The speedo stopped, window motors went funny and then the engine died! Help??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 25-10-07 Thread Starter

The speedo stopped, window motors went funny and then the engine died! Help???

Well, I've loved Alfa's since my Dad got one when I was a kid. So, time to buy a proper car... my choice? The stunning Alfa 156. Originally I wanted a 2.0 JTS but couldn't find one within 80 miles so settled on the 2.0 TS. I've had it a couple of weeks, other than a missing jubilee clip on the air intake which was easily fixed it's been great; a hell of a lot more fun to drive than anything else I've owned.

I don't even hate the fact that it's stopped working - just find myself feeling upset that I can't drive it!

Any way, the problem.

Yesterday I was driving along and the speedo just seemed to die, I couldn't bring myself to believe it when it said I was doing 0mph. So my mate checked it (hey, I'm a noob) and thought it was probably a connection. So, this morning I set off for work and the windows aren't working properly; they go up and down but the motors sound strained.
Decide to leave work thinking tomorrow is a good day to take it to the shop, it turns over, drives 10 yards then almost all of the warning lights come on, the revs start to drop and it cuts out. Tried to turn it over, nothing other than an ever so slight click in the background. None of the noises you get normally with a dead battery or anything - no noise other than this slight click.

Any ideas???

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rayq81

Re: The speedo stopped, window motors went funny and then the engine died! Help???

Check the Battery then the alternator

Rayq81

Re: The speedo stopped, window motors went funny and then the engine died! Help???

and welcome to AO

(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 25-10-07 Thread Starter

Ta muchly, I'll get that checked. It was the lack of anything when trying to turn it over that freaked me out!
Cheers

Also be inclined to check the battery to body earth. As a loose or bad earth can have untold knock on effects in just about every system of the car.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 26-10-07 Thread Starter

Hey, just to say thanks becuase the first mechanic I spoke to said I needed to replace the management system...hmmm.

Well, took your advice, gave the nice Kwik Fit man a sob story (hey, there's only two garages where I live and the otherone wouldn't listen to what I said). They wouldn't believe it was the battery but felt sorry for me and actually came to me (shock) to fit a battery... imagine their shock when it all worked!

Thanks guys, saved me a fortune no doubt! Though, actually the speedo still doesn't work... that's mondays job though!

Cheers
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage

my 147 does odd things like that also and its had a new battery, try checking the big fuses that sit on top of the battery, if its the same as the 147 that way.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
died , engine , funny , motors , speedo , stopped , window

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page