Cleaning inlet manifold without removing it entirely? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 27-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: A Coruna
Idea Cleaning inlet manifold without removing it entirely?

I've been thinking if it could be done by just removing the small screws behind the manifold that hold the two parts together.
So the other half is still on the engine, while you only remove the cover of the manifold.

Most of it should be easy to clean, cleaning each cylinder port will be harder, I thought something like a long spoon may do the job?
I don't really care not leaving it polished and shiny. Removing 95% of the built crap will be more than enough to give it good breathing again.
And it would save a LOT of time!

On the 166 there's a lot of space on the back of the engine, I guess it will be much easier than with the 156.

Has anybody done this before?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Oost-Vlaanderen

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

Dont think it is possible whitout removing the alu inlet manifold part to.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Whatever you do don't try using oven cleaner which will more than likely contain sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) as that will react with the aluminium. Lots of demonstrations on YouTube showing the reaction.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 04-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: A Coruna
Of course, I'm aware of that. I may be ok for cleaning iron castings, like the turbo exhaust part, but not aluminium parts!
I also played with aluminium paper and caustic soda in my childhood, you know, exploding bottles and all of that stuff. So yes I know of they interact .

See this pic:
http://goo.gl/x33oyn

As you can see, the bolts that hold the manifold into its place are not placed on the manifold cover. So in theory you can open it by only removing the small screws?
AO Member

County: Oost-Vlaanderen

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabyd64 View Post
Of course, I'm aware of that. I may be ok for cleaning iron castings, like the turbo exhaust part, but not aluminium parts!
I also played with aluminium paper and caustic soda in my childhood, you know, exploding bottles and all of that stuff. So yes I know of they interact .

See this pic:
http://goo.gl/x33oyn

As you can see, the bolts that hold the manifold into its place are not placed on the manifold cover. So in theory you can open it by only removing the small screws?
Sorry know i see that you are not talking about a TS or JTS.................from JTD i know nothing

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cleaning , inlet , manifold , removing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page