snapped timing belt update - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 16-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Fife

Member car:

Brera sv 2.4

snapped timing belt update

To recap my previous post.
My 1.9 jtd's belt snapped it's belt at 51000 miles,the car had a full alfa service history,bought from an alfa franchise.
After a few calls to independent experts to make sure i knew what i was talking about i decided to claim against alfa for the cost of the repair,no valves are damaged as the 16v has destructable rockers,which is £750.I called the office of fair trading and was put onto a department called Consumer Direct,they gave me valuable advice on how to go about the claim.
After a few calls betwen alfa and the dealer i bought the car from(caledonia motors preston)it was decided to take the car to my nearest franchise which is western alfa in perth to see why the belt snapped.
At first alfa customer care knocked back my claim saying the failure was due to the waterpump siezing which is fair wear and tear,to which i replied"on this car the timing belt change is 72000 miles according to you're service intervals,the only time the water pump can be checked is at this time,it was told to me by a alfa mechanic that at this time they advise replacing the waterpump but there's nothing in your service book thay says this must be done,so for you to say to me that this constitutes wear and tear is ridiculous and i'm prepared to go to the office of fair trading on this matter".
The customer care chap said he would discuss it with his boss and get back to me.
I then called Caledonia motors and told the thal alfa had refused the claim and i had no choice but to pursue then for the cost of repair .Apparently in ther sale of goods act the car must be built for purpose,expected to last a reasonable amount of time and as i only had the car 3 months i didn't think this was so,also as i hadn't had the car for 6 months there is a burden of proof which says the dealer must prove(in this case)that the waterpump wasn't in the process of siezing when i bought the car and that i was prepared to go to the OFT if they weren't prepared to help.I then get a call from alfa customer care saying they will pay 50 o/o of the cost.
To caledonia's credit they agreed to pay for the whole repair and pursue alfa for it(so thanks there are due) so when i told alfa were paying half they were happy to.So happy days.
So to anyone out there who has the same kind of problem as i did argue your side and dont let them away with it,get expert advice and stand your ground they rely on people thinking ah well thats it then when they say no.
Again full credit to caledonia as i dont personally believe it's their fault i think its a fault with the car its self.
Regards
Shug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

Saab 9-5 2.3t SE

Re: snapped timing belt update

Excellent news shug.

That's exactly how I would have proceeded too!
AO Gold Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shug View Post
To recap my previous post.
My 1.9 jtd's belt snapped it's belt at 51000 miles

Apparently in ther sale of goods act the car must bexxxx built xxxx for purpose,expected to last a reasonable amount of time and as i only had the car 3 months i didn't think this was so,also as i hadn't had the car for 6 months there is a burden of proof which says the dealer must prove(in this case)that the waterpump wasn't in the process of siezing when i bought the car and that i was prepared to go to the OFT if they weren't prepared to help.

I then get a call from alfa customer care saying they will pay 50 o/o of the cost.
To caledonia's credit they agreed to pay for the whole repair and pursue alfa for it(so thanks there are due) so when i told alfa were paying half they were happy to.So happy days.
So to anyone out there who has the same kind of problem as i did argue your side and dont let them away with it,get expert advice and stand your ground they rely on people thinking ah well thats it then when they say no.

Again full credit to caledonia as i dont personally believe it's their fault i think its a fault with the car its self.
Regards
Shug
Excellent shug...Brilliant.

When my belt snapped I did like you.

I believe the wording is fit for purpose.

I had trading standards...Chocolate ashtray and a

Prestigious Glasgow Law Firm on to it BUT unlike a reputable dealer like Caledonia I bought mines through a Shark (No integrity and a stranger to the truth) in bradford...Like a scottish trader Promised everything BUT delivered nothing.

I hope you play fair ...Take the whole amount from Caledonia and if/when Alfa cough up their share you reimburse Caledonia.

Top marks Caledonia (As shug says NOT your fault but your sense of fair play is nothing but what a responsible dealer should be. ......Alfa bottom of the class( You should have did what Caledonia have done).

I think you may now see a reduction in the timing interval for the deisel timing belt service interval.

P me

Shug,

An interesting post. See my recent threads on this section of the site if you haven't already.

The cam belt on my wife's Alfa 147 JTD (16 valve Lusso) broke about a week ago, causing the car to break down and extensive damage to valves, rockers etc etc.

Alfa agreed yesteday, via my dealer in Tun Wells, Kent, due to the car only having covered 38,000 miles, to pay the fiull cost of repairs, which I reckon will be around £1800. The Customer Services Department at AR told me yesterday by phone that failures on diesel-engined 147 cam belts are "thankfully still a rare occurrence".

I love the car (I think Alfas are great, generally), but am surprised, to say the least, that the cam belt and water pump (which had apparently "melted", in the technician's words) are prone to failure with such a realtively low mileage on the clock, and it seems odd that there was no warning sign of any kind! I also run a Focus ST, and, while it may not have the Alfa's visual style, it is (touchwood!) extremely reliable and great to drive.

Jonathan (Baillie)
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 18-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Fife

Member car:

Brera sv 2.4

Thanks for the reply guys.
Pomeo,my car is currently in western alfa romeo in perth,so alfa will deal with them direct and caledonia are dealing direct to,so all i have to do is sit back and wait for a call to say my car is ready.
Anyone got any views on the aftermarket warranties as after reading some posts on the subject it seems that a crankshaft bearing failure might happen in the future.I have looked at some and they are in the region of £200 to £360 i also say that the aa(which i'm a member of )are doing a breakdown thing which is an extra £65 a year and covers £500 worth of damage up to 5 times a year,seems a good deal,what do you guys think.
As a matter of interest does anyone know how much would a bottom end rebuild be anyway.
P.s.
I was at hampden yesterday all i can say is heartbreak in the traditional scottish manner,there was grown men on their knees crying ,i was nearly one of them.
Cheers
Shug
AO Gold Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shug View Post
Thanks for the reply guys.
Pomeo,my car is currently in western alfa romeo in perth,so alfa will deal with them direct and caledonia are dealing direct to,so all i have to do is sit back and wait for a call to say my car is ready.
Anyone got any views on the aftermarket warranties as after reading some posts on the subject it seems that a crankshaft bearing failure might happen in the future.I have looked at some and they are in the region of £200 to £360 i also say that the aa(which i'm a member of )are doing a breakdown thing which is an extra £65 a year and covers £500 worth of damage up to 5 times a year,seems a good deal,what do you guys think.
As a matter of interest does anyone know how much would a bottom end rebuild be anyway.
P.s.
I was at hampden yesterday all i can say is heartbreak in the traditional scottish manner,there was grown men on their knees crying ,i was nearly one of them.
Cheers
Shug
Once again excellent.
Dont know much about the aftermarket warranties..Perhaps someone who has proof of the pudding will let you know.

Heartbreak??? Not really shug...We are expert losers...Remember Argentina and all the others ,it's what we do best BUT yes the team can hold their heads high.

What broke my heart this week was seeing the families of [email protected]@@@@@@@ tobin's victims.The sad thing is that there is just no justice in this world.

Summary justice would have been served if they had used him as the football and let our boys and the italian lads give it laldy for 90 minsand save the expense of a trial."Can't break a broken window" Wait until he is getting released and then do him and keep him in.

However your result has led me to give it 1 more try in my timing belt failure before the 3 years is up....You quoted my favourite ""the old reverse burden of proof (I like it)""" brilliant if only they had given it a run. That was my red rag again...Thanks pal.
As I say ""proof of the pudding""and nothing to lose....1 of these legal protection schemes...sometime good not always..

Got a laugh at the garage on Saturday buying my paper,I said "What a day to be driving an Italian car" the girl paused looked out and laughed and then said with a puzzled look on her face (Oh I hate this one) "Why is your number plate in the middle ,should it now be at the side?"Now thinking of mounting it on the side and paint a big V on her.

P me

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , snapped , timing , update

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page