changing engine mounts on S3 spider - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 14-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

1987 2.0 spider

changing engine mounts on S3 spider

Hi folks,
my engine rocks a little on tick over and I've looked at the engine mounts and they look a bit perished. has anyone changed these with the engine in?? I think I should be able to jack up the engine a bit, slacken the old ones off and replace them one at a time?

anyone have any input??

regards,

Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: North Sealand-
Re: changing engine mounts on S3 spider

That's how I've read it's done.
Check your transmission mount, too.
Good luck - Erik
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Yup. One side at a time. Bit fiddly, espcially with the carbs in place. I think I had to cut down a spanner to get to one of the nuts. They are handed so make sure you get the right one on the right side. The engine still rocks though even with brand new mounts. They tend to "sink" when they've had enough and in extremes you'll start getting daft things like the fan catching the radiator cowl. The engines are also meant to sit at an angle. The sump should be parallel with the ground, but the cam covers will be at an angle - leaning over to the right as you are stood in front of the car.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 19-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

1987 2.0 spider

RicksAlfas,
thanks for the reply. when you say they are handed, is right looking from the bonnet to the rear of the car or would it be looking from behind the steering wheel?

regards,

Lee
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

I think (could be wrong) that it's as you are looking from the front of the car. But there is a notable difference between the two sides and as you can only change one at once it should be easy to match the one that has just come off!!
AO Member

In the automotive industry, left and right on a vehicle is as viewed from the drivers seated position (or as viewed from the rear of the vehicle). Hence, a right hand drive vehicle has the steering wheel on the right side.

The left engine mount has a much longer base than the right side mount and are therefore side specific. Changing the left mount is quite easy as compared to the right.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Thumbs Up Re: changing engine mounts on S3 spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajam View Post
In the automotive industry, left and right on a vehicle is as viewed from the drivers seated position
Thanks papajam! Makes sense!
AO Member

If your car has carbs fitted, you may be slightly better off than if you had injection. Count your knuckles before you start and compare notes with when you finish.....

I recently put my engine back in, so the job for me was perhaps easier, but to get under the carb/injection area to the offside mount is much easier with the radiator out of the way (If it's time to replace the coolant, it's not that much more of a job!).

One last thing: The height of the engine may frighten you, particularly if the bonnet has been removed, as mine had, when the mounts have been replaced. It's only at this point that you realise how good the double curvature of the bonnet is because everything misses as it should!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
changing , engine , mounts , spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page