1.9 16v JTDM head bolt query - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 21-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

1.9 16v JTDM head bolt query

Can anyone confirm the size of Ribe bit needed for the cylinder head bolts on the 1.9 16v JTDM diesel? I think M14 but don't want to buy the wrong (expensive) size.

Are the head bolts single-use stretch type, or re-usable? Elearn indicates torque is set by angular displacement, which generally means 'stretch' IME. If I have to buy new ones, any suggested source? I daresay AR will want about £30 each, x10.

Does anyone know the exact procedure for setting torque when tightening them? Elearn is far too terse for me to make head nor tail.

Lastly, can the head be removed with the gigantic high-pressure pump support bracket still attached to it, or does the bracket have to come off separately before the head is free?

Thanks in advance!

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Try alfashop for the head bolts. I just replaced my TS head gasket and the old ones were definitely passed their best and unlikely to have been changed after three head removals!!

Not sure on size by my TS should have been 13 and that didn't fit so had to get a 12 as well !

Below are the TS bolt sequences ... but that might not work on a oil-burner! Have look on AlfaWorkshop's site and under their How-To section Alfa Romeo "How To..." Workshop Guides ... although my quick skim didn't show what you need .. a quick call or email might :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg head_bolt_sequence.jpg (13.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg head_bolt_order.jpg (28.5 KB, 10 views)

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 23-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Thanks.

Just in case anyone needs to know in future:

The head bolts are M14 Ribe. Draper make a 7-piece set 1/2" drive which, through Halfords is £31.50 online, click and collect. Couldn't find anywhere cheaper, plenty of places charge £40. M14 is the largest of the set. They are available singly, but harder to find.

The head bolts may be re-used if necessary (advice from [email protected]), although new ones aren't expensive.

Torquing method using an angular deflection gauge is still a mystery, but I should be able to find out c/o Google. Sequence of tightening once 'how the hell' is explained, as above.

The giant HP oil pump bracket separates from the head and may be left on the car, still attached to the block.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by halftone View Post
Torquing method using an angular deflection gauge is still a mystery, but I should be able to find out c/o Google.
I gave up with mine .. the idea is it sits between the torx socket and ratchet/breaker bar. A small bar is attached that "jams" against something unmoveable ... but on mine the small bar kept moving. So I resorted to using tippex to show me when I'd turned it through 90 degrees. Seems to have worked OK for me. I cleaned the tippex off afterwards
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 27-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

So it's tighten to whatever the specified torque is, and then add x degrees?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
16v , bolt , head , jtdm , query

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page