Cambelt question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 11-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Help Cambelt question

Hi folks, I know this has been talked about around here(already read most of the posts on this theme). I have 147 1.6 120 bhp, and need to do the cambelt+water pump+variator soon. About the belt I found a Gates one (5472XS) and looked into the ePer and saw it matched to part number 71719649 on a few websites so that calmed me down a bit. This can be found on here:
http://www.mtigroup.com.tw/Auto%20Parts/Car%20belts.xls
Please confirm to me if everything will be ok with this belt, I attached pictures(first 2 are with me belt)...
I am asking because on our local club somebody is telling me that the belt for 1.6 TS shoud have a small line on the inside of the tooth(like in picture 3) and this Gates one does not have.He is pretty sure it will go wrong with mine...PLss help me...As I believed that if it is a correct match for the OEM part I shouldn't check for anything else...

And also I pointed out somethin in the the first picture, Is is normal to have that?

Now, I'm not so sure if I should fit this Gates one anymore...

P.S. I'll post some pictures with the tensioners soon...

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my_belt.jpg (84.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg my_belt1.jpg (54.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg so_called_good_one.jpg (52.5 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Allex; 11-11-07 at 06:33.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Swansea
Re: Cambelt question

If it was my 147 i would only use a genuine alfa belt and tensioners. End of story.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Yep same here.

This kind of thing regularly does the rounds on the Ducati forums as well.

I'm as tight as they come but with cam belts i'd only ever use OEM parts.
(Post Link) post #4 of 26 Old 11-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well I read right here on this forum that these Gates belts would be one of the best there is on the market...even better than OEM parts. I hope you can help with my question...Thx!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

I used Contitech belts from bypartsby, they were a lot cheaper than the dayco items from shop4parts, and the tensioners in the kit are exactly the same.

I am pretty sure contitech (contitnental) are ok, they have a very good reputation.

I think the cambelt kit for the 1.6 147 is around 45 + Vat BTW.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

What are mentioned as original parts are often (like belts) made by suppliers other than Alfa Romeo i.e. continental gates etc. so you never know what you gonna get (like Forest Gumps says).
A notorious bad original part for the TS engines (Tensioner) in the late nineties, came from Canada (I dont dare to name the company).
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear View Post
What are mentioned as original parts are often (like belts) made by suppliers other than Alfa Romeo i.e. continental gates etc. so you never know what you gonna get (like Forest Gumps says).
A notorious bad original part for the TS engines (Tensioner) in the late nineties, came from Canada (I dont dare to name the company).

The same canadian company still makes the tensioners, its just the tensioners have been revised twice to help alleviate the problems.

They started off as black plastic which broke up, changed to white plastic which was ok and the latest ones are all metal, which are even better.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
The same canadian company still makes the tensioners, its just the tensioners have been revised twice to help alleviate the problems.

They started off as black plastic which broke up, changed to white plastic which was ok and the latest ones are all metal, which are even better.
you are absolutely right, I now have the all metal one, but why did it take two revisions and a lot of grief for Alfa owners to get to that point ?!
There are now big issues with the Lambda sensors on the JTS engines, this may also take ages till the right measures are taken.
(Post Link) post #9 of 26 Old 11-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

hey rarebear, name the company from Canada pls (on PM if you don't want to do it here), as it says "Made in Canda" on the adjustable tensioner I have and is made from steel and looks pretty solid to me...Thx!

P.S.: I searched Gates on the WEB and from what I saw they make belts for German car makers just like Dayco makes for Alfa Romeo so I'm pretty confident about them (hope more of you share this opinion) (really don't think Dayco and other Alfa partners are the absolute quality), but about the tensioner part I have the fixed one in black plastic(made by INA) (will post a photo soon); I hope you can share an opinion of it, if I should use that or find somethin else...

THanks for the replies so far, waiting for more opinions...

Last edited by Allex; 11-11-07 at 12:00.
(Post Link) post #10 of 26 Old 11-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

I posted 2 pictures for each tensioner, If the "Made in Canada" one looks pretty solid to me I can't say the same for the INA plastic one. Can anyone advise me on what to do? Should or should I not install these?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canada.jpg (82.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg canada1.jpg (87.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg INA2.jpg (74.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg INA1.jpg (95.6 KB, 17 views)
AO Platinum Member

Those tensioners will be fine. The plastic "Fixed" tensioner is normal fit now. Originally these were all metal.

The adjustable tensioner is also correct.
(Post Link) post #12 of 26 Old 11-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Simon, and do you believe is safe to run 40000 km or 2 years with these on? This is the interval in my country...
AO Platinum Member

Well Alfa here now specifies 36,000 miles (60,000km) or 3 year intervals, and the parts are the same as you have there. So you should be ok.
(Post Link) post #14 of 26 Old 11-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Has anybody heard about broken cambelt before 40000 km of use or in less than 2 years on AO?
Thanks for givin me some confidence Simon!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

change he black plastic tensioner asap, use the white plastic or even better the all metal one before you blow up the entire engine distribution. (happened to me some years ago)
(Post Link) post #16 of 26 Old 11-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks Rarebear, I will try, thanks for the info anyway these parts presented here are not yet in my car sa no rush.... I am about to install them that's why I seek advice from the Guru's around here.
Thx for your support!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear View Post
change he black plastic tensioner asap, use the white plastic or even better the all metal one before you blow up the entire engine distribution. (happened to me some years ago)

I take it you mean the moveable tensioner (the one with teeth) here? I know the original ones of these were black plastic and broke up. This should now have metal teeth.

The fixed (Smooth) tensioners are now supplied as plastic items and I have one on my car.

Cambelts have been know to break even before 36,000 miles, but usually this is because of another factor, such as seized water pump or broken (Black) tensioner. Or even just the fact the belt was overtightened.

Simon.
(Post Link) post #18 of 26 Old 12-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

I think Rarebear advises me to also change the fixed black tensioner to a steel on(I also heard there exist on the market) . As for the mobile one mine is in steel, I believe that is more than reliable right? What can a belt do to a steel tensioner, right?
Can anyone tell me who produces fixed steel tensioners so I can look for one?
Thanks!
AO Platinum Member

You could try getting one from alfa. Give mangoletsi a call, they are very useful for spares, however I think you will be lucky to get a fixed metal tensioner now.

Simon.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allex View Post
I am asking because on our local club somebody is telling me that the belt for 1.6 TS shoud have a small line on the inside of the tooth(like in picture 3) and this Gates one does not have.He is pretty sure it will go wrong with mine...
Different manufacturers will have different markings on their belts ... so the fact yours doesn't have one is probably not a problem. But if you are worried, use a genuine Alfa belt like others have stated.
tcm
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 1.6TS

I used a gates kit when mine was replaced and it all works fine.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

The black plastic wheel (without teeth) is not the problem, it was the tensioner wheel (with teeth) . The belts were actually not a problem but when the plastic tensioner blew up the distribution became unglued and the pistons al hammered the valves. a 1000 euro job to fix !
The parts in the picture are excellent , I have the same on my sele !
good luck !!
(Post Link) post #23 of 26 Old 12-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks Rarebear you got me frightened with your last post . My tensioner with teeth is all metal and says"Made in CAnada". Please tell me the name of the company in Canada which at first made them in black plastic.
Also I returned the black plastic INA tensioner and am now looking for a white plastic one..., if i wont find any in white will put one of these as you said it will be ok anyway.
Thx guys!
(Post Link) post #24 of 26 Old 14-11-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

At last I found the fixed tensioner in steel , I attached some pictures, Thnaks for the advice guys...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00071 (Medium).JPG (39.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00072 (Medium).JPG (29.9 KB, 9 views)

Hi guys and girls

found the topic whilst searching but only just found time to put in my reply.

My car is in at the mo having the timing belt changed.

All my bits from Alfa dealer autoworld chesterfield,
belt kit, variator, aux belt and oil filter £200 found platinum plugs & air filter cheaper.

I noted all the bits in the belt kit were stamped made in germany.

Hopefully no probs.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cambelt , question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page