Cambelt! - Advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 27-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Fife

Member car:

156 GTA Q2

Idea Cambelt! - Advice

My GTA is sitting at 34,000 miles and is 4 1/2 years old. Its been fully serviced by the AR garage i bought it from, as new.

It obviously hasnt had its cambelt done yet and with the horror stories going around on this forum, sohuld i be looking to change it NOW?

If so what kind of figures should i be looking at in terms of cost.

Finnally, will it need all components such as tensioners etc changed at the same time, or just the belt itself. Not fmailiar with the procedure on my alfa

Cheers

ET

| Bilstein B16 PSS9 Coilovers | AD Induction | Q2 Upgrade | AD Braided Hoses | 330 Upgrade | Tarox Cross Drilled All-round | Alfa OE 18' GT Alloys In Anthracite | Raga Full SS Exhaust | Alfa Q2 | Icelink Ipod Install |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

cul

Re: Cambelt! - Advice

The horror stories you hear are mainly to do with the 4 cylinder petrol engines and not the v6 or jtd's, but i think you should replace the belt now for piece of mind.
Expect to shell out around £600 total including tensioners ect...
AO Silver Member

Just had mine done (40k miles, and 4 1/2 years old) at Alfa main dealer as part of a 72k service (instead of the scheduled 48k service)
Cost me £990, this included all tensioners etc.
Day light robbery to pay this much for what is only a days work but what price peace of mind - and knowing it was done correctly.
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51

Worth getting the water pump done at the same time, and replace it with a metal impellor one from the 3.0 GTV.
AO Member

Go for 'AforAlfa'. He has a web site. If you can get to Aylesbury he'll do the lot (both belts / variator/ tensioners etc. etc) for £300. He'll come to you for a bit more - but you can chat with him while he does the job - and he's an Alfa nut who enjoys talking you through it all. Cheapest I've found - and you can watch it all happen, so be certain it's A1 work.
AO Member

That said, getting to Fife may be pushing it!!!
AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

Nada at the mo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTigro_UK View Post
My GTA is sitting at 34,000 miles and is 4 1/2 years old. Its been fully serviced by the AR garage i bought it from, as new.

It obviously hasnt had its cambelt done yet and with the horror stories going around on this forum, sohuld i be looking to change it NOW?

If so what kind of figures should i be looking at in terms of cost.

Finnally, will it need all components such as tensioners etc changed at the same time, or just the belt itself. Not fmailiar with the procedure on my alfa

Cheers

ET
I would change it anyway as its nearing the 5 year mark. Regardless of mileage most cambelts are change at 5 years as rubber deteriorates over time and its better to be safe than sorry.

If you don't want to go to a main dealer then give McLennans (just off the Edinburgh bypass) a call. They are widely acknowledged as the leading Alfa independant in Scotland (check Scottish section for recommendations). Link below:

http://www.mclennansgarage.com/
(Post Link) post #8 of 20 Old 28-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcosseOz View Post
I would change it anyway as its nearing the 5 year mark. Regardless of mileage most cambelts are change at 5 years as rubber deteriorates over time and its better to be safe than sorry.

If you don't want to go to a main dealer then give McLennans (just off the Edinburgh bypass) a call. They are widely acknowledged as the leading Alfa independant in Scotland (check Scottish section for recommendations). Link below:

cheers mate, not for when in the GTA!!

ET
(Post Link) post #9 of 20 Old 29-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcosseOz View Post

So i called Mclennans, they quoted me 580 inc vat for belt, tensioners, all associated nic nacs and a new water pump as they recommend at the same time.

is that a good price? sounds AOK to me as they r also doing the Water pump. asked him about the q2 diff, says hes gunna call me bout that .

ET
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51

Sounds very reasonable. I paid a bit more but my fella got the bits from the stealers so paid more for those Still, happy with the job like, especially after reading some of the horror stories on here

Had my cam done on my V6 GT at 72000 by Desira Bury, car was fine before they got their mits on it. It subsequently ran like a pig afterwards, took them a week to sort it out. Took the car to AMC Chelmsford for it's 84000 mile service. Surprise, surprise they had to fit an new cam belt as it was frayed, also turns out the timing was out and the wrong plugs had been previously fitted by Desira's. All I can say is be careful who you let loose on your car!!!!!!!
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 29-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-w View Post
Had my cam done on my V6 GT at 72000 by Desira Bury, car was fine before they got their mits on it. It subsequently ran like a pig afterwards, took them a week to sort it out. Took the car to AMC Chelmsford for it's 84000 mile service. Surprise, surprise they had to fit an new cam belt as it was frayed, also turns out the timing was out and the wrong plugs had been previously fitted by Desira's. All I can say is be careful who you let loose on your car!!!!!!!
oh my word!!!! im sure mclennans look good, lotsa great words on here about them!

ET
newalfisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTigro_UK View Post
oh my word!!!! im sure mclennans look good, lotsa great words on here about them!

ET
Make sure the price includes the 2 idler pulleys. I have heard that few garages don't change them but they only inspect them visually. I agree that they are tough but you never know when fatigue failure will appear.

(Post Link) post #14 of 20 Old 29-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newalfisti View Post
Make sure the price includes the 2 idler pulleys. I have heard that few garages don't change them but they only inspect them visually. I agree that they are tough but you never know when fatigue failure will appear.
duly noted chief, ill ask 2mora.

ET
AO Member

Maclennans are definately the way to go.

I had the GTA serviced there and we deliberated the cambelt change (I had 3.5 years and 20,000 at the time). They were more than willing to do the job and told me about the GTV water pump etc but Stewart said it was a tough call and if the car was his he would leave it till next year.

I was impressed that he would pass up £600 worth of work. The car was serviced and their attention to detail is enormous. I nearly couldn't get the car back from them as there was a squeak from the boot they hadn't tracked down yet.

Really nice guys, really excellent service, fair pricing what more can you say. One heads up, the place doesn't look much from the outside, there will be large piles of Alfa's from all era's in various states in the yard out front. Ikea is just down the road of you like meatballs and there is a bus straight into town.

Let me know about the Q2 as I was thinking along those lines myself.
(Post Link) post #16 of 20 Old 30-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA Q2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwales View Post
Maclennans are definately the way to go.

I had the GTA serviced there and we deliberated the cambelt change (I had 3.5 years and 20,000 at the time). They were more than willing to do the job and told me about the GTV water pump etc but Stewart said it was a tough call and if the car was his he would leave it till next year.

I was impressed that he would pass up £600 worth of work. The car was serviced and their attention to detail is enormous. I nearly couldn't get the car back from them as there was a squeak from the boot they hadn't tracked down yet.

Really nice guys, really excellent service, fair pricing what more can you say. One heads up, the place doesn't look much from the outside, there will be large piles of Alfa's from all era's in various states in the yard out front. Ikea is just down the road of you like meatballs and there is a bus straight into town.

Let me know about the Q2 as I was thinking along those lines myself.
no problem bud, i am looking to do it in the next 2-3 weeks. im going to email stewart the noo about the Q2.

ET
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

You should get your cambelt done ASAP, Having seen the state of my belts on both V6s at four years I really wouldn't like to go any longer than that.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

156GTA & 33racer

On one of mine it was done at 70,000, on the other the car is just coming up to 38,000. So just starting to think about it - as not wanting to push my luck.
(Post Link) post #19 of 20 Old 30-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA Q2

just got a quote from western AR in perth. they quoted 650 inc vat for only the belt and some seals, an estimatre of 4.45 hrs. eesh! the mclennan quote is defo where im goin. it inc the water pump etc in the price.

ET

Can't Beat Piece of mind mate , but realistically you have a few k left in that belt without a doubt , we have to get realistic on this subject and go closer to the manufacturers guidelines , not the scaremongers , ofcourse we have to be careful because its a costly procedure if it goes wrong , but thats why we have these guidelines , if you stick to them i would say slightly prematurely you wont go wrong , Warning if you dont have actual proof ie: recieot of this work ! verbal is exactly what it says verbal get it changed for piece of mind ( happy motoring)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
advice , cambelt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page