Spider engine coolant and suspension problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 13-11-07 Thread Starter

Spider engine coolant and suspension problems

Hello all,

I have got a 96 spider and I suspect that it is about to cost me a lot of money. I have only had it for about 6 months and in that time have had to changet the variator as well as all of the oil seals. However the latest problems are, firstly thatm recently I noticed that the engine coolant was very low and that after topping up still seemed to be using it up pretty quickly. Is this likely to be a leaking head gasket?

Also the rear suspensions seems to knock loundly over the many bumps in the wonderful British roads, I have had someone look at it but they said that the shocks were fine, any other posibilites, bushes maybe? Something certianly isn't right.

Also there is a tapping sound coming from the engine sounds like the tappets, I know it isn't the variator, anyhting else it could be?

Cheers

Oh and the exhaust has just gone as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Re: Spider engine coolant and suspension problems

If you are losing oil into the water due to a head gasket, you should see it in the coolant. IIRC the spider has a coolant return into the header tank so the oil will get mixed into the header tank area quite quickly and so be visible. I expect you just happen to have a car which uses quite a bit of oil; some do, some don't, with 1 litre / 1000km not being unheard of.... how much are you using??
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 14-11-07 Thread Starter

Hard to tell as my mileometer recently packed up, just noticed one day that it read all zeroes and now does one mile for roughly every 10 or so! Nonetheless I would say I am not using quite as much as 1 litre to 1000km, maybe a bit more than that. It was the coolant that was slightly more worrying to be honest but that may just be because I haven't checked it for a while. I have since done about 90 miles and it does not seem to have dropped too much.

Any ideas on the suspension problem, oh and the mileometer I suppose?
AO Member

Member car:

'06 Brera 3.2 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjackson View Post
Any ideas on the suspension problem, oh and the mileometer I suppose?
If the suspension problem is the bushes then this is something you really shouldn't hang about fixing. I was at Alfa Aid in Maidenhead last week (clutch slave cylinder) and they had a lovely looking Red GTV sitting outside.

They'd had to tell the owner that the car was effectively a write-off as it'd been left so long that the sub-frame was ruined.

That's not the sort of news that anyone wants to hear - poor bloke.

WillS

Member car:

1997 GTV

Replacing the rear lower swing arms on the back of my 97 GTV got rid of a lot of nasty clonks & rear wheel steering, about £90 each from Alfashop & pretty straightforward to fit.
NB Rear shox were only about £35 each too, really sorted my car.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
coolant , engine , problems , spider , suspension

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page