1.6 TS Engine Swap - Advise / recomendation - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 29-02-16 Thread Starter

County: Al Qahirah

Member car:

ALFA 147

1.6 TS Engine Swap - Advise / recomendation

Engine of my 147 2002 TS went off, oil passes to Cylinders, white smoke out of exhaust and i'm about to Swap it.

Need advise about the 2 Engines, the Seller said both have almost similar mileage (50K miles) :
- 1.8 TS, 2001 Make
- 1.6 TS, 2005 Make
Can't tell from outer look which of them is better, The Seller recommends 1.8 but i'm more into the newer 1.6 one, just because it's newer !

Do i need to worry about installing a newer Engine (2005) than my Car's ECU (2002)?
Also is it recommended to install the Engine's gear ; or My GearBox should work for with no noticeable difference.
I'd be thankful for any recommendation for things i need to check for before buying any, since i think it's not possible to test any without real installation.

Thanks

Last edited by Kinetic; 29-02-16 at 20:33. Reason: Correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Oost-Vlaanderen

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
Engine of my 147 2002 TS went off, oil passes to Cylinders, white smoke out of exhaust and i'm about to Swap it.

Need advise about the 2 Engines, the Seller said both have almost similar mileage (50K miles) :
- 1.8 TS, 2001 Make
- 1.6 TS, 2005 Make
Can't tell from outer look which of them is better, The Seller recommends 1.8 but i'm more into the newer 1.6 one, just because it's newer !

Do i need to worry about installing a newer Engine (2005) than my Car's ECU (2002)?
Also is it recommended to install the Engine's gear ; or My GearBox should work for with no noticeable difference.
I'd be thankful for any recommendation for things i need to check for before buying any, since i think it's not possible to test any without real installation.

Thanks
Is the ecu the same for the 2 engines? If not you have to change motor, ecu all locks and keys incluiding start slot device and responder
PS white smoke is probaly a water cooling problem, blue smoke is an oil problem
AO Platinum Member

At least one person has installed the 1.8TS engine into a 1.6TS 147, so it can be done and will take it to 140hp instead of the original 120hp.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ent-guide.html

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
advise , engine , recomendation , swap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page