Engine Bits - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 14-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Engine Bits

Hi Guys,
Quick update on our track day (road legal) ‘sud ti after its thrust washer ‘incident’ at Castle Combe & a question at the end:
The gearbox is with a local guy having 2nd gear sorted out so we have a good box again- syncro & some bearings required…
The 16v bottom end found through the forum (thanks Bodger for this and resizing the photo) is in the engine shop- Padfields in Bristol with a long and expensive list of jobs to hopefully give us a good strong (powerful!)engine.
Summary; Block decked (skimmed) & rebored to suit our oversize pocketed for 8v (but originally for a 16v) pistons, Crank polished, new main, big end & thrust bearings, block chemically cleaned, new core plugs and shiny red paint. Whole bottom end dynamically balanced. Big valve heads stripped, decoked & seatings checked.
Suffice to say that you (we!) don’t want to know how much this is going to cost but putting some different stickers saying ‘padfields engineering’ on the car will hopefully help. But as people have said in other threads it’s not about the money it’s about the enjoyment as well.
Anyway before it all goes back together we need some help to work out where a couple of small bits go – they fell out when we were stripping the crankcase end plates off the engine and it is not over obvious on the engine or the manual where they go.
Before anybody points out the obvious we know we should have noticed where they cane from when we were taking it to bits but they both just appeared on the bench to comments of ‘where did that come from’ as things do (well in my garage anyway).
If anybody can help that would be really good – please see the picture.
One is a small metal Colet approx 11mm in diameter 9mm tall and the other is a sleeved plastic grommet approx 14mm by 12mm and looks to be a (clearly vital) part of the oil system…..
Hopefully the plastic bit will be in the full engine gasket set (anybody want the 16v specific bits?) so it gets replaced but we still need to know where it goes before it all gets nailed together ready for the rolling road and the new season.
By the by we have been recommended Dave at Mech Motorsports in Cheltenham as well by three differnet sources now.
Regards, James & Nick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bits002sml.jpg (26.6 KB, 19 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Re: Engine Bits

Hi James/Nick
these are guesses: could the metal bit be a dowel for either flywheel onto crank, or head onto block, or front / rear casting onto block. As an independent part of the engine (having just had mine spread all over the garage) I cant remember this being an integral part to be fitted anywhere.
The plastic bits look like something they put in the dipstick hole to take a different dipstick. Dont know why they did this. I just know if you put an old dipstick in a newer block its a bit like a p***k in a shirt sleeve. I machined up a small ally spacer to replace the plastic thingy.
Dave is currently doing the final build on my 1400 16V engine. I have used him before , I know people who have had his engines before and I dont know anyone who has been disapointed.
Hope some of this helps
rsfruitbat
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 15-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for that - that makes sence -Nick found something on a parts list that looked similar. We have the later taller 16v dipstick to try and fit as it gets it up past the oil cooler, fuel and vacume hoses.
Think we may try and book a date with Dave at Mech now to give us a date to work too...
Hopefully the engine will be good - decision made to do a 'proper job' now to try and avoid furthur pain (and expense) later.
What power are you looking at from the 1.4 16v? We sold our 16v heads to someone doing the same - I assume its a free cylinder head reg that makes this worth doing?
Regards
James
AO Silver Member

sit down cause this is going to get complex.
The guy who bought the 16V heads of you is my mate who rallies a Sud. His current car has got a Dave Young engine in it.
He sold the car to a bloke who sold it on who then sold it on and then I bought for the Engine. After discussions with Dave I then decided to go down the 16V route so my mate (the original car builder) then bought it back of me . He bought your heads with a view to copying what I am doing if it proves to be any good. If he changes his mind then I will probably buy your heads off him for me as spares .
I told you that was going to get confusing. If you contact him he has had a couple of Daves engines before and he put me in contact with him originally.
My 1600 8V produces about 90 - 100BHP at the wheels . I am hoping for the same out of this 1400.

regards rsfruitbat

Hi, just a quick question...
I'm searching the forum because I want to replace the core plugs on my sud motor. I'ts a rebuild so now is the time to do it.

I notice you just replaced yours.. Can you let me know where you sourced them?

Thanks

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
bits , engine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page