Auxiliary Belt and Bearing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 12-11-07 Thread Starter

Auxiliary Belt and Bearing

A couple of days ago the Aux belt and bearing disintegrated on my 156 Sportwagen and the engine suddenly died. Anyone know the full extent of what the damage might be.
I thought the Aux belt powered the alternator, power stearing and a couple of other 'non engine' related services. I've got a mechanic coming to look at it this weekend, I'm basically trying to work out if this is likely to ruin my Xmas early with a big bill!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Auxiliary Belt and Bearing

HHi dhsmith, how long did you had with these since you changed them? and how much mileage?
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 12-11-07 Thread Starter

The car is a 2001(Y) with only 40K miles, belts have been on since new.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

If it was only the aux belt then it may not have done any damage ... it only drives the alternator, a/c and power steering ... and normally you would not expect the engine to stall immediately but steering would get extremely heavy and eventually the battery would charge would run low.

But ..............

... if it got jammed in the crankshaft pulley then it could damage the timing belt or jam the crank and that could/would cause internal damage to valves and possibly big-end bearing shells (impact damage).
AO Member

It is possible to affect the timing belt? Isn't the alternator belt protected by a plastic seal or something? It looks like it would be on my 147...
dhsmith you kept the original alternator belt without changing for 7 years...? I heard it needed changing the same time with the cambelt...I am asking as I intend to change my cambelt this month and the alternator belt(with tensioners in both cases) sometime in march...and want to know about possible danger(my alternator belt was change when the cambelt was done in 2005 and 35000km ago)...
Thx Gazza
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsmith View Post
A couple of days ago the Aux belt and bearing disintegrated on my 156 Sportwagen and the engine suddenly died. Anyone know the full extent of what the damage might be.
I thought the Aux belt powered the alternator, power stearing and a couple of other 'non engine' related services. I've got a mechanic coming to look at it this weekend, I'm basically trying to work out if this is likely to ruin my Xmas early with a big bill!

Depending on engine your looking at around £50 worth of parts for a Tensioner and belt from http://www.shop4parts.co.uk/ if its a petrol engine.

There are gaps where a chunk of belt or bearing could have got trapped in with the cam belt but fingers crossed.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

If your car has done 40k on the original cambelt change that pronto as well, it should now be done at 36,000 miles. Anything over that carries a risk of belt or tensioner failure.

The cheapest parts for this I found were at www.buypartsby.com

Simon.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
auxiliary , bearing , belt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page