you can, that way at least you can check the history from the users posts.
Still selling yours hehe!
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie1963 View Post
Just a shame that the sound of the boxer engines have all but disappeared, my old 75 was a beaut!
75 didn't have a boxer engine It was an 8V Tspark engine with chain driven cams .. I had one as well. Over 110,000 miles and never broke down. Replaced a few bits, but overall she ran and ran. Had to sell her when I got a job that meant 100 miles a day to and from work .... wish I hadn't now but needed the cash ... Limited Edition model as well .....
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire

Not mine!
AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

156 2.4jtdm

Hi, Phil. My 1.8 TS is up to 216,000 miles now. The only thing that ever stopped it was a £28 crank sensor at around 140,000. I've replaced the cam belt, tensioners, idlers and pump every 3yrs; next time I will have to replace the crankshaft c-belt pulley also as the teeth are badly rounded off!

Andy

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , engine , reliable

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page