Got all i need now and cams ready to be sent - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 9Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 04-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire
Got all i need now and cams ready to be sent

After having a chat with a few people and Newmans being a complete waste of time Piper are doing my cams Re-profile ( 260 260 ).

Ive got all the tools and got another Cam Kit for good measures

But taken longer then i thought to get it all ready (removing engine again) as ive had flu yet again and had an slight but painful accident which has made it hard to use both hands .

soon as i get the cams back and arm is healed i will start putting back together for the last time fingers crossed

here is pic of my poorly arm it hurt more then it looks

plus Timing wheel to print if anyone needs

Also just to add when ive got cams back and all is ok i will be selling all my spare cam sets incase others want to reprofile without having to have car in bits for ages. I guess 60 inc delivery should be fair (all 4)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1789.jpg (104.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1787.jpg (70.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg degreewheel4.jpg (68.4 KB, 14 views)

All spares parts for 156 and 147 being sold that i will not be using (cheap) nothing too small ask what you want , willing to post world wide Phone 07922123242 Ask for Neil and say Mark said to phone .

Download link for Alfa 156's http://www.filedropper.com/alfaelearn

Last edited by mirlock; 04-03-16 at 16:22.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirlock View Post
After having a chat with a few people and Newmans being a complete waste of time Piper are doing my cams Re-profile ( 260 260 ).

Ive got all the tools and got another Cam Kit for good measures

But taken longer then i thought to get it all ready (removing engine again) as ive had flu yet again and had an slight but painful accident which has made it hard to use both hands .

soon as i get the cams back and arm is healed i will start putting back together for the last time fingers crossed

here is pic of my poorly arm it hurt more then it looks

plus Timing wheel to print if anyone needs

Also just to add when ive got cams back and all is ok i will be selling all my spare cam sets incase others want to reprofile without having to have car in bits for ages. I guess 60 inc delivery should be fair (all 4)

Did you try Jim K
(Post Link) post #3 of 27 Old 06-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I didnt but only because i have a certain budget and i read through all the cam threads and saw the prices.

Newmans quoted 300+ vat + postage ( but have not replied to any email since )
Piper i have got down to 380 Inc vat and post.

As for profiles after speaking to catcams and another i cant remember the name about 260 260 profile they said its about middle of the road and if i go much more harsh profile i will get emission & idle problems.

And i really dont want mot emissions problems , but i have asked 1 more question before i finalise it all and send them off and that about the old piper profile with inlet 272 / Ex 268 / inlet lift 10.16 / ex lift 9.53

This profile looks ok to me with the exhaust being a better size to help the turbo spools etc.

Fingers crossed i will get a reply tomorrow although i wont hold my breath waiting for Newman's but we will see as ive face booked them as well .

But if all goes **** up and i dont get the answers i want i will still be happy with standard cams and Vernier pulleys. i guess sometimes you just have to be happy with what you have got
maxiboy wales likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 27 Old 08-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Yay i finally for a reply from Newmans who have agreed to re-profile my cams.
Im happy again. Just need to confirm their address as they seem to have a few listed, Then send wife to post office. Things are moving forward again.

After this is done i will only have 1 more big expense which will take a lot of saving for, the dreaded rolling road remap . But that can wait until i have finished everything else but at least i have got everything i need as ive been buying it slowly over the past 2 years

I will keep you informed
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6

Interesting...I've thought several times about the possibility of having my cams reground. Did you try the likes of AHM too?
Anyway, I shall keep an eye on this thread I'm interested to see the results.
(Post Link) post #6 of 27 Old 08-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydnW View Post
Interesting...I've thought several times about the possibility of having my cams reground. Did you try the likes of AHM too?
Anyway, I shall keep an eye on this thread I'm interested to see the results.

Ive looked at all the places who profile cams,which are much the same besides the price.

all are near 500 besides Newmans who have said they will do them for 300 +vat
(Post Link) post #7 of 27 Old 17-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Edit..

I got a reply today they are doing my cams next week , Cant wait to get stuck in , i just hope the weather starts to cheer up as i cant close the garage door and my body hates the cold

Last edited by mirlock; 17-03-16 at 21:40.
(Post Link) post #8 of 27 Old 01-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Starting to lose faith in Newmans, Another week goes by and not a word from them.
I have sent them another message to see if there is any news this week,But to be honest im not a rich person and new cams is a big thing for me and im starting to feel so let down by the lack of newmans support (meaning no support) that i feel like throwing the towel in and just run with out new cams and put the money else where.

But lets see if they reply to my message and take it from there
(Post Link) post #9 of 27 Old 06-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

As an update YAY they are done and will be with me tomorrow.

264 Fast Road profile, total price 378 inc vat and postage back to me and i think that is a great price

Me Happy Now
AussieAlex and maxiboy wales like this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

was this re-profile done on 3.0 litre or 3.2 cams out of interest

glad you got it sorted
(Post Link) post #11 of 27 Old 07-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiboy wales View Post
was this re-profile done on 3.0 litre or 3.2 cams out of interest

glad you got it sorted
Hi Maxi

It was done on 3.0 cams
(Post Link) post #12 of 27 Old 07-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Post man has been ,I am a happy boy it arrived very nicely packed each cam in its own box with some stickers

Final spec was listed as Duration = 260/260 , lift = Inlet 9.95 / Exhaust 9.39 . Timing 20-60 / 60-20 , Full Lift 110/110

But seems i have a different spec which i will update on after a listed question being answered

All i can say is ive looked about for cams for a while and being patient i think ive got the best deal possible by over 100

378 Total Cost so a big Thank You to Newman Cams.

I will post some pics on my final build thread which im starting as ive re-started this build all over, which includes Launch control / Gear Change Led / Boost control for retro fit turbos and a heap load more

I have 3 spare sets of cams which before i stick them on fleebay i will offer them to forums members cheap if they want to maybe sell gta cams and have this done or just have it done without having to have engine in bits for ages .. 60 inc postage Uk or 50 collected for all 4 i think thats fair if not let me know.
I would just give them away but i need a little cash for funding some more parts . (Feels guilty)

Last edited by mirlock; 07-04-16 at 16:59.
(Post Link) post #13 of 27 Old 22-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Just as an update i got my reply at last from Newmans as they didn't give me solid details with the return of my cams accept that they didn't do the profile thought i was getting .

The profile is 264 Duration / Inlet lift 9.95 - Exhaust Lift 9.95 / Timing 110deg - 110deg

ive not seen this profile on any lists besides the larger lift of 10.1 -10.1 duration 300
But i shall post how runs when i slap them in (which will be this week coming)
The wife has said i can go and stay where my car is for a solid 2 weeks at least , so i should get alot done. Yes i know im so under the thumb
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6

Hi mirlock,

Good to hear you got your cams back, and are happy with them. What do you reckon is the maximum inlet profile you can get away with without sacrificing the idle too much? I gather the standard is 9.3 which seems a little tame.
Could you also provide some details about the spare sets of cams you've got? Ie condition, 3.2 or 3.0, etc. I may be interested in taking a set off your hands... Thanks.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

Quote:
Hi mirlock,

Good to hear you got your cams back, and are happy with them. What do you reckon is the maximum inlet profile you can get away with without sacrificing the idle too much? I gather the standard is 9.3 which seems a little tame.
Could you also provide some details about the spare sets of cams you've got? Ie condition, 3.2 or 3.0, etc. I may be interested in taking a set off your hands... Thanks.
good thread on cams on the gta forum..Jim K group camshaft buy. there is two other options... 10mm on 3.0L blanks or 10.4mm on 3.2L blanks..

this is about as wild as you can go.. the standard lifters cope with and the standard springs without going for a solid lifters set up.. which is a little too far for a road car
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6

Quote:
good thread on cams on the gta forum..Jim K group camshaft buy. there is two other options... 10mm on 3.0L blanks or 10.4mm on 3.2L blanks..

this is about as wild as you can go.. the standard lifters cope with and the standard springs without going for a solid lifters set up.. which is a little too far for a road car
Thanks for that, I'll take a look at some point. I'm familiar with Jim K's work, currently reading through his book again. He sure knows his stuff...

I think 10mm would be about as high as I'd be willing to go, but I need to do some more research on profiles to determine what will best suit what I'm after. Certainly, the original 9.3mm profile is far less than I feel the engine can safely handle.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

Quote:
Thanks for that, I'll take a look at some point. I'm familiar with Jim K's work, currently reading through his book again. He sure knows his stuff...

I think 10mm would be about as high as I'd be willing to go, but I need to do some more research on profiles to determine what will best suit what I'm after. Certainly, the original 9.3mm profile is far less than I feel the engine can safely handle.
would agree and the area under the curve way to small. new profiles aren't in the book nor much of his latest work on the 24v. but im keeping up with as many developments as i can on another forum so i can incorporate then in to my new build
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6

Quote:
would agree and the area under the curve way to small. new profiles aren't in the book nor much of his latest work on the 24v. but im keeping up with as many developments as i can on another forum so i can incorporate then in to my new build
Interesting, thanks. I guess I'll have to keep up my research then, no sense spending money without considering all the options.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

Quote:
Interesting, thanks. I guess I'll have to keep up my research then, no sense spending money without considering all the options.
ALFAGTV6.COM ? View topic - Jim K. 3.2 engine
(Post Link) post #20 of 27 Old 06-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Hi mirlock,

Hi

Sorry for late reply i didnt relies there was replies.

Seems maxi has answered your questions what he said is A1 .
As for idle the duration effects it more then anything and the duration where its as stable as stock is about 260-270 but the people who have had 300 duration 10mm lift seems very happy with the results. i just didnt go that much with mine as ive got enough going on with my engine so no need for more then i got with the cams.

As for the cams ive got 2 sets left 1 from a low mileage 3.0 with all lobes still reading 9.3mm lift If interested just send me a message

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Wonder if they would regrind a set of TS cams for less cash given there's only two...
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirlock View Post
Hi

Sorry for late reply i didnt relies there was replies.

Seems maxi has answered your questions what he said is A1 .
As for idle the duration effects it more then anything and the duration where its as stable as stock is about 260-270 but the people who have had 300 duration 10mm lift seems very happy with the results. i just didnt go that much with mine as ive got enough going on with my engine so no need for more then i got with the cams.

As for the cams ive got 2 sets left 1 from a low mileage 3.0 with all lobes still reading 9.3mm lift If interested just send me a message

No problem! That's good to know, thanks. I'll have a think and get back to you.
(Post Link) post #23 of 27 Old 07-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
Wonder if they would regrind a set of TS cams for less cash given there's only two...

I asked them last year about re-grinding 2 cams so it was close to a gta set up and they quoted 150 + VAT + Shipping
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Link me up. Got a spare set of ts camshafts doing nothing currently...

that is incredibly cheap though.
(Post Link) post #25 of 27 Old 09-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
Link me up. Got a spare set of ts camshafts doing nothing currently...

that is incredibly cheap though.

Here is there web page it's best to contact them via facebook if you have it or give them a call.
Just mention that you read about it on here via Mark's Alfa Build and ive put the price on what they charge so they don't try and over charge you

Web SiteNewman Cams - Performance Camshafts

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NewmanCams/

Good luck fella

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cams , ready

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page