Oh dear, got a petrol engine - i filled up with deisal!!! help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Danthehorse

Oh dear, got a petrol engine - i filled up with deisal!!! help!

hi,

Right i know im a plank, i filled up with diesel, was in a rush, all i saw were the same colours and Esso 'supreme unleaded' didnt clock the tiny 'diesel' bit underneath. and i drove around with it until nearly empty.................

so, what could be the potential damage to the engine and what should i do..... ive probably killed my bellla

Dan

Last edited by Danthehorse; 17-11-07 at 12:47. Reason: cant spell for toffees

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Armagh

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Re: Oh dear, got a petrol engine - i filled up with deisal!!! help!

have you started the car since filling it with DIESEL??
Danthehorse

ok i cant spell ....

yep its got a tank of PETROL now......ive been usingit for a week like that, only noticed when i drove in to fill up again......

You mean you drove through a whole tank of diesel without noticing something was wrong?! Are you sure it was diesel?!
Danthehorse

Idea Re: Oh dear, got a petrol engine - i filled up with deisal!!! help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyk View Post
You mean you drove through a whole tank of diesel without noticing something was wrong?! Are you sure it was diesel?!
it must have been a i went to the same pump as i used a week before, and went completely white........

i noticed no difference in driving the car though...

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Sounds like you can run on multi-fuel then.: Not sure about Alfas, but did the same on her Mondeo a few years back.: The diesel was drained. then the car ran no different. Alfas, could be fussier than the Dagenham boxes I suppose?:
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Generally I don't think its that bad (certainly not as bad as the other way round.)

System flush is probably advisable and get the plugs checked out, the cat as well. But the amount it should have been smoking I can't believe you or someone else wouldn't have noticed something.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

What Chris said I guess? Diesel is a pretty good 'washing agent' in the paraffin group? Chemists will be at me now!!
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Lol, I'm not sure about the actual chemistry (I only did physics at a-level) but they do add a boat load of lubricants to modern diesel mixes, and to a certain extent diesel is a better lubricator (thats why the other way round is very bad - petrol in the diesel engine can dry out a lot of components in a couple of mins! Seize the engine driven fuel pump = good bye engine.)

But the lubricants are why the plugs and, actually, injectors as well should be checked as they can clog. The plugs also because the diesel won't burn that efficiently (needs higher compression that a petrol engine provides) further clogging them and subsequently the cat.

(Someone please correct anything I'm saying wrong, I'm most definitely not an expert!)
Danthehorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnolan View Post
Lol, I'm not sure about the actual chemistry (I only did physics at a-level) but they do add a boat load of lubricants to modern diesel mixes, and to a certain extent diesel is a better lubricator (thats why the other way round is very bad - petrol in the diesel engine can dry out a lot of components in a couple of mins! Seize the engine driven fuel pump = good bye engine.)

But the lubricants are why the plugs and, actually, injectors as well should be checked as they can clog. The plugs also because the diesel won't burn that efficiently (needs higher compression that a petrol engine provides) further clogging them and subsequently the cat.

(Someone please correct anything I'm saying wrong, I'm most definitely not an expert!)
ok thanks guys, guess a spark plug change on the cards, thats a relief

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danthehorse View Post
i noticed no difference in driving the car though...
Then it was petrol mate, for sure. Diesel just would not ignite in your engine, it would cough, splutter and when the last of the remaining petrol was done that'd be it.

If indeed the pump says diesel then its mislabelled.
Danthehorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Then it was petrol mate, for sure. Diesel just would not ignite in your engine, it would cough, splutter and when the last of the remaining petrol was done that'd be it.

If indeed the pump says diesel then its mislabelled.
thanks Pud

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I went to fill up with fuel when I was tired and accidently picked up the Diesel pump, but the nozzle is bigger and wouldn't fit into the petrol cars hole.

I thought this was always the case?

Simon
alfafamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
I went to fill up with fuel when I was tired and accidently picked up the Diesel pump, but the nozzle is bigger and wouldn't fit into the petrol cars hole.

Simon
Thats true Simon, leaded petrol cars have a small filler,diesel pump nozzles wont fit. Its not unknown for filling staions to change the pumps from one fuel to the other.
Diesel in a petrol car smokes like the space shuttle so I reckon there was never a mix up, they may have switched the pump.

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

I agree with what the others have said, if you'd filled up with diesel you would definitely know about it.
Danthehorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafamily View Post
Thats true Simon, leaded petrol cars have a small filler,diesel pump nozzles wont fit. Its not unknown for filling staions to change the pumps from one fuel to the other.
Diesel in a petrol car smokes like the space shuttle so I reckon there was never a mix up, they may have switched the pump.
Blimey, well from what you all say i got off light there, there was no smoking or anything..... pheeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeee!!

kevjtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post

Simon
good point simon, the diesel filler nozzle is the same size as the old 4 star ones. the unleaded ones are much smaller and you just wouldn't be able to get it in (so to speak ) the unleaded ones were originally smaller to prevent you putting 4 star into a car that needed unleaded (to save bu**ering the cat ) long before there were enough diesel cars around to make that an issue.

can anyone come up with a reasonable argument AGAINST the manufacturers doing the simple thing of say a square hole for derv and a round hole for petrol surely that's just too easy how much does it cost everyone to get replacement engine etc the minimal design change is peanuts for such an idiot proof way to do it

kevjtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danthehorse View Post
Blimey, well from what you all say i got off light there, there was no smoking or anything..... pheeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeee!!

moral of the story mate be careful consider it a warning to yourself

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Moral of the story is diesel is compression ignition and petrol is spark ignition. The two work completely differently and if you had filled up with diesel you wouldn't have got more than a few yards down the road, end of story.

As an aside, diesel in a petrol is pretty fatal, but petrol in a diesel is not. A diesel could run on a mixture of petrol and diesel - if your tank was half full for example and you topped it up with petrol it'd still run, allbeit badly.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Moral of the story is diesel is compression ignition and petrol is spark ignition. The two work completely differently and if you had filled up with diesel you wouldn't have got more than a few yards down the road, end of story.

As an aside, diesel in a petrol is pretty fatal, but petrol in a diesel is not. A diesel could run on a mixture of petrol and diesel - if your tank was half full for example and you topped it up with petrol it'd still run, allbeit badly.
Quite right, an old trick used in Russia is to dilute the diesel with petrol in cold weather to prevent waxing of the fuel.

Stuck £40 of petrol in a brand new Mondeo ST about a year ago! Got 3 miles down the road before it died
Danthehorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
Stuck 40 of petrol in a brand new Mondeo ST about a year ago! Got 3 miles down the road before it died
oh no!! we can all do it, goddam them to hades! stupid diesel with its oily residue biker killing properties.......

AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

craziest story I heared in years !! now way a petrol engine will start with diesel... NO WAY !!! so it must have been petrol... all along !! wake up !!!!
Danthehorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear View Post
craziest story I heared in years !! now way a petrol engine will start with diesel... NO WAY !!! so it must have been petrol... all along !! wake up !!!!
ok mr perfect, if you spotted the Diesel label underneath wouldnt you have worried....

as usual this site is full of ignorant t*ats

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Guys, cool it!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
dear , deisal , engine , filled , petrol

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page